• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

42 Stone Mum-Dominique Lanoise & My Weight is KIlling Me

I have to agree with both of you, when I watched it I felt sorry for her daughters, the younger ones who was trying to help her and she was eating behind there backs. She thought is she put this powder on her food it would take the calories away ( not sure of the powder). I think she put on 70 - 100 lbs back on in four months. I have seen it a couple of times and I feel for her daughters.

I didn't see any of these programmes but am very surprised to read the comments about the woman who chose food over her children. If anyone knows about her struggle, it is everyone on this site. We all know it isn't as easy as that. If it was that easy then this forum would only have childless people as members. Yes, she does sound as though she was a very extreme case but if you make comments about her being selfish then surely you would be saying this to all the mothers on this forum. She was American but she would still be going through the same trials and tribulations as us but think how much worse it is in America. They don't do small portions. Maybe she was so frightened about going through an operation she did everything she could to sabotage it. Who knows, think about the root causes of all of us. You would probably find that no 2 people on this site has the same root cause. Who knows what her feelings and thoughts were. She may have had a really crappy life and upbringing and fat may have given her comfort and protection. I just feel she should be shown more compassion and less judging. Debbie

That woman had many medical people jump hoops to help her..and time and time again she sabotaged her post diet by getting people to sneek food to her.
At the end of the day she had 6 children and they was all left without a mother...due to food.
I still think she was selfish... I'm a mother of two and my chance to have this bypass was my only hope to better my life and that of my children.
Sometimes you just have to take responsibility and do something about it...and there's no way on earth I'd choose to wreck it like that woman did.

I also have two kids, both getting older and both realizing that the weight would kill me in the end. I weighed at the most 33 stone. At that point I realised that I could not do anything as I was too big and needed to lose the weight for my kids. When My daughter cried to me about my weight and what it was doing to her and her brother who is autistic That I knew I had to do something. That's when I started again on my weigh loss and getting help for it To cut a long story short I have lost nearly 7 stone and had my Gastric Bypass done in December 2014. I did it for myself and my children who are growing up fast. I could not let them down again so this time I did the surgery and I wished that I did it years ago.

I also have two kids, both getting older and both realizing that the weight would kill me in the end. I weighed at the most 33 stone. At that point I realised that I could not do anything as I was too big and needed to lose the weight for my kids. When My daughter cried to me about my weight and what it was doing to her and her brother who is autistic That I knew I had to do something. That's when I started again on my weigh loss and getting help for it To cut a long story short I have lost nearly 7 stone and had my Gastric Bypass done in December 2014. I did it for myself and my children who are growing up fast. I could not let them down again so this time I did the surgery and I wished that I did it years ago.

I wish I had done it years ago too...I think back to when I was too big to join in with the children and I had to sit and watch.
It used to break my heart sitting watching them play with their father and I couldn't...lost time I will never get back.
But I'm making up for it now!

I didn't see any of these programmes but am very surprised to read the comments about the woman who chose food over her children. If anyone knows about her struggle, it is everyone on this site. We all know it isn't as easy as that. If it was that easy then this forum would only have childless people as members. Yes, she does sound as though she was a very extreme case but if you make comments about her being selfish then surely you would be saying this to all the mothers on this forum. She was American but she would still be going through the same trials and tribulations as us but think how much worse it is in America. They don't do small portions. Maybe she was so frightened about going through an operation she did everything she could to sabotage it. Who knows, think about the root causes of all of us. You would probably find that no 2 people on this site has the same root cause. Who knows what her feelings and thoughts were. She may have had a really crappy life and upbringing and fat may have given her comfort and protection. I just feel she should be shown more compassion and less judging. Debbie

Hi Gladys

I don't believe anyone was judging or not being compassionate. Until you actually watch the show you won't understand our comments. Like many on here I am also a mother and if I was in her position and being offered all that help I would have tried harder.

I did say that I don't feel her mental health was properly addressed, nothing judgemental.

I mentioned America because their criteria to get surgery is a lot harder. They bent over backwards for her and referred her to several different Drs and hospitals.

Like the others have stated, I do feel there was a level of selfishness in this story. Until you've seen it, you won't fully understand.

Give it a watch and let us know what you think then.

Hi Gladys I don't believe anyone was judging or not being compassionate. Until you actually watch the show you won't understand our comments. Like many on here I am also a mother and if I was in her position and being offered all that help I would have tried harder. I did say that I don't feel her mental health was properly addressed, nothing judgemental. I mentioned America because their criteria to get surgery is a lot harder. They bent over backwards for her and referred her to several different Drs and hospitals. Like the others have stated, I do feel there was a level of selfishness in this story. Until you've seen it, you won't fully understand. Give it a watch and let us know what you think then.

