• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise and mobility post operatively

everpositive

Hi guys,

This site is great, thanks so much to everyone!

As a 24 stone person, exercise or anything even half like exertion is pretty much an impossibility for me :eek:. I'm really looking forward to being able to move without pain, panting, sweating, looking like a beetroot. I recognise I wont be doing marathons for some time, but do those of you who've had the bypass find your energy levels are up pretty quickly? Also, what are the obvious differences to your mobility and ability to do more?

Cheers everyone.
xx

Hi Claire, and yes I feel a huge amount better after surgery. About 3 months before surgery I broke my ankle and was completely inactive. Right before surgery, I really dreaded going out in case the lift in my 4 story flat was broken as it sometimes is. Now, I can easily take the stairs and not need a nap when I get to the bottom. It was gradual over the last 5 weeks but I am feeling much more energetic already.;)

Last edited:
I am four weeks post op and not had that much energy with one thing and another but today I have cleaned my house from top to bottom and boy did it need it lol...I can now relax and watch the tv without feeling guilty...I have to say its a long time since I have still felt ok after doing it all, normally I have to push and push to get it done so I would say my energy levels have increased and the best bit is NO SWEATING....xx

I have always been active even at 21 stone but that is due to the job i do. when i lost weight last year on LT i started going swimming again and have carried on doing that. I also started an aerobics class and going to the gym.
the one thing i did struggle with is if i get down on the floor i need to pull myself up on something.
My energy levels increased after 3 days on my pre op diet and have continued since. I was back swimming 11 days after my bypass and went back to the gym last week.
Hope you have the same positive experiance
HC

Back