• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling desperate

Magical debs

Hello
I've just found your forums and they seem so supportive, I'm feeling desperate and in need of advice and support, I'm hoping you can help me.
I have a BMI of 41, I am Diabetic, have Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Sleep Apnea. I have tried everything to lose weight but nothing works long term and its becoming increasingly difficult to lose any weight. At the moment I am in hospital with Acute Pancreatitis which is caused by the medication I am taking for Diabetes. I am feeling very down and I'm worried about my future health. I'm 54 yrs old but feel about 70.
I am considering weight loss surgery. I'm not sure whether I can get help on the NHS, possibly as they are paying a small fortune for my medication. I've researched the types of WLS but want a more personal view. Has it been worth it for you? What are your experiences?
Can any of you advise me please?

The nhs might pay as you have a lot of medical conditions. Because I have diabetics and high blood pressure and the nhs are doing my bypass on Sunday. Good luck.

Hi Debs and welcome to the forum.

Having a gastric bypass has been amazing for me. Since 22 Feb I have lost 5 stone, I have about another 5 to go. I feel a lot more confident and a lot more healthy.

Food has stopped being an issue for me totally.

Definitely have a chat with the health professionals involved in your care to see if they feel it would benefit you (bearing in mind that some won't understand it themselves) and then speak to your GP about referring you.

I hope you feel better soon x

I was 29st 10lb and was diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago after registering apneas 70 times an hour,some as long as 20-30 secs and my Blood gases dropped to as low as 51% deeming me odds on for a Heart attack or stroke.I had my bypass in June 2012 and have lost 9st so far..I'm still on my cpap but can honestly say it has extended my life...Without it it'd be 50/50 if i was still here telling you about it...My op was straight forward enough,but there are dangers as i'm sure you're well aware of....But for me it was more dangerous if i didn't have surgery.
Hope this helps and hope things pick up for you soon
Andy x

You should never think like that! I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that losing weight can improve your conditions and you will feel a million times better.

There were times that I thought If I didn't do something then I would end up in a grave early! Or my boyfriend would leave me and I'd end up alone! The whole process hasn't been that bad. If you really want it, the drs will see that and you just have to push push push! We're all here to help!

welcome :)

I've had my band 10 months and have lost over 9 stone, it's not an easy option, but it has changed my life and each week, days even there are things I notice I can do with ease - simple things which I always struggled with. Even things like sweeping things off the floor with dustpan and brush, losing 2 shoe sizes, 9 dress sizes, walking, sleeping, breathing, living all so much easier.

Worth every penny for me.

I am struggling at the moment with image issues, the loose skin makes me feel worse about myself than I did when I was 24 stone, but I know that I will get there with this too!

Thank you all so much for your help and support. I feel so desperate that my weight is causing all of my health problems and yet I can't seem to do anything about it.
I'm going to speak to my GP. I've checked the local criteria for funding and I do seem to meet it, but I'm sure they'll fight me all the way. In the meantime I'll keep up with your wight loss journeys for inspiration.
Debs

Don't be desperate there is always someone on here to help and advice!

I have recently undergone wls,I was prepared for a bypass,but due to lesions from Acute Pancreatitis was unable to have this done,a gastric sleeve was performed instead,quite happy knowing my pipework is as the lord intended & all is going well,it's not an easy option,only a tool to aid weight loss & I'm sure other wls patients will agree the first few weeks are definitely the most challenging

Back