I'm sorry but I have to say something here you can not detain someone under the mental health act because she did not have mental capacity. Firstly mentally capacity is specific " she knew that if she continued the way she was behaving she was putting herself at risk therefor she had capacity to make an unwise decision. Under the updated mental health act people are allowed to make unwise decisions. We can not go around sectioning people because they are doing things that we don't like. That happened years ago, remember women being sent to asylums because they got pregnant outside wedlock. Yes I use old fashion words because it's old fashioned. What the woman needed was intervention years ago. She also had the capacity to get someone else apart from her family to cone in and cook her a meal, that she put powder on thinking it would cut the calories, this was a misunderstanding because she thought she could have food as long as she used the powder. That is also a person who had capacity. Take a look at the program embarrassing bodies how does a person get a hernia that is so big that they can not walk or go to work 9 times out of 10 the Gp has done nothing about the condition telling them to live with it. It's all down to money and it will get worse. People need help, encouragement, and the right advice they don't need to be ridiculed so they don't go back for help, they need kindness. We don't need to be told we are fat when we know we are. Education is the key, we have a generation of kids who don't know how to cook, lots don't even know where most foods come from, why because they are not taught in schools or at home. There are some who are mad and there are some who are bad the rest just need care

I'm sorry but I have to say something here you can not detain someone under the mental health act because she did not have mental capacity. Firstly mentally capacity is specific " she knew that if she continued the way she was behaving she was putting herself at risk therefor she had capacity to make an unwise decision. Under the updated mental health act people are allowed to make unwise decisions. We can not go around sectioning people because they are doing things that we don't like. That happened years ago, remember women being sent to asylums because they got pregnant outside wedlock. Yes I use old fashion words because it's old fashioned. What the woman needed was intervention years ago. She also had the capacity to get someone else apart from her family to cone in and cook her a meal, that she put powder on thinking it would cut the calories, this was a misunderstanding because she thought she could have food as long as she used the powder. That is also a person who had capacity. Take a look at the program embarrassing bodies how does a person get a hernia that is so big that they can not walk or go to work 9 times out of 10 the Gp has done nothing about the condition telling them to live with it. It's all down to money and it will get worse. People need help, encouragement, and the right advice they don't need to be ridiculed so they don't go back for help, they need kindness. We don't need to be told we are fat when we know we are. Education is the key, we have a generation of kids who don't know how to cook, lots don't even know where most foods come from, why because they are not taught in schools or at home. There are some who are mad and there are some who are bad the rest just need care

Hi mouse

At no point did I say this lady needed to be detained under the mental health act. I clearly stated more than once that I don't feel her mental health was addressed. I also stated that I understand they squashed a journey into one hour, however what we saw did not show that it had been addressed.

You said yourself by stating ' she needed intervention', isn't that basically stating that she needed help? That's all I've said. I have not mentioned section ing so quite confused with your statement.

Most people on this site have been offered a psychological evaluation during their journey, some only needed one appointment others have needed a lot more. I'm sure no one has been sectioned due to this. At no point in the show did we see a psychologist helping her address her addiction to food, which she clearly had. As you said she misunderstood the issue with the powder, a psychiatrist could have helped with that, instead of the dr's getting upset because she gained more weight.

I was not ridiculing her or anyone else. I watched a programme and voiced my opinion which we are all entitled to do.

As you said 'we don't need to be told where fat', at no point did I say that either. I've been told this about myself numerous times so I would never say those word to other people.

My post clearly stated I don't think her mental health was addressed and she clearly needed a psychological evaluation, I also said no one was supporting her properly in regards to her eating issues.

Not sure why you interpreted my comments as being uncaring or ridiculing towards her.

I was not referring to your comments as being uncaring it was more Kar8858 who thought she should have been detained. I agreements you she was not assessed or given the assistance or that is what we were led to believe because as we all know these programs are edited and they will only put in the bits they want us to see to increase the ratings. I was not having a go at you far from it,it was others.:)

Last edited:
What she was doing was self harm, had she been detained and treated I'm sure there may have been a different outcome.
Once again mouse, like the Christmas thread, you seem to have offended and insulted people.
I have a very good under standing if the MHA and mental capacity thanks.
Perhaps you should think about your outspoken opinions before posting.
I have not upset anyone on here but and posting this response as I don't appreciate your tone or post.

Thing is over eating is a disease no different than self harming or substance abuse. Well IMO it is just that a substance abuse. Sadly, children etc take a back seat sometimes you can't see the trees through the fog.

I didn't upset anyone on the christmas thread I was expressing my option, as for this one I work in mental health and it options like this that harm people who have mental health issues and while she was self harming with food she still had the capacity to make that unwise decision. People need to understand the law before making remarks however you are entitled to your opinion which all adds to an interesting discussion.

Well she's in the usa anyway so our MHA doesn't apply but seen as in the UK you can forced feed an anorexic under the grounds of MH there is a strong argument to treat obese patients like this eating them selves to death. Anorexic is a Mental illness and I believe so to is eating yourself to death, just the other extreme.

We are entitled to our opinions.

You are so right we are all entitled to our opinions and that is why there is no need to fall out after all we are all here for the same reasons and that is to support each other and have adult discussions. :)

Its the no added sugar one which is better for us, tastes great though and you can have it warm too.

Back