• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does being diagnosed as bipolar effect your chances for WLS??

gemma-lou88

Hiya all :) well as you may have seen my question is does being diagnosed as bipolar effect my chances of getting WLS?? iv been on and off different anti depressants for the last 3 something years after having my son and having post natal depression.. none worked and i just felt dead inside with no emotion so i decided to manage it myself. last time i seen my doctor he said it sounds like bipolar but he wanted to look into it then a lady i know who works in that area said it sounds like bipolar or some sort of anxiety problem? but i wont go back to see anyone and iv been trying to put them all off with excuses until after my surgery as im petrified if they say it is that it will slow down or maybe stop my chances of surgery :-( i just dont want them shotting pills at me as im managing it fine myself.. i just dont want them to see me as "mad" and not capable to cope with surgery. sorry if "mad" offends anyone as i know people who suffer with this are not mad in any way but that is what others who dont understand it see you as? .. i also live alone with my 2yr old son and i dont want people poking there nose in. sorry for rambling on i just dont know anyone else who could give me advice :-( xxx

Hi lovey, i dont know the answer to your question but just wanted to say hello and that im sure someone will be along soon with some good advise xxxx

Hello there

Try not to worry....

When you go for consultations, you see a multi disciplinary team (if NHS and some private providers now do so too) these include a dietician, an endocrinologist and a psychiatrist. I also saw a diabetician.

I sailed through all of them even though I suffer from clinical depression on and off.

The psychiatrist thought it would be a very good idea for me to have counselling and CBT alongside my surgery to help me cope with the massive life changes after, which I did.

I would have jumped through rings of fire to get this surgery and if they had suggested I was possibly not ready for it I would have taken their good advice.

Please go back to your surgery and get yourself sorted before you embark on this journey. It's not easy and sometimes in moments of weakness it would be easy to slip back to eating habits that could sabotage the outcome.

There is nothing to be ashamed of if you have depression of any kind. It's not your fault, it's just a chemical imbalance in the brain.

take care xxx

Back