• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling fit and fabulous! Surgery July 2013. Target 9 months later. Now maintaining

Thanks Nic! I am rather pleased. I've also got to thank weekly Zumba (18months) and Aqua Combat (over 2 years), plus a back history of 50 years of exercise. How I did it carrying the equivalent of me now, is incomprehensible to me TBH! My knees are not great as a result so I have to modify the jumping elements but hey ... Just a small thing in the big scheme of things. Interestingly whilst I fully acknowledge that my bingos, thighs, abs etc loose skin will never improve without surgery, building the definition (particularly in the arms) has made a big difference to how I view the issue. Last summer I was so conscious of my arms with all the flapping crapey skin bleugh hanging on a couple of rather puney sticks that I would not even expose them in an exercise environment other than the pool. But now ... I wear a cropped gym top exposing my arms and abdomen and I feel fine. I wear control pants as my butt skin tends to be unstable else which is disconcerting.

So this summer it is on with the sleeveless tops! I conclude that folks will first see the definition in my arms, well before they spot my bingos. sometimes trying to disguise something can be as good as putting tracer lights round it ...

Remember please that now you are stable exercise is not like before WLS! This time it is not about weight loss and burning calories - it is about physical tone and body definition (you have a different quest!). So if you were put off when you were big then you are in a whole new place now. Avoid the scales - weigh only once a fortnight if you must (and then in your head remember that is only to check you have not dropped significantly - you probably won't as the muscle you are building will make up for any loss). Ensure that you have sufficient fuel onboard to see you through your session, protein obviously is going to be key to not keeling over.

If you have mobility issues then think about alternatives for example kettlebell classes where you will use your core strength and pecs and arms, with minimum impact on your lower body - yes, your back may have been permanently affected by your obesity, look for an alternative. KBs are tough but simple and very available ... Or better still look into one2one with a PT trainer who can work with your physical restriction - especially if you feel self-conscious in a group environment. Tbh, i am always so focussed on what I am doing that I have no time or inclination to look at others. In my experience personal trainers are not all body beaut sadeists, if they are any good they should be proud of the help they give for you to reach your achievements. Personally I would avoid the private gym like Virgin Active, Nuffield, etc, and head for somewhere community based ideally run by your local authority - or your local secondary schools may well use their sports facilities out of school hours - that is where I go. This is because, in my experience, in these environments everyone is on the same page and just getting down to it, regardless. Financially it is very reasonable - my classes are £5 - £10 each. Think of how much you were spending on food before your WLS ... Exactly! You have that cash in hand! No excuse there. I don't mean to bang on but once we are stable the rewards of working on our body in my view are huge. You will not regret it. There is something out there for everyone, you just have to seek it. You will not regret it. And what a good time to start - all the new year resolutions have dropped out, and spring is round the corner.

Think you are out of shape? Don't be a worrier, be a warrior!!

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks Nic! I am rather pleased. I've also got to thank weekly Zumba (18months) and Aqua Combat (over 2 years), plus a back history of 50 years of exercise. How I did it carrying the equivalent of me now, is incomprehensible to me TBH! My knees are not great as a result so I have to modify the jumping elements but hey ... Just a small thing in the big scheme of things. Interestingly whilst I fully acknowledge that my bingos, thighs, abs etc loose skin will never improve without surgery, building the definition (particularly in the arms) has made a big difference to how I view the issue. Last summer I was so conscious of my arms with all the flapping crapey skin bleugh hanging on a couple of rather puney sticks that I would not even expose them in an exercise environment other than the pool. But now ... I wear a cropped gym top exposing my arms and abdomen and I feel fine. I wear control pants as my butt skin tends to be unstable else which is disconcerting. So this summer it is on with the sleeveless tops! I conclude that folks will first see the definition in my arms, well before they spot my bingos. sometimes trying to disguise something can be as good as putting tracer lights round it ... Remember please that now you are stable exercise is not like before WLS! This time it is not about weight loss and burning calories - it is about physical tone and body definition (you have a different quest!). So if you were put off when you were big then you are in a whole new place now. Avoid the scales - weigh only once a fortnight if you must (and then in your head remember that is only to check you have not dropped significantly - you probably won't as the muscle you are building will make up for any loss). Ensure that you have sufficient fuel onboard to see you through your session, protein obviously is going to be key to not keeling over. If you have mobility issues then think about alternatives for example kettlebell classes where you will use your core strength and pecs and arms, with minimum impact on your lower body - yes, your back may have been permanently affected by your obesity, look for an alternative. KBs are tough but simple and very available ... Or better still look into one2one with a PT trainer who can work with your physical restriction - especially if you feel self-conscious in a group environment. Tbh, i am always so focussed on what I am doing that I have no time or inclination to look at others. In my experience personal trainers are not all body beaut sadeists, if they are any good they should be proud of the help they give for you to reach your achievements. Personally I would avoid the private gym like Virgin Active, Nuffield, etc, and head for somewhere community based ideally run by your local authority - or your local secondary schools may well use their sports facilities out of school hours - that is where I go. This is because, in my experience, in these environments everyone is on the same page and just getting down to it, regardless. Financially it is very reasonable - my classes are £5 - £10 each. Think of how much you were spending on food before your WLS ... Exactly! You have that cash in hand! No excuse there. I don't mean to bang on but once we are stable the rewards of working on our body in my view are huge. You will not regret it. There is something out there for everyone, you just have to seek it. You will not regret it. And what a good time to start - all the new year resolutions have dropped out, and spring is round the corner. Think you are out of shape? Don't be a worrier, be a warrior!! xxxxxxx

