• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise two weeks post operation!?

beepbeepcat

Advice please....I would like to do some mild exercise what's good other than walking or swimming. I'm two weeks post operation but have massive bruises, swelling a numb areas.
I have a step machine would that be OK to start?
Can I ride my bike?
I'm going back to work next week and have a very active job as a pre school teacher but want to get motivated.

Hun, your body is in ketosis and will be for about three months until you have completed the transit back to solids and are consuming the prescribed three meals a day. Right now your body is pulling on your fat reserves to keep you functioning, so we don't have too much to spare initially. They say six weeks before you really start exercise. You could try some gemtle swimming in the near future, then from six weeks how about doing Aquafit? X

I just can't do the getting in the costume it's embarrassing

Look on YouTube hun and see if you can find something involving gentle upper/lowerbody stretching to start in a few weeks. Nothing strenuous or no abs/core work just now - just gentle lunges, maybe some squats to start with, push-offs against the door frame etc and keep up the walking. As the weight comes off and your internal healing progresses you may been a bit 'able' to take on some higher-impact stuff like hand weights or small kettlebells xx

PS: Meant to say in my view everyone needs some Tabata tracks on their iPod. Maybe for starters 20:10 (ie 20seconds on and 10seconds rest). This woman may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZgT0eCnFw

Obviously ignore the core/abs stretching at this stage in your post-bypass journey but the arms stuff is pretty cool (you don't need the hand weights - use a couple of 500ml small bottles of water instead!). I am not a personal trainer now do I have any qualification in exercise to recommend what anyone should be doing, but I am a bypasser who has exercised throughout her pre and post surgery journey and these are the sorts of things that worked for me (having taken advice from my team regarding time scales etc). Good luck Beep.

Last edited:
Hey beep beep

I was told only gentle exercise like walking until I had my 8 week follow-up with the surgeon. Basically because that's how long I takes to heal inside from a bypass. So you really don't want to overdo it as you're not far out from surgery.

Back