• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ensure milkshakes

FatBoySlimin

Hi, has anyone else been given ensure milkshakes by their hospital? I have been given enough for 3 a day but they are 330kcal each. Is this not way to much?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I've never had them but I would think that post-op the nutrients etc in them, especially the protein, are probably what your body needs to heal properly.

And while 990 calories sounds a lot compared with what many people have post op, it's still in the low calorie diet category.

Knowing what I was like post-op though, I don't think I would have struggled with the calories, just drinking 3 full shakes.

I'm no medical expert by ANY stretch of the imagination but I really do think the protein/nutrients in them will give you the very best start post-op so sup away :-D

Hi Lincs Lass thanks for that. I figured they would know what's best but my dietician never mentioned getting them at all. Ill keep taking them and check with her on Monday/Tuesday even she's back.

I'm quite surprised how easy I'm finding getting the fluids in. I'm naturally thirsty anyway but pretty much getting 2L of water a day already and I'm only day 3 post op.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

It's funny how they spring things on you post-op.

Mine was the injections into the stomach!

Well done on making such good progress. I don't know if it will happen to you but about 5-6 days post op I had a sudden nosedive in energy and just wanted to sleep. If that happens - make the most of it !!

Back