• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fast tabs

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys

Are we meant to be on these for life after surgery?

My GP has said that Chichester said I don't need them anymore at 8 weeks out? Will phone the team later as I have none left!!!

ThanQ. x

My GP tried twice to leave them off my repeat prescription. Apparently they are quite expensive and that would explain why GPs are reluctant to issue them.

I asked my surgeon and he said I have to be on two a day for 6 months and then one a day for life.

I have been on them for 2 years and my doctor has never questioned me taking them. I was told I would be on them for life. Found out that they stop your body absorbing iron

I was told I only needed them for six weeks post surgery - again it seems to be something that different consultants have different ideas about!

Hi wat are fast tabs and does everyone take them after bypass?
Thanks xxx

Everyone who has WLS takes them. I took them after my op too. They're for stomach acid. I hated them :yuk: - some people like them .. I had orange flavoured ones. They taste like Fruit flavoured Renee.

I took them for 6 weeks after surgery. Which I hated lol.

I cant believe how we are all told different things for the same operation,down to pre-op diet length,food after surgery and now tablets...very strange.

My doctor stopped mine after 4 weeks because of cost and gave me Lansoprazole Capsules instead 2 a day for 6 months then 1 a day for life.

This has got me thinking,I came out of hospital on fast tabs,and still on them.
Whats the difference between a capsule and the tabs(the quick melting ones)
As Im wondering if my doc should have changed to capsules now,what the difference .

I guess the melthing ones are for newly post op because we can't take capsules when we're newly out.

I did have the capsule ones which I much preferred!

Think some consultants dont like you taking them all the time as they certainly reduce absorption of some vitamins and minerals as they 'line' your stomach to reduce the effect of the acid on your tummy. Not particularly good though for bypassers who already may have issues with absorption of Iron and B vitamins as well as others!

This has got me thinking,I came out of hospital on fast tabs,and still on them.
Whats the difference between a capsule and the tabs(the quick melting ones)
As Im wondering if my doc should have changed to capsules now,what the difference .

The fastab is given after surgery when we can only have fluid or puree and is to stop the amount of acid in the pouch its ingredients has Lansoprazole.
So the capsule is a small white capsule which you swollow like a tablet and it has the same ingredients but costs less i prefer the capsule as no yucky taste with it. Hope this is of help.

I had straight Lansoprazole not Fastabs, same thing just a bleddy great tablet! We only have them for 6 weeks postop here.
x

Back