• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

excrsize or no excersize?

CHUCKY

Hi all
have a question i had bypass in aug 09 and up untill Jan lost avaerage of stone a month. joined gym in feb and weight loss has really slowed down lost 5lb 1st month then 2 the 2nd well the last month lost nothing at all. So havent been to gym for 10 days and have lost 5lb in a week. cant work that out. I know someone will say muscle ect but i need to loose weight thats y i had bypass.
Just wandered if anyone could explain at all?
thanks julie

Hi Julie, i cant really answer your question but i've lost 10 stone in 12months and have done very little excercise throughout the year, think it was a case of 'it it aint broke then dont fix it'. However i have said to myself that as i get near to target that i will start excercising even if it's just to help tone myself up.

I am sorry i can't help Julie, although it does sound as though you were making muscle. Do you measure your inches on a regular basis (i'm so glad your a lady :) ) if so did you see a difference in that way?

I think Lisa has a good attitude, she is still losing and doesnt feel the need to exercise yet, my only fear would be that eventually when there is no fat to melt away it would go for the muscle for munching...

Am sure someone with experience will come along soon and give some sensible advice rather than the ramblings of a stressed out mom of 2 pre pubescent females :)

Well done on your losses so far xx

Julie, exactly the same thing happened to me. My weight loss stopped when I started running, and I had a 3 week stall. Then I was poorly and couldnt run and dropped 12lb in 2 weeks whilst I wasnt exercising.

Its a catch 22 situation. Its tempting not to exercise as I hate it when I stall, but I know that long term it's better for me as the more muscle we have the higher our metabolism which will benefit us as we get to maintenance.

Also, during my 3 week stall whilst I was exercising, my shape started to change dramatically.

Ive just had an op, but hoping to start exercising again very soon. I have done a fair bit of walking today and am hoping to get back to the gym very soon.

thanks for your replies been on holiday for a week and eaten bit more than usual and wrong things comparred to useal have come home and only put on a pound b4 op it would have been more like 10lb.
going to give gym a miss for a while and start walking again now nicer weather here.
Take care all x

I do find I don't lose as much when I go to the gym, BUT I really do like how my shape changes when I work out - my clothes fit better, my skin looks better and I am sure building up muscles stops my skin from sagging so much. I want to be fit as well as slim so I think diet and exercise is the way to go for me. Years ago when I was about 12 stone and my friend was 9 stone we both worked for a company who did a voluntary health check up day where a doctor came in and took all your health readings (bp, cholestrol, lung capacity test, weight etc) and I came out tops on all except weight (I was exercising at the time) and my friend's readings were all sky high. It struck me then that weight alone doesn't tell you how healthy you are. I really understand the need to keep losing weight and seeing the scale go down and why people don't want to ruin that with building muscle but I personally feel better knowing I'm giving my body exercise - just wish I could get my stomach flat!

The thing is with exercise, it does much more for your body than just help you lose weight.

It's all about muscle as well and your lung capacity and healthy heart too.

Yes, it's good for losing weight but it's not just the sole purpose.

I always feel good about myself after exercise too and have negative feelings if I don't exercise!

My Experience is very similar to Lisa i haven't done much exercise over the last 8 months and have lost nearly 8.5 stone. I know all the benefits of exercise and im not advocating that you don't exercise just it works for me so far x

I think it really is a case of personal choice. Exercise makes some people feel good - others find it a pain, I think the important thing is to do what makes you happy and that you get something out of and if you can find some hobby that gets your body moving and that you enjoy then that is just as good and beneficial as pounding the treadmill. An important thing to remember as well is exercise can be addictive (I can remember an anoxeric girl I used to work with who hardly ate and ran 10 miles after work every night - her use of exercise was detrimental to her health). Everything in moderation I say!

