• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet fail :(

Yvessa

Hi guys,

I have been following the milk diet set by l&D obsessively, I am not even having the jelly anymore. In the first week I lost 13lb, in the second week 2lb, but in the third week I've put two on!

I don't have a clue how as I'm not eating anything, just drinking my milk. I don't even drink all of it, as I can't manage 5 pints a day.

So I'm a little gutted and worried that they will say I can't have the surgery on the 25th when I see the dietician.

Yve

Last edited:
Please don't panic, there are lots of reasons you could have had a gain - none of them indicate a problem. As a female there will be times of the month you might retain water and thus weigh more. The pre-op diet isn't a weightloss contest, it's supposed to shrink your liver and get you in the best shape internally for the operation.

You will be fine, don't lose heart xx keep doing a great job!!

Perhaps not drinking the whole allowance is the problem? I'd be amazed every time that happened to me on lighterlife when I'd never even SNIFFED a grape!

Are you on the 4 week milk diet at L&D?

If so you only have to lose 5% of your body weight. Did you get weighed at home when they weighed you, if so what do you weigh now, you might have allready lost more than 5%.

Don't worry about the gain, it could be fluid retention or even a female time approaching lol

We are all here to support you, don't give up, just carry on with what your doing.

Unfortunately I am being asked to do it for weight loss not for preop. This is an L&D thing

Yeah it is the 4 week one, PG, I am just under 5% according to home scales, although I didn't weigh myself the same day the hospital did. I need to shift three pounds from todays weight according to my scales.

The main change has been going back to work as I was really ill due to lactose intolerance for the first two weeks on the diet.

Yeah it is the 4 week one, PG, I am just under 5% according to home scales, although I didn't weigh myself the same day the hospital did. I need to shift three pounds from todays weight according to my scales.

The main change has been going back to work as I was really ill due to lactose intolerance for the first two weeks on the diet.

Ok, well heres what I did, instead of looking at 5 pints a day, break it down and set yourself targets i.e. between 7am-9am a goal of 1/2 pint of milk and half a pint of water and a milky coffee etc, that way it doesnt seem so bad takig down the quantity.

Seriously, I wouldnt worry about the gain, it could go over night just by having a few wee's lol

Keep your eye on the end result, it does work hun, I lost 7.2% in the four weeks, and it will start to slow up now, but it will still keep coming off.

Even if you dont reach the target they will give you extra time if you need it.

Thanks PG, I guess I know this already, just needed to hear it from someone else too. Normally it would have been chocolate for me!

I apologise for the misunderstanding, I thought it was a liver shrink thing (and I don't know what a L&D is) I still think your body/weight will adjust as you are following the process. I was just a bit sad to see you describe it as a fail, it isn't, it's a blip that will even out if you don't lose heart and stick at it.
PG's advice is really good, nothing like someone who has 'been there, done that' to help you out.

Fingers crossed a few trips to the loo or visit from mother nature will sort you out x

I apologise for the misunderstanding, I thought it was a liver shrink thing (and I don't know what a L&D is) I still think your body/weight will adjust as you are following the process. I was just a bit sad to see you describe it as a fail, it isn't, it's a blip that will even out if you don't lose heart and stick at it.
PG's advice is really good, nothing like someone who has 'been there, done that' to help you out.

Fingers crossed a few trips to the loo or visit from mother nature will sort you out x

L&D is just short for Luton and Dunstable - that's our hospital we go to to have the operation etc.

We are all here to support each other whether we are pre or post op, we all need a shoulder to lean on from time to time, and who better, but the people that know what the daily struggles/challenges are.

Can be something as simple as not enough water intake. Or maybe with being lactose intolerant, you should ask L & D if there is an alternative you can swith to, something lactose free. Maybe the intolerance causes bloating (just trying to guess :)...)

You are doing fabulous anyway :)

I have already switched to lactose free milk which is why I was able to go back to work. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Have upped my fluid intake today and have managed 3 pints so far and will have another one later. I am feeling much better; suspect it was fluid retention as I find it hard to drink a lot when I work, simply because work is pretty full on ( I teach in a secondary school)

Hopefully things will be a bit easier this week on half-term? I had the choice of L & D or Heartlands (chose H as have family there) and their pre-op diet is 6 weeks, and you can mix and match between 5 diets, your preference. (in fact they recommend not staying on the milk diet for too long as you would be sick of it by the time you are on the liquid post-op stage). Do you have to stick to the milk diet or are there alternatives that the dietitian can suggest, seeing as you have a degree of lactose-intolerance?

Last edited:
I am under Heartland too and was given the pack the other day. The bariatric dietician said min of 2 weeks and max of six. I think I will do 6 weeks too :)

Glad you are feeling better Yvessa. Makes all the difference xxx

Back