• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fearing the worst!

beepbeepcat

Ok so I've been fine until yesterday evening when I decided to write incase of death letters to my two children and husband. I slept well and now today I've had hot sweaty dizzy spell and my head feels all full of doom and gloom. I have a busy job four days a week with children and ontop of this weeks work I have been doing reports and planning. I've booked off and got cover for two weeks at work and told them I can't do any lifting till new year. I'm telling my mother in law this weekend I'm going in for a small operation to hopefully stop me waking up being sick with nasty reflux at night and then telling my two children the same on Monday. I think I've put myself under too much pressure and I'm having a little melt down with lack of food but can someone tell me if this is normal? I told my husband this morning I have to do this and he just replied with "hmm" .....I'm worried about everything now.

It's completely normal to go through periods where you think 'what the hell am I doing?'. A lot of people feel absolutely rubbish in the first days of pre-op as the diets, whichever one you're given, are pretty drastic! I felt dire for 2-3 days and then all of a sudden I felt fine.

You're going to have a lot of emotional ups and downs. I wrote my first Will before I had my op..so convinced was I that I'd die on the table. In fact I had a complete meltdown a few hours before surgery and both the anaesthetist and my surgeon Mr Byrne came to see me and talk to me. I had another meltdown in the anaesthetic room before going into theatre and nearly ran!

So take it from me - collywobbles, emotional meltdowns etc are perfectly normal because it's a huge thing you're doing. You're totally changing your life and you're getting rid of a 'fat you' which you've probably grown pretty comfortable with...even if you hate it.

You'll be fine chick. I have absolutely no regrets and I was probably the biggest scaredy cat ever!

Hey hunny we all react differently but I think it's a big scary decisions for all of us. I was fine until I met the anesthetist just before going under. I randomly panicked for no apparent reason. Luckily he was wonderful and assured me everything was going to be okay.

I wrote letters to everyone in my mind but never actually did it for real. I don't think I could face the reality of it. I was also very reassured when I found out my surgeon had been doing gastric sleeves for 11 years and had no mortalities.

Don't panic. Gastric surgery gets awful press at times but it really is quite safe. The hard part is afterwards! Much love, deep breaths, and remember why you're doing this. Look forward to your new improved life. xx

I after reading not just this thread but others in a similar vein I realise how lucky I was and still am for not having a second of doubt or worry from the get go infact on the morning of my operation I virtually skipped to the operating room! Because I knew in my heart all would be ok and I trusted my team and had and still do amazing support from friends and family

I after reading not just this thread but others in a similar vein I realise how lucky I was and still am for not having a second of doubt or worry from the get go infact on the morning of my operation I virtually skipped to the operating room! Because I knew in my heart all would be ok and I trusted my team and had and still do amazing support from friends and family

I too was the same, infact 1 of the nurses asked if I was always so laid back, I only had 1 fear and that was I'd wake up and the op wasn't done :(

Its completely normal....not sure we'd be human if we didn't have concerns ....hell I nearly walked on the day of my op....its a stressful time and of course emotional...... stay strong...... hubs will bound to be concerned too, although he will try not to show it.........BUT for me, I knew it had to be done....life was going to be way too short otherwise.... this for me was my 'life saving' op and once your thru the worst you will see it the same way :) x x x huge hugs x x x x

Ok so I've been fine until yesterday evening when I decided to write incase of death letters to my two children and husband. I slept well and now today I've had hot sweaty dizzy spell and my head feels all full of doom and gloom. I have a busy job four days a week with children and ontop of this weeks work I have been doing reports and planning. I've booked off and got cover for two weeks at work and told them I can't do any lifting till new year. I'm telling my mother in law this weekend I'm going in for a small operation to hopefully stop me waking up being sick with nasty reflux at night and then telling my two children the same on Monday. I think I've put myself under too much pressure and I'm having a little melt down with lack of food but can someone tell me if this is normal? I told my husband this morning I have to do this and he just replied with "hmm" .....I'm worried about everything now.

Hi it's so normal how you are feeling.I also had terrible doom & gloom thoughts. I also prepared all my affairs as I was so sure things would go wrong with my op, I had never been in hospital or never had any operations and was convinced that I wouldn't come round. On the day of my op I was terrified ( especially for my family as I already lost both my parents and a brother and I felt terrible for the thought of them having to lose another family member. I spoke to them and they were all behind me doing this which give me the strength to go for it )

The hospital team could see how scared I was they were very good with me and helped me through it and gladly I am here to tell this tale.

wishing all the best with your op :)

I'm with Los and Butterfly. i Knew it was something I HAD to do as there was more chance of the fat killing me than the anasthetic ... And figured that in the unlikely event I didn't come to, I wouldn't know much about it and TBH it would not be my problem. I felt very daunted by the concept of the LSD but once i was into it, it was fine. Yes the first few months after my bypass were a massive challenge transiting back onto solids, and the later head challenge cannot be conceived unless you are there. But we get by, and when the results really begin to show it all makes positive sense. Looking forward to seeing you on the losers bench Xxx

Don't get me wrong i know this is the right route and have complete confidence in the team or I would not be doing it. I just Thought that it was a normal thing to do and as for my wobble it was definitely down to no food as felt fine after vitamin and food which can mess up your head. I went out with friend till lunch time walking around without any food and only had one drink......I spoke to hubby and he reassured me he was half asleep. Didn't realise how important breakfast really was as I mainly skip it even though everyone tells me to eat.

Defo realised know why I had sweats lack of food and Mother Nature has just paid me a visit!

Only a few days to go and the start of a new you be strong and power through, remember water is your friend lol, besides your doing better than me had appointment with Mr Byrne on Thursday morning had a major meltdown Thursday night, think the realisation kicked in and it finally hit me that this **** is real lol xxx

Hey bbc, I'm thinking of doing the same for my 4 children and partner. It's not because I'm expecting to die, on the contrary, I'm expecting great things for the rest of my life :) but there's a very small chance that I could be the 'one'. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. I just want people to know how amazing I think they are and how much I love them. Not long now, and you'll be enjoying sharing life with the people you love in ways you could only ever dream of before x

Claire and Jen your both such a support I think if you don't talk it's even harder to get through this experience. It's of much comfort knowing we're not alone. Jen he's a lovely man isn't he? I felt at ease with him and asked all manner of odd questions. I think you will be in before Xmas. Claire this time next week we will be home recovering and I can't wait. I've never been away from my children like this so that's the only hard thing. I've literally just told them I'm going in to have an operation to fix my sickness at night and hopefully help me sleep. They seem fine with that explanation.

I'm finding wine helping lots tonight lol I'm terrified mainly because I've never had an op before let alone major surgery, I've sort of made my peace with it now whether I'll still feel like that in a few weeks who knows but not too sure about before Xmas as I found my self opting for the trial because I couldn't decide so let the computer take the strain of deciding for me, find out on Monday aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!! As for letters what a ruddy good idea, not sure if it's for me or not but guess nearer the time it probably will be lol xxx

Keep me upto date...thinking of you x

Back