• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers - how long was your ng tube in?

indianlight

My biggest fear is tubes and anything really going down the back of my throat. I accepted years ago that I can't swallow tablets and my GP accepts this now. I don't react very well to a camera being put down either...aherm.. ask the last surgeon who said I didn't need sedated than had to call for 8 people to hold me down with the camera halfway and had to knock me out...lol..Do you get the picture??

Anyway, I didn't realise but my surgeon leaves the ng tube in for 3 days until hes satisfied there aren't any leaks and has done his dye test...yikes!!

The question I have is can you feel it all the time? I know its not as thick as a camera but if I can feel it at the back of my throat I will gag constantly and before I went to surgery this is what stressed me the most...

Also, Calcium tablets! I've been told they are the size of horse tablets...do they come in any other form? maybe a liquid???

Can't answer about the NG tube, as I didn't have one.

The calcium though are calcichew, which dissolve in your mouth, and taste lemony. I really like them :)

Thanks shel thats one thing off my mind....lol

I am like you and hate anything like that in my throat, your experience of the camera made me laugh as i thought i was experiencing my ERCP all over again.

The only knowledge I have of ng tubes was when I had one for sepsis. I gagged like hell when they put it down that is when i was awake and i felt like i felt it on every swallow. I had one put down near the completion of my operation, and this one I didnt feel at all when I came round and forgot it was there.

I presume yours will be done when your knocked out, so my judgement is you wont feel it or notice it. Fingers crossed for you.

like you a massive fear of mine
No one in my ward had one they had just stopped doing them at ST Richards

Explain how you feel but the girl just leaving said it was tiny very thin and she hardly knew it was there

xx

I never had a nose tube and the calcium dissolve quickly. The vitamins from the GP are large when you have first had surgery but after a while you dont notice them....no need to worry chick concentrate on your new image...xx

nope didnt have an NG tube, my surgeon does the dye tests as hes doing the op. Also havent had any supplements such as calcium, or antacid tablets like others have. All surgeons work to their own rule it seems! x

I have had NG tubes a couple of times the first time it was in a few days and it really didnt bother me that much I too have a sensitive gag reflex but as it is down when you come round it isnt as unpleasant as having to have it passed when you are awake.
I wouldnt worry too much indian sounds worse than it is, in my experience......now a urinary catheter that was unpleasant irritated like billio and hoping I dont need one post op xx

No tubes or dye done here (I watched the operation on DVD afterward. Instead I think he checked for leaks and the integrity of the operation sites by blowing air down into the stomach and looking for bubbles around the areas where he had sealed or reattached pieces) . Fascinating in a very peculiar looking at your own insides sort of way.

Haven't had the calcium tablets yet. I can't even face the liquid supplement on a regular basis.

Big empathetic hugs... Completely understand the concerns..
yoyo

Thanks everyone, I feel more reassured now...phew.

I did tell my surgeon my fear but as he operates on a friday and then checks on a monday with the dye he told me its non negotiable!!

Isn't it strange how different surgeons are?!? I was told calcium supplements are essential for the first 9 months and yet some people don't have to take them at all...hmm! makes you wonder doesn't it?!?!

My biggest fear is tubes and anything really going down the back of my throat. I accepted years ago that I can't swallow tablets and my GP accepts this now. I don't react very well to a camera being put down either...aherm.. ask the last surgeon who said I didn't need sedated than had to call for 8 people to hold me down with the camera halfway and had to knock me out...lol..Do you get the picture??

Anyway, I didn't realise but my surgeon leaves the ng tube in for 3 days until hes satisfied there aren't any leaks and has done his dye test...yikes!!

The question I have is can you feel it all the time? I know its not as thick as a camera but if I can feel it at the back of my throat I will gag constantly and before I went to surgery this is what stressed me the most...

Also, Calcium tablets! I've been told they are the size of horse tablets...do they come in any other form? maybe a liquid???

Hi There

I hope this link works

http://fau.pearlashes.com/anatomy/Chapter 36/Chapter 36_files/image013.jpg

If it does I think you will see why you don't really feel the tube...I think this tube bypasses that part of the throat.

I had to have a Endoscopy a couple of years back...It was horrible...They sprayed the back of my throat with this numbing stuff that felt just as bad as the scope itself.

Hope it helps.

xXx

Last edited:
I never had a nose tube either and my calcium tabs are Adcal-D3 you can suck them or chew them and they are fruit flavoured

Thanks Snow, that settles my mind a little bit. It looks like I might be able to feel it a little but it's going to be much further back than I thought...thankfully.

another question...does anyone have difficulty with any of the supplements? or anything else?

Back