• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feelin' blue

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone. Well, I've been pretty down the last few days and I feel I need to explain why.

Brief History: Well, I've had bipolar disorder since I was an adolescent. I had my son very young and then went to Uni and became a qualified teacher. I worked in teaching for 11 years and during this time I did a Masters and a Post Grad counselling qual. I was by this time in a difficult relationship but have always been v close to my son ( although obviously I made mistakes etc).

I was diagnosed with Bipolar when I was 26 (it takes several years for a definitive diagnosis to be made in psychiatry - trial and error I think) and I refused medication as I was scared of it. I spent a lot of time keeping the mask up and pretending to be well - I got promoted a lot in my job - which was to teach kids with severe behaviour problems and to teach other teachers how to cope with them as well. I loved this job and was good at it - mainly because I had been a deeply troubled teen myself.

Well, about 6 years ago, my illness (untreated so made everything worse) blew up in spectacular fashion and I was hospitalized for a long time and put on any number of different combinations of medications until one combination was found that seems to work (took 3 years to get to this point). I was medically retired from work and now have a nurse who visits weekly.

Now: The reason I always make a big deal about my job and my qualifications is because having a mental illness strips you of everything. My uncle is a qualified surgeon but became unwell and so hasn't been able to work since early '70's. He is just known as Mad Mike. When you have a mental illness, people seem to just assume that you are just a mad, embarrassing strain on society and to be feared.

The people I used to work with now avoid me in the street and even people I would have called "friends" in work don't call anymore and pretend they don't see me when I am in town. Some even hurrying away.

Funnily enough, the only people who do make an effort are those kids ( now adult) I used to teach - and they were considered to be hopeless cases 'cos of their behaviour probs!

There is supposed to be a family gathering in September - extended family, cousins, that sort of thing. I won't be going though because last time I did and I tried to explain why I was no longer working AS SOON as I mentioned bipolar, the conversation would stop dead in the water. My cousins even kept their kids away from me.

My immediate family are great - my sisters in particular. My brother and parents found it a lot harder but have really tried, although my Mum finds it very hard to talk about as it is on her side of the family the faulty genes stem from and she feels guilty.
I sometimes just wish that people would ask, show interest instead of ignoring "the elephant in the room"so I could explain about Bipolar disorder and so I'm not seen as such a huge fat freak.:cry:

I feel for you hun, it sounds like it has been very rough for you. I have a psychology degree and a class I took focused on the social stigma of mental disorders. It is a terrible side effect of the institutional system that was in place until the last few decades, people sent their ill family 'away' to be treated so people did not learn how to handle mental illness without making the person feel like an outsider. It is wrong and can so easily be fixed by just showing compasion and extending you the opportunity to explain.

You are a unique and beautiful person that is not defined by your disorder and should not be made to feel you like you don't belong. Hopefully you will eventually be able to get the love and acceptance you deserve from all of your family and friends but until then know that you at least have a home here where people are happy to accept you just as you are.

Hugs,
Nic;)

Hi Jenni

firstly I'd like to wish you a :birthday:

I can't imagine what you've been through :hug99: There are so many people affected by mental health issues to some degree...me having been one of them, it's a crying shame that people are so judgemental :mad:

you have done a wonderful job having your Son, holding down a very important job and gaining degrees in counselling (I recently did a level 3 course in counselling...it finished me off :eek:) your family must be very proud of you.

chin up lovely...you are by no means a freak as you call yourself....it's the narrow minded folks that need to be scrutinising themselves, not you.

lots of love xx

Hi

Jen, thanks for sharing this with us. Sorry to hear you have been feeling so low.

I have a much loved brother who also has bipolar. On the outside he appears to be a young fit man and people dont understand why he cant work and why he struggles in social stituations. Luckily he has us (his family), lovely girlfriend and his two sons. Our aunty Dorothy also had bipolar, she passed away a number of years ago now but my memories of her were of her going in and out of a hospital no body really spoke about - so sad that still in the 70's and 80's people were being institutionalised and given treatment with shocking side effects.

Im so glad your sisters are supportive. You have been so kind to me with my recent problems, the advice you gave really helped. If you ever need to chat you know where I am, pretty much always on here or facebook lol.

Take care - sending you hugs! :hug99:

Maz x

sorry to hear people have been so closed minded it annoys me when people are like this i have one friend who is bipolar and another who has long term clinical depression and i dont see either of them anyless a friend or person because of it we all have things in our lives mental and pysical and are imperfections are what make us what we are an unique

Jenni

I have a huge amount of respect for you...I found your answers and advice for everyone here has meaning and substance.

I try not to judge people on what they have, but who they are...I never think of you as Jenni with bi-polar...I think of you as Jenni who I can rely on to give a good answer to our many questions here and who is always ready to give extra support.

People fear what they don't understand and what they don't know....I feel sorry for them because they are missing out on relationships and friendships with many different people...Plus they remain forever ignorant.

I and my brother have had depression...My brother's was brought on by a traumatic event in his life when he witnessed the murder of his friend...Mine was after my father died...my brothers serotonin levels cannot level out without drugs...mine did and I did not need the meds for long...What I am trying to say is that we have both been judged for our condition in the past but because my brother needed life long treatment he has been judged detrimentally by members of his own family.

Of course you have to protect you...So whether you decide to abstain from family functions or not is going to be up to you, because you know 'you' better than anyone else...However flip side to that is 'it's their problem' if they can't get past this, and it is absolutely despicable for someone to keep their kids away because they are too stupid to go that extra mile with you to try understand...

