• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Energy Levels

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
has anyone else experienced this.

Almost 4 weeks post op, I can't believe it, it has flown by, but I have no energy at all, and haven't had for a few days now.

I have read this could be something to do with the B12 injection, but I was given one of those the day after my operation.

Any suggestions on how I can get over this quickly or what it could be?

hi pg im 5 weeks post op and had 6 vit b12 injections and ive got very little energy im back to work tomorrow luckily ive got an office job but im still knackered i cleaned one window today and had to sit down for an hour, how ridiculous, but i suppose it will get better; hopefully xxx

I have been wondering about energy levels as so close to the op calorie consumption is bound to be so low. I'm hoping to go back to work after 4 weeks but I'll need to be tip top energy wise as it's going to be a really demanding time.
I'm sure an experienced post opper will be around soon to tell us when the tiredness passes!

I'm 4 weeks post op and the nurse told me at my 2 week check up that it's to be expected for the next few weeks or so. Your body is having to cope with less input (so less energy) and it will take a while for your body to catch up and get used to it. One minute you can be fine and think you can do anything, then the next you're ready for a sleep!

I'm 8 weeks post op on Friday and have been back at work for 5 weeks and I am still exhausted, I work 9-5 mon-fri, and I always say to myself I'll do things when I get in from work but I never do cos I'm so knackered, I'm at the hospital now waiting for my post op so I'm going to ask about energy levels, I'll let you know later, Karen x

its all down to nutrition and lack of quanity, up your protein and have some carbs with every meal. your next b12 is due at 12 weeks post op. Try and get some iron rich food into you as well

5 weeks post op tomorrow and also very low energy..... not seeing doc for post op until sept! not going back to work until 1st sept either. ive had b12 aswell..... just hoping it picks up soon xxx

I'm 8 weeks post op on Friday and have been back at work for 5 weeks and I am still exhausted, I work 9-5 mon-fri, and I always say to myself I'll do things when I get in from work but I never do cos I'm so knackered, I'm at the hospital now waiting for my post op so I'm going to ask about energy levels, I'll let you know later, Karen x

Hope your appt went well Karen. I'm looking forward to hearing what the doc says re energy.
The rest of you feeling so cream wotsited is freaking me out a bit ! I need to be fighting fit by the 4 week mark but it seems that fatigue at that stage is more the norm than the exception. Hope you all get you vu-vu verve back soon:D

Last edited:
I was fine week 1 and 2 and then week 3 the lack of energy shocked me - I was planning to go back to work - ended up having another 2 weeks off! Feeling bit better now but still have that odd "fall asleep after lunch" scenario going on - just like my 77 year old dad!!

I was shattered at 4 weeks out but have picked up since. If I don't have enough protein my energy levels dip again though.
I haven't had any VitB12 jabs as yet. Had my 7 week post op check up today and all my bloods were fine so I don't need it. My surgeon said they will re-assess that in three months time.

I find that a small banana helps me a lot with my energy.

I remember what i referred to as a 'wave of exhaustion' at 4 weeks post op, it actually prevented me from returning to work as i wasnt ready following this.

Rest and as others say up your protein... I doubt if you are deficient in B12 so soon post op.

Look after yourself first and foremost xx

My energy levels didn't really pick up for 2 months. Your body is healing and also having to cope with a vast reduction in calorie intake which will take a while adjusting to. Keep your fluid intake up and make sure to rest regularly and make sure you're following your post op diet and your energy levels will soon pick up.

Totally normal as others have said,I havnt had b12 but have masses of energy cant keep still walking everywhere gym 3 times a week etc.Eat more complex carbs to up your energy levels.I swear by oats,rye bread,potato!

Am I right in assuming dependant on which op you have as to how quickly your energy levels bounce back or is it just a case of according to each individuals response. Or a mixture of both?

The dietician said make sure I eat carbs with every meal to keep ebergy levels up, drink plenty of fluids, and eat 6 portions of protein a day, drink a glass of milk every day to make sure you're getting enough protein. Also excercising gives you more energy and well being. ALso said I can take Vitamin B Complex inbetween B12 jabs.

Hope this helps, Karen x

If I could bottle what I feel this morning I would be rich!
Its like a natural high so strange for me.I had a couch imprinted on me bum!Now I cant sit still,it must be a combination of less weight,better nutrition and exersize.Duh everything I have resisted over the years.I can see now how Mixxy does all that cycling!

The dietician said make sure I eat carbs with every meal to keep ebergy levels up, drink plenty of fluids, and eat 6 portions of protein a day, drink a glass of milk every day to make sure you're getting enough protein. Also excercising gives you more energy and well being. ALso said I can take Vitamin B Complex inbetween B12 jabs.

Hope this helps, Karen x
Hi Karen, just been reading that you've been back for a follow up after surgery, ive not heard from them and i had mine 2 months before you. did you have to phone them?

Hi Karen, just been reading that you've been back for a follow up after surgery, ive not heard from them and i had mine 2 months before you. did you have to phone them?

No my appointment came about a week after surgery, I would ring the hospital, there may have been a problem on the admin side, Karen x

Back