Hi I don't normally post much but what an inspiring lady you are. I am only 5 months into my journey but reading posts like yours gives me hope that I also one day will be able to talk about my wls success . It really helps to read inspiring posts as at the moment I am very worried about all the stalls I keep having xxx

Thanks Andie. Glad to be here for one and all who care to drop in. xxx

As you say, you do not post much - there is no info on what WLS you had, what was your start weight, and how much you have lost in those five months. Without it I can't really comment or offer detailed opinion/advice. But will say that it does come off, but not steadily. Keep going - I am sure you are just fine but do understand how frustrating it is xx

Thanks Andie. Glad to be here for one and all who care to drop in. xxx As you say, you do not post much - there is no info on what WLS you had, what was your start weight, and how much you have lost in those five months. Without it I can't really comment or offer detailed opinion/advice. But will say that it does come off, but not steadily. Keep going - I am sure you are just fine but do understand how frustrating it is xx

Hi there

I had my operation on the 4th Sept last year and had the sleeve op. altogether I have lost 4 stone 4lbs including pre op.
My starting weight was 20 stone and although it's coming off recently the weight loss has really slowed down . I am hoping its a temporary thing as its a bit worrying when I read other people's posts on here and their weight losses seem to be so much better than what mine has been so far. I guess looking at things in a different way I would never have been able to have lost 4stone 4 by myself without having the operation so any loss is good even if it will take me longer in the long run to get where I need to be weight wise xx

Andie, hun ... That loss is awesome and pretty much right on point. Brilliant! I had my bypass in July 13 (18.5stone - size 24). It all slowed by November and nothing came off for about two months. I even had Chicken Pox but nothing. I was just under 13stone in Jan 14 - size 14/16. I decided I had come to the end of the line and had hoped to be a couple of stone less but was quite content still curvy but looking much more 'in shape' than I did. Then, all of a sudden I lost 3stone in as many months, and I have been stable (size 10) since April 14. For folks like who have to half our body weight, that 9months aniversary is pretty significant in my view, and by my calculation you are really where I was at ... You will be fine. We are so caught up in the weekly goals of commercial dieting, and it is inevitable we get demoralised, but if you step outside and reflect that with WLS we are kind of not in the driving seat all the time anymore, then it makes more sense ... You take care and trust your tool. A new summerbwardrobe is so defo going to have to happen hun xxxxx

Oh, and thanks Kirsty! Right back atcha xxxxx

Andie, hun ... That loss is awesome and pretty much right on point. Brilliant! I had my bypass in July 13 (18.5stone - size 24). It all slowed by November and nothing came off for about two months. I even had Chicken Pox but nothing. I was just under 13stone in Jan 14 - size 14/16. I decided I had come to the end of the line and had hoped to be a couple of stone less but was quite content still curvy but looking much more 'in shape' than I did. Then, all of a sudden I lost 3stone in as many months, and I have been stable (size 10) since April 14. For folks like who have to half our body weight, that 9months aniversary is pretty significant in my view, and by my calculation you are really where I was at ... You will be fine. We are so caught up in the weekly goals of commercial dieting, and it is inevitable we get demoralised, but if you step outside and reflect that with WLS we are kind of not in the driving seat all the time anymore, then it makes more sense ... You take care and trust your tool. A new summerbwardrobe is so defo going to have to happen hun xxxxx Oh, and thanks Kirsty! Right back atcha xxxxx

Thank you for your very helpful post it has made me feel so much better especially when you said you didn't lose weight for 2 months. This has been my worry for weeks because since 18th December I have only lost 4lbs and it's been driving me mad.
You have done so brilliantly and it's seems natural to have stalls like you have explained so I will just go with the flow from now on and not worry as much.
Thanks again for your help xxx

You are welcome hun. It will happen I am sure. Glad to be of some assistance ... that is what this forum is about, as nobody can even begin to understand (all the medics, shrinks, support nurses, etc) unless they have had the op and the back stories we all have. Through thick and thin, we stand united xxxx

Jesus woman, what a fantastic transformation. You really are an inspiration, for so many reasons....but the fact you can pull off those slippers..... :) xxxx

Just thought I would post then and now photos:

Hi Lilacglittergirl, you have done AMAZING!! What an inspiration you are!! Thank you for giving me some hope...

