• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advise re protein please

mrs df

Hi all,

I'm only 4 days post op so at the mo I'm still just trying to keep my fluids up but once I'm a bit more stable, what amount of protein in grams should I be aiming for each day?
Thanks muchly :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I wouldn't worry too much about your protein intake until your on solid food. Then you should sim for 100g a day. In the meantime, try adding skimmed milk powder to hot drinks, soups etc and concentrate on keeping your fluids up :)

Your surgical team will discuss this with you at your next review. 100g is a good target and you should be OK at that level but a lot depends on our ability to assimilate protein, our weight, how much exercise we are doing etc, etc, etc. They will know your case better than anyone else so will have a better view on how much you should eat. Meantime you'll struggle to get anywhere near that value at first but don't stress about it. Get as much as you can down your neck from the diet your team gave you, the rest will take care of itself at first hun x

Your surgical team will discuss this with you at your next review. 100g is a good target and you should be OK at that level but a lot depends on our ability to assimilate protein, our weight, how much exercise we are doing etc, etc, etc. They will know your case better than anyone else so will have a better view on how much you should eat. Meantime you'll struggle to get anywhere near that value at first but don't stress about it. Get as much as you can down your neck from the diet your team gave you, the rest will take care of itself at first hun x

Thanks Karlos,
I will be doing a lot of exercise after my 6 weeks as prior to putting in weight I was a fitness freak. I know this sounds mad.... Why the weight gain then? ...... I had serious industrial injury 4 yrs ago and became disabled. During those 4 years being pretty housebound I put on 5 stones. I finally had a major spinal operation on 6 dec last year and I'm now able to train again but not high impact. My reason for surgery is because 1. Sons wedding in August and I need a head start and 2. I feel trapped in my "fat suit" and having lost 4 yrs of my life I am ready to move on as soon as possible.
I really appreciate the help this site gives and despite some of the comments you have received on your "Tough Love" thread, I like your down to earth approach.
Ta muchly :))) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Make sure your surgical team clear you for each type of exercise you want to do, and tell them before you ramp up the intensity for at least the first six months or so. I reckon you'll be a great WLS success and cant wait to see you progress x

Back