• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

endoscopy

Are endoscopies common with bariatric surgery then? In what situations would they be done? Can I ask why any of you have had to have them and what op you are having?

I know I would never be able to have one. Just reading this thread has me panicking and crying. They would have to put me right out before they would get me to have anything like this.

they need to take a look at your stomach to check it's healthy before they do the bypass. Better that they check now than risk complications with the surgery. No it's not pleasant but honestly once it's over it's over and it is a short procedure. If you do need to have one, perhaps your gp could give you some anti anxiety meds for short term use to help you get through it?

Are endoscopies common with bariatric surgery then? In what situations would they be done? Can I ask why any of you have had to have them and what op you are having?

I know I would never be able to have one. Just reading this thread has me panicking and crying. They would have to put me right out before they would get me to have anything like this.

Gerry at Sunderland they like to do an endoscopy to make sure everything is ok in the stomach, as during surgery it is sealed and very difficult to see if anything is going wrong in the remainder of the stomach (not the pouch) after surgery. It isn't a pleasant procedure but it is usually quite quick.

I have had 3 endoscopy's in the past 6 weeks and have another one booked for this thursday. I have never been weighed ur surgeon will check your notes and see ur weight and give u enough sedation so you are not meant to remember what actually happened but u r actually awake.
The throat spray numbs your throat and def makes it easier.
I must admit that my last Endoscopy was traumatic for me as i tried to take the tubes out of my throat although i was under sedation and this freaked me out. My surgeon thinks the reason why i was not sedated enough is that i had been in hospital for 12 days and been on Morphine for eleven of those days and the morphine made the sedation not very effective.
My first endoscopy i was totally out of it till 45 mins after the procedure and woke up in the recovery ward.
Every person reacts different but pls dont worry i am sure u will be ok, if you have any concerns speak to ur surgeon b4 the procedure, also if u r sedated u have to have someone to pick u up. I was given my results straight away but each hospital might operate different xx

Sugga an endoscopy or gastroscopy is where a tube with a light and camera is passed into your mouth, down your throat and gullet and into your stomach and maybe a bit beyond. It's used to see into the stomach and intestines to check for problems. The view3 from the camera is seen on a screen in the endoscopy room.
People have it before bypass because following bypass the stomach is sealed off so any problems couldn't then be seen or treated.

Back