• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories?!?!

greyputy

Okay I know we need to build up our calorie level to about 1250 or something but when?!? I am 11 days post op sleeve and managing an average of 500. My weight has levelled the last 3 days and wonder if it's cos I'm not getting enough calories :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I had around 750 at that time?!

Okay I know we need to build up our calorie level to about 1250 or something but when?!? I am 11 days post op sleeve and managing an average of 500. My weight has levelled the last 3 days and wonder if it's cos I'm not getting enough calories :(

No its because you've just had surgery and your body needs time to heal and to get over the trauma. No one stalls at two weeks post op trust me.

Karlos said:
No its because you've just had surgery and your body needs time to heal and to get over the trauma. No one stalls at two weeks post op trust me.

Hi Karlos

I realise it is major surgery but I can assure you I have stayed the same weight since the 28/11.

I am currently weighing myself every two days at the moment. I weighed the same yesterday as I did on the 28th so I decided to try again today. I weigh myself on the wii balance board which is remarkably accurate (when compared with my Dr surgery and the scales at the hospital on day of discharge).

It is just a small stick and I am not overly concerned as I realise it will shift soon enough. My main thought is concerning the amount of calories I am taking in. I do not want my body to go into starvation mode but I also don't want to miss out on the extra weight loss in the early stages :(

JO28172 said:
I had around 750 at that time?!

Thanks Jo. I think twice I have had that amount. Mainly on a day when I have not had homemade soup or stew. (very filling) :)

How far post op are you now and how many calories are you consuming?

Bit diff for me as I'm a bander but was working upto 1000 cals ish but had a fill this week which has really set me back, struggling to get 400 in me! My op was 4th oct xx

As you know I have stalled as well...... must be a Sleevers thing ;) x x

xxpigsgalorexx said:
As you know I have stalled as well...... must be a Sleevers thing ;) x x

Bexs has as well. I think you might be right ;-) xxx

Hi Karlos

I realise it is major surgery but I can assure you I have stayed the same weight since the 28/11.

I am currently weighing myself every two days at the moment. I weighed the same yesterday as I did on the 28th so I decided to try again today. I weigh myself on the wii balance board which is remarkably accurate (when compared with my Dr surgery and the scales at the hospital on day of discharge).

It is just a small stick and I am not overly concerned as I realise it will shift soon enough. My main thought is concerning the amount of calories I am taking in. I do not want my body to go into starvation mode but I also don't want to miss out on the extra weight loss in the early stages :(

I weighed every day, in fact several times a day but to be honest that's far too much. I recommend you set a time and day and weigh each week just once. Monday morning or something like that. We all lose at different rates and some are slower than others and jumping on the scales every couple of hours or even just once every day can be disappointing for you if you don't see them dropping every time. That leads to stress and that only contributes to slower loss.

I know its easy for me to say this especially as I didn't follow my own advice, but it really is the best way for some.

Well after increasing my water intake to 1.25 litre plus my 2 cups of tea and glass of milk at bedtime.... it seems to have worked.... my weight had actually gone up to 15st 4 mid week and was 15st 3 yesterday.... but today (official weigh day!)..... I've actually lost from weigh day last week........ only 1lb but its a loss so the fluids thing must work!!!! yay ;) x x

I am averaging 400 a day, I am 2 weeks out today and lost 8lb this week so if you were in starvation mode, I would be too. It may just be your body taking a rest and next week you'll have a big loss. you can't be gaining or staying the same for long with so few calories so don't worry. Stay off the scales till next Saturday. xx

greyputy said:

Which surgery did you have? I was told that the RNY helps to keep your body from going into starvation mode for at least the first year. Make sur you get all your protein (and then some) which does have calories. Also, drink your water. Losing weight, especially this quickly, is hard on your body. Take measurements. You will be loosing inches before you see it on the scale. Also, you will hit many plateaus on your journey. Hang it there and keep following the prgram and you will be amazed. It is worth it! I went from 255 to 128 and my life has completely changed for the better in so many ways I can't list them.

How do you notice when your body goes in starvation mode?

Debbie15 said:
How do you notice when your body goes in starvation mode?

I guess you stop losing weight. Probably feel weak as well as it stops burning the fat and starts eating at the muscle to survive. Make sure you drink plenty fluids cos that seems to keep the weight loss going so it doesn't :)

Back