• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Prescription for Exercise

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi Everyone, I'm not sure if this programme is done everywhere.

I've read the info pamphlet and have a GP appt next week to try and sign up for it.

What it is is you get a personal trainer for x14 weeks for a minimum of 2x per week. It is particularly aimed at people who are morbidly obese and those of us with Special Needs. A programme is decided upon and after 3 months it is hoped that people will have confidence and knowledge enough to haul ourselves down to to the Sports Centre on our own.
I'm quite excited by this as I enjoy the Gym but:
a) Feel so self conscious, being the biggest person in the place and KNOWING that everyone else is looking at me and feeling relieved it isn't them or with the thoughts of " how could she let herself get like that", I expect that a lot of people can relate to that.:(
b) I get carried away with the adrenaline rush which then causes the mania side of my Bipolar Disorder. If I only go twice per week this should not happen.

It is good for people with physical problems and disabilities too because the trainers have been educated to be able to provide suitable exercises.

It also includes things like water areobics. I love swimming, but never taught my son to swim properly (something I always regret:sigh:). Luckily his PE teacher was a colleague of mine (at that time) at school took him under his wing and taught him.

Just the thought of being so exposed in a swimming cossie has always filled me with such anxiety and self loathing - even though I love it, the anxiety before I go is usually too much to bear and I find a reason not to go:(. Not only am I big but covered in tattoos (misspent youth!). It is the only time I regret them as not only am I the big one to notice I feel I stand out all the more (this is not quite as bad since tattoos on women became fashionable). I really hope that knowing someone is with me will help my confidence.

If this is available everywhere it might be of interest to people.:)

I did this prescription thingy, and swimming and aerobics wasnt included in it ..........i did the whole course and got a certificate......and i only lost 2lbs in the whole time (with an healthy eating plan) and when i said about my (lack) of weight loss they said i was turning the fat into muscles.........so i hardly loss sod all.........was dissapointed with the whole experience, and i was walking 6 miles a day............dont mean to sound negative but it wasnt for me .............but each to their own

good luck xx

Wow Jenni - that sounds great, not sure its available in my area but my mum was offered something similar and still goes swimming 3 x a week. My mum is very overweight and wheelchair bound, the leisure centre staff are brilliant and it really helps lift her mood!

Good luck if you decide to go for it x

I did this prescription thingy, and swimming and aerobics wasnt included in it ..........i did the whole course and got a certificate......and i only lost 2lbs in the whole time (with an healthy eating plan) and when i said about my (lack) of weight loss they said i was turning the fat into muscles.........so i hardly loss sod all.........was dissapointed with the whole experience, and i was walking 6 miles a day............dont mean to sound negative but it wasnt for me .............but each to their own

good luck xx

2 pounds! That's not fair is it! It's like living with an OH who LITERALLY can eat for Britain ( and a son who could probably do the same) and they don't put on apound. WHY is this? It was like that obese teen WLS - the Dr saying about how calorie intake and being greedy is the answer to everything about why we are fat. My OH eats the most fat sodden, stodgy food. Unfair! Someone call the Fat Karma police please.

Lol jennie

What annoyed me more then anything was when i had completed it and then said i gained muscle and thats why i didnt lose very much...i think if i had of been made aware of that in the beginning i prob could have been prepared , but tbh it felt like i did it for nothing. But i am glad i did it to prove i still followed healthy eating plan, walking no less then six miles daily and gym 5-6 a week .........the proof is in the pudding :)
2 pounds! That's not fair is it! It's like living with an oh who literally can eat for britain ( and a son who could probably do the same) and they don't put on apound. Why is this? It was like that obese teen wls - the dr saying about how calorie intake and being greedy is the answer to everything about why we are fat. My oh eats the most fat sodden, stodgy food. Unfair! Someone call the fat karma police please.

I did this prescription for excercise thing - it ended up costing more than Fitness First which was just up the road...needless to say it didn't last long! But then I didn't get the motivation I needed so I stopped going to Fitness First too. Now I'm a couch potato trying to motivate myself into walking - and not really succeeding. Zxx

Last edited:
BIGHUGS.gif

I did this prescription for excercise thing - it ended up costing more than Fitness First which was just up the road...needless to say it didn't last long! But then I didn't get the motivation I needed so I stopped going to Fitness First too. Now I'm a couch potato trying to motivate myself into walking - and not really succeeding. Zxx

have i read that right but i thought the px for exercise would be free at local leisure centre?? or am i totally wrong ??!!

Why did it cost more Z? It costs 50p in my area. I guess everywhere is different?

Back