I'm just waiting for my first appointment with the nurse after finding out I've been accepted so this is all quite new and exciting for me, although I am worried what will happen to all this extra skin when I lose weight.

I have degenerative disc disease which has spread to my facet joint and fibromyalgia so I'm worried how much exercise I'll be able to manage, although I'm hoping that as I get lighter, the stress on my back will lessen and so will the pain, making it easier to mobilise and therefore exercise.

Something my stepmum said to me about 20 years ago has always stuck in my mind: that it doesn't matter how much I diet, I'll never be slim as my skin won't magically shrink back into place, especially the older I get.

Well, after being on here, I can honestly say there's now light at the end of the tunnel after seeing your amazing photo.

Well done once again

Mel xx

I want those cool slippers!
You have went from mouse to tigress hun ...a stunning transformation :)

Thanks folks. You are all such darlings ... And an amazing bunch of losers too. I love you all. To those of you starting out - I am genuinely excited for you, but know very well the fear and aprehension. I think most folks on here who are now at a 'sensible' weight will tell you the transformation is beyond their wildest dreams. Yes, with the drastic loss comes a new set of issues - some physical like loose skin, and some in the head "i'm never going to fit into that so I'd better buy the bigger size too ... Oh no! I need even smaller, seriously?!", and so on. It so is not a bed of roses that's for sure, and WLS is NOT a magic wand. The challenges are at times consuming I found, esp in the first six months.

Mel - you will find a way to exercise. My advice when you are ready is find a personal trainer at your local community gym. Be open and honest about your journey (the facts of your procedure and your limitation - you don't want to waste money on a 30min session by going into too many details). I found my two this way, and they do group classes too at a bargain price of £5!). Having said all this, I am woman down right now as have been totally knocked out by a chest infection which apart from not being able to breath, has meant I have not been able to eat properly for the best part of a week. So my fuel tank is empty. Gutted as have missed three session in as many days. I am sure I will be back soon enough - had to remind him that I am not a drama queen, but 'special needs' and therefore being sensible. Thank goodness for 97% Isolate protein powder.

Keep going guys, you are all awesome xxxx

Thanks for the advice hun, I'm just gonna start by going for a little walk in the afternoon I think, then slowly building up. Once I lose some weight I'll go swimming but no way while I look like this.

I hope you start to feel better soon and get back on your feet xx

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

Rest up lilac the insanity program will still be there for you once you get back on yer feet. Your body needs rest and recuperation for now ((((((hugs)))))))

Thanks Frankie - you are right, so I am being sensible. Do not have enough oomph in me to put one foot infront of the other right now. And at the best of times it is so hard to train at high level with the consumption limitations of a bypass. And never more so than now when all my system seems to be filled with yuk. Struggling to get me supplements down ... Ho hum! Hoping to be able to return on Saturday.

Mel - you are doing great. You have to pace yourself and it is still very early days for you. Everything at the right time xxx

Thanks hun, keep your chin up, just keep reminding yourself how amazing you have done, this is just a blip and you'll soon be back to normal :)

Can I ask a little question? With the protein after surgery, when you are still on the liquid stage, do you have protein shakes and if so, which ones? I just want to be as prepared and informed as possible....

I know I'm only on the first steps into this, but forewarned is forearmed if you know what I mean. Are these provided from the hospital or do they recommend a certain type?

Sorry for all the questions (although I have a whole lot more lol) xx

Thanks Frankie - you are right, so I am being sensible. Do not have enough oomph in me to put one foot infront of the other right now. And at the best of times it is so hard to train at high level with the consumption limitations of a bypass. And never more so than now when all my system seems to be filled with yuk. Struggling to get me supplements down ... Ho hum! Hoping to be able to return on Saturday.

Mel - you are doing great. You have to pace yourself and it is still very early days for you. Everything at the right time xxx

You need to remember that too lilac..once you feel better do't go back all guns blazing...build it up again sloowly
Believed I was okay but thought I was going to have to be carried back down the hill I had just climbed as I had zilch energy spare to even lift my feet ..one of those oh s**t moments!

Back