• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ENDOSCOPY HELP

darkness74

:argh:Hi me again sorry to be a pest but dont know who else to ask, i have my endoscopy app at end of month and tbh im bricking it :eek::ashamed0005:. I have a major fear of things triggering my gag reflex after something awful that happened as a child. I have been told that i wont be sedated for the procedure as i have sleep apnea and i really dont know if i will cope with the procedure at all, and i know i cant go any further on my weight loss journey with out it, any ideas how to get through this please. xxxx

I was sedated when I had mine done but my mother inlaw had hers done recently with out and said it really wasn't too bad. She is quite a drama queen so I expected her to complain so hopefully you won't be too bad. Good luck

I was terrified of having mine but wasn't sedated as I couldn't get anyone to drive me home. I am a huge drama queen and regularly gag just from brushing my teeth so I didn't think I would handle it well. I'm not going to lie to you, it was far from pleasant (I'd advise against wearing mascara) but it only lasted a few
minutes. I would try to think about something completely different and have something in the room to focus on, then just breath through it and it will be over before you know it. Best of luck x

Yes thats right. Some hospitals will give you the choice of sedation but if not i ahd 2 endoscopies, lucky me. The 1st time was fine i was so proud of my self. The doc sprays your mouth with some banana flavour liquid, you swallow and it numbs your throat, you ar lying down on your side the nurse stays at your head she wiped my tears stroked my hair and talked me through it all the way teling me to breathe and to let the wind out i thought was going to be pumping but no it was long windy loud burps while they were doing it sounded like a sealion barking. It not the nicest thing but certainly isnt the worst just listen to the nurses voice and think nice thoughts, soon over. I had a another 1, 6 weeks later, i cried when i got that letter had to be brave all over again when i had mentally ticked it off my list, and thought i was on the list. But went a nd did it then i was on the list. The last 1 was at the end March last year and I had my op in August. Just another hoop we have to jump through so just approach and accept it it has to be done. xx

Its not the nicest thing to have but it's over quite quickly. Mine was at Sunderland and they were amazing - just as Chrisa explained above (I had the numbing spray and the sedation as I was having a balloon inserted at same time - believe me it was much worse than the endo). I have a very sensitive gag reflex but the endo wasnt too bad. You might have weird gurgly burps...I did! Don't worry, you'll be fine.

The sedation was pointless I remember it all when they told me to swallow I was nearly sick lol the gassy bits after wasn't the best

Aye they can't knock you out completely as you do need to swallow. TBH I was more dozy with the anti-sickness meds they gave me after I had the balloon in than with the sedation for the procedure.

Ahhhhh lovie, I'm sorry you're so frightened, I fully understand.
Have a chat with your GP or Bariatric team and tell them how you feel. Big hugs to you. x

I was just like you, terrified with a gag reflex just brushing my teeth.
Mine was absolutely fine, it was not painful & over so quickly. I actually had a 'stretch' too when they did my endoscopy. May need another one & I am now not afraid to have it done again.
Good luck.

Horrid thing to go through but if a stretch is needrd, they do then and there. I had a stretch and now can eat x

Luton left me to book my own.... do think if I forget they will forget.....Nah prob not and not worth missing my surgery.

Glad it's all over and done with x

Back