My best friend is a recovering anorexic and as you say Stella she in previous times went to the gym and would be there all afternoon every day doing classes and the gym itself and she recognised her addiction. I see where you are coming from Mixie i'm so used to associating exercise with losing weight only and there is more to it. I'm starting Zumba classes as i can't stand the gym so hopefully that will go a bit of the way to helping. xx

The way I look at it is this, and I'm sorry if I talk out of turn. But I didn't get morbidly obese in the first place by going to the gym or riding my bike. My story is that I got very fat by being very lazy and eating very lots of very bad food. It only makes sense to me that by eating very less (Through having the operation) eating very good food and doing a very lot of exercise I will reverse what I have done to myself, no one else is to blame but me, and become very fit.

Like I said before, this is my reasoning for my journey and why I believe this is the best way for me.

I know people have had injuries or illnesses and their approach is going to be different.

Peace and love to all xx

Mixman thats a fair point mate when i was younger i trained, played football and cricket at a high level so i was fit and at that time around 17st due to weight training as well UNFORTUNATELY i stopped and piled the weight on now though i try to get to the gym 3/4 times a week just doing cardio for an hour without rest ie burning quickly and it seems to work for me has my weight hasnt slowed down (though tbh i want it to now) and my shape is returning, i think has its been said above that its everybodys preference and good luck to all whether they excercise or not.

I used to go to the gym maybe once a month but would get so hot and sweaty, even BEFORE I did any exercise, that I never got to the stage of giving my muscles a workout. It is so much easier and so much more enjoyable now. I quite look forward to going because I can feel the difference to my shape. When I do sit ups now I can really feel my muscles working. I don't do loads but just do what I enjoy. But each to their own, it doesn't seem to help my weightloss but it does help with me flabby bits!

I also find if I exercise the weightloss slows right down. I exercise in fits and starts, sometimes I walk/cross train every day then do nothing for weeks. I've been in the 'done nothing for weeks' stage for err about 2 months now. :eek:

Will definitely start exercising religiously again when I want to try and tone up the flabby bits.

Cuppa xx

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but my personal opinion is that it doesn't really matter what I weigh but it does matter what I look like and how well my clothes fit me. If I was to just lose weight without doing any exercise not only would I be completely unfit, I'd also have poor muscle mass and saggy bits of flesh for which I'd still need to carefully pick & choose clothing to hide certain bits. I'd like to be able to show off a firm curvy body and wear tight fitting clothing again. Ok, I doubt very much I'll ever resemble Davina McCall (I wish!) but I'll damn well try my hardest to get as close as possible :D

My intention, once I've healed properly of course, is to focus more on sport & exercise to include cardio & weights, swimming, cycling, running, squash, badminton, horse riding etc... most of which I used to do before I transformed into the obese lump I am today! :rolleyes:

I also hope I'll eventually get round to buying another horse or two as that's one of the best overall body workouts I know of (apart from swimming of course) with all the mucking out, grooming, lugging heavy sacks of feed & bales of hay about, and of course the riding! I was never fitter than when I owned horses.

I quite fancy trying boxercise too, but that will be quite a way down the road once I've reached my target weight as it's such an energetic sport. I don't want to come across as holier than thou, that's certainly not my intention, and I know sport & exercise is not for everybody whether that be due to illness, disability, personal preference etc.

For me it's as important for my health (physical & mental) as much as anything else. There are so many things I still want to achieve in my life, many of which require high levels of fitness & endurance... e.g. climbing Kilimanjaro, trekking through rain forests, scuba diving, walking the Three Peaks, cycling from JOG to LE etc... but most importantly I'd like to get back into research projects, maybe even do a PhD, which will involve a large amount of field work in some very remote and tricky environments.

I once thought that part of my life was over forever but now I've been given a second chance thanks to this wonderful life-enhancing surgery and I intend to embrace it with both hands and make the most of it! :superwoman: :character00180:

Oooops apologies for rambling on again... can't you just tell Im bored sitting around doing nothing!! :8855:

You go girl ! You are so motivated and have so much determination you'll be able to achieve anything you wish... x

WOW what a response some really usefull and valid comments. I will take them all on board.
I am walking at moment and will see how i feel and i can always start gym again anytime.

Cheers all x

Back