• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone else had a battle?

I am 3 weeks post op. When I came out of hospital I had a discharge letter that I dropped off at the Doctors as I had to see them as my throat was really sore. She had a look at the form and queried the amount of the Anti-Gall stone drugs. When I saw her again on monday, she queried again the amount so I rang the lovely Beth who is always so helpful.

My Doctor said that she wasn't sure if she could give me a prescription for any drugs as I went private.But gave me one for Heparin and the drugs for a month.

To cut a long story short, yesterday they rang me to say that they had contacted the Luton & Dunstable hosptial (as they do bariatric surgery) and the local FPC who said that I didn't need the drug and they weren't prepared to let me have anymore going forward on the NHS! She also stated that she wasn't prepared to let me Heparin either. I firmly pointed out that as I have border line Hughes syndrome and have lost 7 babies because of it, and clearly hadn't read my medical history. I also pointed out that as soon as you look on my med records it says "Must have heparin when pregnant" a clue I think! Mr Patel advised 6 weeks of Heparin as the chances of this rearing it's ugly head and causing clotting problems was quite high. She said well, you don't have it normally and if you hadn't had this surgery you wouldn't need it would you!
I rang Beth who is arranging for a private prescription to be sent to me.

What makes me annoyed is that I have had this done privately as I could afford it and lets face it not to be a further burden on the NHS with other medical issues. Saving them resources and money. I have paid in to it since I was 16 and feel pretty let down that they have decided this.

I was wondering if anyone else had come up against similar issues?

what an awful way to be treated! so sorry your doctor has put you through such nonsense

have you considered finding a new gp?

It is nothing personal against us "fatties" Clexane is a "red list drug" - i.e it can only be prescribed by a hospital unless it is for pallative care or pregnancy. You should be provided with 28 days of drugs NHS or Private on discharge. Clexane is the responsibility of the hospital not the GP - most of us do our best for our patients but have big cut's in budgets to manage so have to be scrupulous with prescribing the right thing for the right patient from the right purse! The anit gall-stone drugs (which I was naughty and did not take! Sorry Beth) is just under £100 a bottle so for 6 months post op that is the same cost of treatment for 769 people with a urine infection - see why they struggle to do the right thing?!
xx

Last edited:
You might want to speak to your local PCT PALS team if you're after answers as to who is responsible for your after care and ongoing meds (should be your GP) You may also want to remind your GP of her obligations to practice ethically! GMC | Duties of a doctor

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

They will confirm that clexane is a hospital only drug, unless for pallative care or pregnancy - post op clexane has to come from hospital as they are given the money in their drug budget to do so primary care trusts aren't. That is why it has to come from the hospital as it's a pricey drug. x

OOnion said:
They will confirm that clexane is a hospital only drug, unless for pallative care or pregnancy - post op clexane has to come from hospital as they are given the money in their drug budget to do so primary care trusts aren't. That is why it has to come from the hospital as it's a pricey drug. x

Apologies, and thanks for your informed response. I'm definitely projecting some of my frustrations with my own GP in my reply - which is not helpful - sorry folks x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Gillykit - please don't apologise to me, I'm just sharing what I know as it can sometimes help take the "kettle off the boil" so to speak - It is frustrating when we come across yet another miss informed Health care professional - who seem to think if "they paid for it they can afford it" - which in my experience is not usually the case - it's often the desperation of people that drives them to pay for it themselves rather than the fact they have a spare 10k sitting about!
I hope you get things sorted with your GP xx

No because the other killed a toddler this week.
Tot dies at surgery - Local - Bedford Today

acctually this sad case was the receptionist deciding the toddler wasnt urgent, leaving them waiting for an hour and 10 minutes and then the childs heart stopped. the gp did not know about the child until this point and tried to resusitate the child but was unable to

I took my daughter up there a few years ago as she had fallen off the sofa. The nurse went and got one particular doctor and was about to explain what had happened. Without even speaking to me he said it was a virus as she was walking wonky and projectile vommiting, So I took her to a&e who did tests and confirmed a brain bleed.

Last edited:
Robina, yep that was correct but who gives the orders? The main gp is.less than popular round here. I feel for the poor family. They've only recently moved here

Last edited:
I have to say that the receptionists at our surgery think they are triage nurses and you have to tell them whats wrong with you (which having repeated your name and address back to you over the phone, then repeat your problem back to a waiting room full of patients. Believe me I've sat in the waiting room and heard whats wrong with everyone who phones in along with their personal details) before they decide if you are entitled to phone and speak to the Dr at an allotted time a couple of hours later who then gives you a time that day to come in if he thinks you need to be seen. Or if they don't think you're serious enough you just get an appointment for a couple of weeks time. 2-3 weeks is the norm for getting to see a Dr at our surgery.

I dont agree with the questions receptionists ask u either.some things are personal and should just be between u and ur doctor.I feel very sorry for the family of the baby .That is devastating .

Back