• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help....needle phobic!!!

amysbypass

Any have any tips on dealing with needles???

i can just about handle an injection and feel like i'm going to pass out if having blood taken. How am i going to cope with a iv drip??? Its veins and needles that freak me out most.
I know in the grand scheme of things i shouldn't worry but it is my biggest fear about my op, which is in a little over a months time. 21st august. Also the catheter!!!!
please help someone!!!!

Hi Amy,

As a fellow phobic, I can understand what you're saying! From my experience, this is what you'll have to deal with.

You'll have blood taken on the morning of surgery probably. Just a normal blood test. Deep breaths and look the other way.

When you go to theatre, they will put an IV line in the back of your hand. In theory, the guys that do it do them over and over again and should be experts at getting them in quickly. You'll be too busy having last minute panics about the surgery to care what they're doing and they will be relaxing you anyway. A few minutes after that's in, you'll be out. *If* they need to put any more in, it will be done while you're asleep. I only had the one though.

The catheter will be put in while you're asleep, so don't worry about that. Having them removed is a breeze, you won't feel a thing.

The only thing I can suggest, if you are getting very anxious about it all, is to get your GP to prescribe you a few tubes of Emla and some Tegaderm patches. Emla is the white numbing cream they use on children before blood tests etc. I had it on script until I was 18 or 19 lol, and it helped! Irony is, taking the Tegaderm off hurts more than any needle!

If you don't want Emla, just be honest with the staff about your phobia, and ask yourself how much you want the surgery. The needles will be over with in a few minutes, but the skinny you will be around for a long time (and skinnier people have a far easier time with blood tests, less fat to dig through, so it's worth it just for that!).

Amy...try not to worry, I've just had surgery twice in 8 weeks and on both occasions they asked me if I was needle phobic.

I think most places ask you now as a matter of course, but if not just tell them.

The emla cream that Shell mentioned is fantastic..my husband has been using it whilst having a huge tattoo of his done and he doesn't feel a thing :)

Oooh Elma cream I might try this as Iv got to inject myself for six weeks after my surgery !

you can get it at larger branches of Boots...we paid approx £16-£17 for a 30g tube, but that would last you ages if you're just using tiny amounts for injection sites...it was cheaper from an online pharmacy, but by the time you pay for p&p it was almost the same as getting it at Boots.

you can get it at larger branches of Boots...we paid approx £16-£17 for a 30g tube, but that would last you ages if you're just using tiny amounts for injection sites...it was cheaper from an online pharmacy, but by the time you pay for p&p it was almost the same as getting it at Boots.

Thanks I will go and see if I can get some I want some bio oil too ! so could be costly :(

Any have any tips on dealing with needles???

i can just about handle an injection and feel like i'm going to pass out if having blood taken. How am i going to cope with a iv drip??? Its veins and needles that freak me out most.
I know in the grand scheme of things i shouldn't worry but it is my biggest fear about my op, which is in a little over a months time. 21st august. Also the catheter!!!!
please help someone!!!!

Unfortunately you're just gonna have to grin and bear it

I am petrified of needles :eek:, i was crying when the anesthetist was putting the cream on my hand to numb the sting :cry: and I was crying in theatre when they were putting the drip into my hand and when all the stuff was coming through the drip :cry:, my only saving grace was the anesthetist's assistant, he was lovely, he kept petting me saying it will be alright, he was very calming and next thing I knew I was waking up.

When getting my bloods done in pregnancies they have to give me the gas & air or I faint, im such a light weight when it comes to needles and I should be well use to them by now but they get me every time

There is nothing anyone can tell you that will calm you... believe me i have tried them all, you could try hypnotism, I just couldn't be bothered wasting the money on it incase it didn't work

Good luck

I too used to be afraid of needles but I'm ok now. I can't watch the needle going in or out though. I just look away and take a deep breath and don't have a problem. If you concentrate on the deep breaths it should help you. Good luck sweetheartxx

Richard, you're such a good guy :rolleyes:

Like thats going to bother me. I'm having injections every day for the next 5 months. Been going since April. My world is full of little pricks (insert your own flippant comment here).

Kelly gaynor is right the heparin needles are so fine you dont feel them going in be brave really its not as bad as you think
Amy shell is right there will be lots going on and the likelihood is you will be asleep through ivs and catheters going in be a big brave girl, you know it will be worth it.............LOL

Jay xx

Massive compared to yours Richard ;)

whats the biggest prick you ever had richard ? cumm on tell us we ladies really wanna know now ;) :rolleyes:

Back