• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feed a family of four for £50?

phatmomma

Anyone looked at this on Sainsburys website?

I don't think much of it to be honest, not much protein and a lot of carbs...and to be honest some of the meals look like there's hardly any substance to them. Alright for a family of 4 wls peeps but a regular family with teenagers? I don't think so...

What do you reckon?

u mean £5!! haha for £50 id hope for a waiter service!

I saw this advertised on telly Julie, but havent looked on the web as I know there is not a chance in hell of me being able to feed my family for the week for £50.

It's £50 for a week - not one meal! :)

The food doesn't look up to much to me either Julie. I reckon I could come up with better for that cash.

I haven't looked at the website but I can imagine theres lots of pasta etc on there?! I do like Sainsburys but they are not the cheapest of supermarkets are they?

I have a family of 3 people but do have lots of pets. We are all nicely fed for well under £50 a week but only one of us eats meat so that helps :D

Mazza, Im ashamed to say I spend more like £150 at the supermarket, for 4 of us, plus a dog and cat. It does include the toiletries and cleaning products, but if I took off the pet food, and cleaning stuff we'd still be well over £100 a week.

Its easily done Sam! We have for various reasons - main one moving into a much more expensive house, been on an economy drive.

I remember a thread a while back on how much people spend on food and people were shocked that I spend so little.

I put it all down to planning, I work away alot as you know so bulk make meals for my OH and daughter. Most of the money goes on fruit, veg, eggs, quorn and fish. The dogs cats etc cost around £10 a week to feed but I bulk buy from Pets at Home (taken out of the weekly budget).

There is very little waste here too :D

You know Maz you are so right. We are all meat eaters but i can buy the 3 for a tenner meat deal, the chicken we had last week did us for a roast dinner, i had chicken salad, Trev n my eldest daughter also had a chicken sandwich the next day with it also... And the dog got a few bits thrown at him when Trev wasn't looking lol....

Mind this wouldn't have happened if i was pre op, also the fact that i am slowly cutting down portion sizes in our house helps....

And yes there is a lot of pasta

Its crap!When you go to buy it there is a note to say you also need to but carrots,onions,salmon,sweet potatoes,bread and more.Also store cupboard stuff isnt included.I could do a better job,nearly every breakfast and lunch was sandwiches and toast.My son would eat 6 rashers of bacon on four rounds of bread for brekkie,and Im talking thick sliced bacon not that rubbish you can read through!There is only hubby,me and son at home and I spend about £70-80 per week in Asda including cleaning stuff and pets,Go to a farm shop for eggs and a market for fruit and veg.Every few weeks I stock the freezer with meat and fish from a wholesaler.Im lucky we no longer have a mortgage so dont have to watch every penny but We did those years when the boys were small.I remember having £25 per week housekeeping for food etc and packed lunches!Mid seventies.I can make a giant stockpot of soup for £2.Maz x

I feed 5 on much much nicer food for about £65-70, I'm sticking with that thanks and I shop at sainsburys!

Its easily done Sam! We have for various reasons - main one moving into a much more expensive house, been on an economy drive.

I remember a thread a while back on how much people spend on food and people were shocked that I spend so little.

I put it all down to planning, I work away alot as you know so bulk make meals for my OH and daughter. Most of the money goes on fruit, veg, eggs, quorn and fish. The dogs cats etc cost around £10 a week to feed but I bulk buy from Pets at Home (taken out of the weekly budget).

There is very little waste here too :D

It is so true. If we planned our family meals and shopped accordingly, I reckon we could all cut down. I usually make a list, then leave it at home and double up on so much stuff needlessly. Then I never get to the bottom of the bloody freezer and buy mince even though there is pack after pack in there!
xx

Oh to be so organised to plan food for a week and buy nothing but what was on the list... But i agree we can buy and get better for our money xx

Back