• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fed up and angry at the same time

I had my sleeve done 23rd September. As I am only allowed 10 days off a year I decided to take my recovery as unpaid leave so's not to end up on a formal warning as I had nerovirus in May.
My Manager emailed me the other day and asked me to contact her which I did. I initially told them that I would be off 4/6 weeks.

I am still on heparin which in total will be 6 weeks due to another issue I have. I am going in to my 4th week and still on the whole on fluids as I keep being sick. I spoke to my provider and she advised that my stomach can't cope with soft food yet. (I'm throwing up what looks like jellyfish) (sorry if TMI) I advised my Manager of this and said that for the above reasons I thought I would be back 19th November to give myself enough time to be able to cope with food better as I'm not entitled to a break during the day and that I have to sit on my bum for 5.45hrs a day.Which when on heparin you need to be mobile.

Today I got an email asking for proof that I need to be off. Not accounting for any of the reasons I had advised. I think they are going extreme considering I have done this so not to get in trouble, and I'm not getting paid a penny! I had this agreed through the Union, and I can't even get hold of my Rep!

If I go off sick they will throw the book at me. And, my Doctor hasn't been to helpful and doesn't seem to aprove of what I have had done. Really stuck between the devil and the deep blue:cry:

Hun... I feel for you xx

With regard to sickness could you ask your manager to disregard any sickness which is directly related to your surgery? If you are struggling ACAS should be able to advise you on any sticky employment issues especially if you are having trouble getting in touch with your union rep.

xxx

Weren't you signed off by the hospital? Poor you dealing with this. In terms of the jellyfish if its what I get its mucas that builds up if your tum is full. Try eating very slowly. Chew 30 times, count 30 secs after swallowing before taking another mouthful and stop eating after 30 mins. Also take tiny mouthfuls. The size of your baby finger nail. Those tips are the only way I could eat otherwise I got pain and vomitting. I have to say I'm 3 months out now and don't have to worry about that so much now. Oh and if yr dr is that unsupportive see someone else. Xx

Weren't you signed off by the hospital? Poor you dealing with this. In terms of the jellyfish if its what I get its mucas that builds up if your tum is full.
It happens after one mouthful. And when I drink. It is awkward as i'm not allowed hot food at my desk and only get 10 mins break. I'm gonna ring my provider on Monday.

What on earth is your job?! I got pain at the beginning when drinking and eating soup but I didn't get mucas until I started food. I wonder if your sleeve is too tight? I know some people need it stretched. But yes keep on at your provider. If you can't even drink without being sick you clearly can't go back to work. Please speak to a good gp. X

I'm going to speak to my provider on monday to see if they can help. I work for an energy supplier but they are really strict.

But I'm sure you have to have a lunch hour? Hope you get it sorted out x

No lunch hour as I only work 5.45 hours. I'm entitled to 10 mins break. Takes me nearly 20 mins to eat anything

Ah I see. Nightmare for you. Once you can handle soup you'll be ok x

I wish not allowed to eat anything hot at my desk including soup would you believe

I wish not allowed to eat anything hot at my desk including soup would you believe

Could you take a wee thermal mug or flask of soup with you, heated to just the right temperature for you to sip slowly throughout the day? During your break-time, I mean, and maybe when you pop to the loo?

I'm wondering if your dietary needs, post-op,might qualify you as exempt to the 'no hot food at your desk' rule. If it is a medical need (it surely is), and probably fairly temporary, then you may be able to get around it. Worth a try!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to my provider and she is shocked at their attitude. She is going to write me a letter stating the issues i'm having and that she is recommending that I return to work on the 19th, as she is reviewing me on the 8th with a possible return on the 19th.

Their attitude is fairly common. They have a sickness absence policy and you can either follow it or leave, your choice. I understand completely that you have done this to protect your employment history regarding disciplinary action and its commendable that you are prepared to take a period of no payment to prevent this. However from your employers point of view they have a duty to protect their business and shareholders so they have to follow their policy. Unpaid leave does not mean you can take as long as you want or even need off without them wanting to know the reasons and a return date. There are a great many employers who would have not allowed this at all.

Get the letter from your provider and I am sure your employer will be fine with it, but trust me their attitude is pretty good in the grand scheme of things

Unpaid leave does not mean you can take as long as you want or even need off without them wanting to know the reasons and a return date.

They knew why and how long I was going to be off. It had been all done through the Union. They have been picking holes in me for months now. The Union is taking note of what's going on. It's hopefully sorted out now

Thanks Girly x

What a bunch of miserable gits!

I'm sure if you ask Mr Patel or Beth they will give you a med 3 (sick note) as would your GP - under EU work reg's they can not sack you if you are off sick, unless they have taken the capability route and followed it to the later.

Why don't you get signed of at least then you will get a bit of SSP and then go back on a phased return 3 hours the first week - building up to 6 hours by 3rd week back? At least then you will be able to eat and drink and be getting paid.
Good Luck
x

Back