• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous about endoscopy

Su2ie

I got a letter a while ago saying I'd been approved by the mdt and listed for endoscopy. Now got my appointment through for 3rd oct. I'm really nervous about it and questioning the whole idea of surgery.
How have people found the endoscopy? Is it better to go for sedation or throat spray?

I had one of those years ago and I was only given a throat spray I wont lie to you I didn't like it but I had to have it done so just got on with it as having a sedation meant a delay in the process for me
I wish you luck keep us informed on how it all went

I got a letter a while ago saying I'd been approved by the mdt and listed for endoscopy. Now got my appointment through for 3rd oct. I'm really nervous about it and questioning the whole idea of surgery. How have people found the endoscopy? Is it better to go for sedation or throat spray?

I was more worried about the endoscopy than the thought of surgery. Need not have been. The endoscopy was absolutely fine.

I opted for mild sedation and was out and done so quick it was like a dream.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Thanks, I'm sure I'm probably being a wuss :)

My hubby is away so my sister is coming with me so I don't have to drive home.

Dreading it but it's one step closer!

I had an endoscopy on Friday without sedation as I'm a tough cookie and it was the most hideous thing I have ever experienced. Whatever you do, get sedation. Although it was all over in 10 minutes it was the sensation of having the endoscope down which was so unnatural, burping with your mouth wedged open as they pump you with gas, not being able to swallow so saliva everywhere.

Have sedation and you'll be fine! It's the one time I wish I wasn't tough.

On the plus side, they figured out what has been wrong post op so it was worth it.

Go for sedation hun, you will be fine you will wake up and it will all be over you i had one under sedation in may and like that i was more worried about that than the op but it turned out fine i went home thinking what did i work my self up over ..... once u wake up after it you get tea and toast and its like nothing ever happent.

I have never had one but I think the message is loud and clear, have sedation! Do they do that on everyone having wls or is it for a particular reason?

Debbie

Thanks everyone. I wasn't going to go for sedation but after reading everyone's comments think I'll change my mind!! Bleurgh!!

I have never had one but I think the message is loud and clear, have sedation! Do they do that on everyone having wls or is it for a particular reason?

Debbie
Exactly what I was going to ask! Do we all have this to look forward to? x

I think most surgeons like to go in to see how things are in there before they operate, they look for things like hernias, ulcers, test for a bug called hellicobacter pyorli.... having said that some surgeons dont require the endoscopy but its pretty routine to have one pre surgery.

I had one on Tuesday and I can also say that it was horrendous! I only had the throat spray which made m3 sick and then I retched uncontrollably. They took biopsys which were painful. That being said, I am glad I didn't get sedated because I hate hanging around in recovery. I could go immediately afterwards.

I've had a mini GA for one, which was fine and sedation for the other, which was fine and I made all the staff laugh by being off my nut lol :)

Back