• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

fat surgeons

Watched it last night. Any one got any comments on the lady married to man from Tanzania i think it was?

is it just me our are we being potrayed as lazy, with little ambition and of below average intelligence? i am part of a small group ( 21 of us) and we are all intelligent, articulate, professional people with a thirst for life and sharp wit! i personally feel the message to the general public is that we are poor souls who have nothing else in their lives. which is so not true in most cases. i have been obese all my life, BUT by god I HAVE HAD A LIFE!! NOW IN MY EARLY 50'S my mortality is the thing that has driven me to take this step, (along with a touch of vanity). i think the show is a good idea, but i wish they would have a better cross section of patients.

is it just me our are we being potrayed as lazy, with little ambition and of below average intelligence? i am part of a small group ( 21 of us) and we are all intelligent, articulate, professional people with a thirst for life and sharp wit! i personally feel the message to the general public is that we are poor souls who have nothing else in their lives. which is so not true in most cases. i have been obese all my life, BUT by god I HAVE HAD A LIFE!! NOW IN MY EARLY 50'S my mortality is the thing that has driven me to take this step, (along with a touch of vanity). i think the show is a good idea, but i wish they would have a better cross section of patients.

I thought exactly the same thing. It makes it seem like we have all had some personal tragedy or other trigger to make us comfort eat. Comfort eating has not been my main problem - enjoying too much of the wrong type of food is what's got me here! I am also in my early 50s, and had the bypass to hopefully enable me to enjoy another 30 or 40 years of healthy life!

Having said all that, I enjoy the show, especially the surgery parts, which I find fascinating. It would be nice to see how all the participants look in 1 or 2 years time.

I agree with you so much. It does always worry me as so many fat programmes portray fat people as slightly dim and out of control of their lives. Like you, I consider myself to be intelligent and articulate. I hold down a responsible full time job and have been a single parent to two children who are now responsible and compassionate adults. I'm not out of control of my life - just my weight.

I also wish they could be more representative - mind you I wouldn't lay my life out on tv like that - would you? So maybe we self select ourself out.

(PS I'm also in my early 50s)

I agree with you so much. It does always worry me as so many fat programmes portray fat people as slightly dim and out of control of their lives. Like you, I consider myself to be intelligent and articulate. I hold down a responsible full time job and have been a single parent to two children who are now responsible and compassionate adults. I'm not out of control of my life - just my weight.

I also wish they could be more representative - mind you I wouldn't lay my life out on tv like that - would you? So maybe we self select ourself out.

(PS I'm also in my early 50s)
Hi, I agree with you that we are quite misrepresented. I have held senior roles in my field up until two years ago when I along with 600 others were made redundant. I too have had a life but have decided that I want to live longer than I would if I did not have surgery. However I would not want to expose myself as others do on these programmes. My heart does go out to those who are on the shows but I do feel that they are taking away their dignity often. Cheers,

I also just watched it and then fell asleep for an hour! I thought Andy looked fantastic, really sad about his brother. I am in love with Mr Sommers! x

oh i only watched a bit of it... what happened to the brother?

Hi, I agree with you that we are quite misrepresented. I have held senior roles in my field up until two years ago when I along with 600 others were made redundant. I too have had a life but have decided that I want to live longer than I would if I did not have surgery. However I would not want to expose myself as others do on these programmes. My heart does go out to those who are on the shows but I do feel that they are taking away their dignity often. Cheers,
if they paid for my op i would xxx

They probably got some reward for their participation. The one thing I noticed was the utmost respect shown by the surgeons with no evidence of patronisation at all

The surgeons are fantastic and do not patronise and give total respect. Last nights show was great have to say i am a big fan of Mr Pring.

Did any one see the programme after ? It was embarrassing, I had to turn it off...the chap was very critical of everyone for not catering for fat people...interesting discussion!

As difficult and sad it is sometimes not to be able to buy clothes anywhere, go to certain places to eat as you know the chairs have arms etc etc I do think we should not make it the norm as that is saying to the kids of today it's ok to be overweight...and it's not, it's not healthy long term.

I've sky plusd it for the weekend....sensed it may be a hard to swallow kind of programme!

He was just so aggressive with it, pointing at people insinuating it was their fault he could not fit into things...I am shouting at the TV 'no it's your fault for being overweight not the chair designers ahhhhh' my poor neighbours ! LOL

Look forward to watching it on sat then! :D

i enjoyed watching a sleeve this week, ive never seen one done before, its usually a bypass :) xxx

It was the last one too this week i think - and it wasnt the usual Dr - did you see the programme on after it Caren?
i think so, was it called "F**k off im fat?

I watched that a few weeks ago..was it that comedian guy determined to make the world more fat friendly?

yes i think it was - he is also in eastenders ( hes going to marry Heather - or not ) i thought he is doing a good job actually -showing how bed things are for bigger people

Back