You and your uncle have worked hard to get to where you are educationally, I know that you are now medically retired but you should still be proud of yourself...You mention that your uncle is known as Mad Mike.....unless he gave them permission (if his humour is that way inclined) they have no right to label him like that......he should have been respected.

I'm sorry that you are feeling down right now about all this...I can't make the hurt go away, but I can offer you the hand of a non-judgemental friendship.

I think your great.

(((hugs)))

Jenni, you truely are an amazing lady who has helped so many of us here on minis. People fear the unknown and by not asking you or looking up else where what bipolar is they hidw behind the ignorance.
If they were to find out,then they would realise what a very brave and inspirational woman you actually are.Big hugs to you sweetheart and don't miss out on the family gathering because of those who have'nt got the intelligence to seek information.

hi jenni sorry you are feeling so low and i hope you soon feel better. im not sure wat bipolar is sorry, but i belive that every one on this earth as something wrong with them no matter how small or large a problem it is and that we should treat everyone as we find them , it dosnt matter to me wat size ,coller, religion, nationalaty etc people are individual and if they are ok with me im ok with them. i have suffered for years with cronic depresion, brought on by a number of things and my youngest son has ADHD and has sufferd a lot of discrimination because of this so i kow were you are coming from. i am very proud of him as he found something he loved and was good at and now as a good job in a school were he repares and maintains all there computers wen some of his tormenters have never worked

Jenni, I am so sorry you have been through this. No one should treat you any differently but unfortunately I know this is not the case. You are a wonderful mother and an inspiration to those of us on here.

i am sorry about how your treated because of your condition. you sound like an intelligent person[unlike me] ...one of my brothers chemistry lecturers[he has a phd in organic chemistry so attended university for 8 years] had a break down so it can happen anyone

i am sorry some of your family find it hard to deal with your illness.

there does seem to be a stigma about these things but that is not your problem[after all you have done nothing wrong...you were just unlucky to get bipolar the way somebody else may get asthma or diabetes or something physical..its just unfortunate that society seems to look at it differently

i'm a freak your not.

i know someone on the personal developement course i am doing who would have severe bipolar disorder[spent half her life in hospital...doesn't know if she will get to stay out or not as she does be well for a few months and then becomes unwell and end back up in hospital ]and it seems to be a horrible illness

i hope you get peace of mind soon and lead a good life as you deserve to

Last edited:
Sorry you're going through this. it's so sad that the relief of getting a diagnosis and help is so often followed by others reacting badly to the name. Those who react the worst are probably also the ones who know the least about it.

You should be very proud of what you've achieved - I bet some of your more judgemental family members have achieved less despite having easier lives.

Hugs x

Thankyou so much everyone. I will write more to you when I feel better. Your words mean so much to me.
With Love

Jen x

Hi Jen, i don't know you as i am new to this site. From what you so elequently wrote it is obvious that you are an intelligent, sensitive, caring person. You have done a lot of good during the time you taught, this is obvious as former students care about you so much.

I recently worked in a busy phsyiotherapist dept (as a secretary not anything as intelligent as a health professional) and in the dept was a assistant who i got along with quite well. It was only 18 months into the job that my manager told me the assistant was a fully qualified phsyio but years ago after a particularly stressful work/home situation she had a breakdown and was diagnosed bipolar. She chose to work still in the dept but on a much lesser stressed level, she was given support and manages to still take part in a lesser role in a career she loves. I have the utmost respect for this person, not everyone is as strong.

I feel that i should apologise for having ignorance of mental illness, and am thoroughly ashamed that in the year 2009 people still have little understanding of mental illness. Medical breakthroughs happen all the time, getting past people's ignorance is a darn sight harder.

You sound like you are coping well, am sorry all of your family cannot be as understanding as your sisters.

I wish you well and hope your blue mood lifts soon, never think of yourself as a freak, we are all different but still good people.

love n light to you x

Hi Jen, sorry to hear of your woes but I do understand what you're feeling but I also want to give you hope.

Having spent 2 years with a girlfriend with rapid cycling bipolar I have an understanding of the troubles you will have.

The one issue my ex used to have was all the tablets she had to take at specific times of the day, trying to get the right combination etc. Unfortunately the stress of the bipolar symptoms became too big for the relationship to continue but we remained good friends.

Eventually she has found a right combination of meds and now she has restarted work and is working as a care assistant and worked he way up to the head care assistant. It's took a long time but she is the happiest she has ever been!

You're such a brave courageous person for opening up to us all and I wish you all the happiness in the future. Please keep us all up to date

Mickie xx

Hi Jenni,

So sorry you are not feeling too great at the moment.

I think these ingnorant people that turn their backs on you need to think how lucky they are. Until the end of last year I was fine and depression hit me like a thunderbolt I couldn't do anything except sit and cry. Luckily I am on the mend at the moment and slowly having my meds reduced although I feel very low today.

Please remember we are here for you and if you want to chat you know where I am. Feel free to pm me if you are up to it.

Take care.

Thankyou again for your lovely and supportive words people - Mixman, I feel for you and yr ex. GF. Rapid cycling is the pits, it truly is. No stability at all - I was like this for about 3 years until my mood stabilizer was changed to Lamotrogine - an anti-epilepsy drug. Now I can be normal for weeks and sometimes even months - this is in conjunction with a whole load of other stuff I have to take mind.

I so appreciate you all.

Love from Jenni x

hi jenni,
i was so sorry to read your story but wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration to others for all you've been through. you're a surviver and you have shown remarkable strenth.
keep your head up :) if you ever wanna pm me you know where i am.
love tasha xxx

Back