• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass Feeling soooo hungry

KimB

I had gastric bypass surgery on the 23rd of January. I have really started to feel hungry. Any tips this early after surgery?

nakipa

What are you eating now? How often? Amounts? Let us know and we can help you better. xx

Miss DeeDee

Post Opper
I had gastric bypass surgery on the 23rd of January. I have really started to feel hungry. Any tips this early after surgery?

Hi,

I felt hungry just after the op - for about a month i think - but I think its head hunger - rather than real hunger, Just keep drinking - try options hot chocolate, it fools your head into thinking its full - but if it continues i would talk to your team - just in case - hope you feel better soon - I dont get hungry at all now - just over 9 weeks post op x

KimB

I'm eating sugar free jello and sugar free pudding, Popsicles, chicken broth, and eating lots of ice. About 2 ounces a meal and eating ice in between. I agree......I think it's head hunger. I read through several peoples post last night and it really helped. I'm seeing my dr today for my first post op check up. Losing about a pound or two a day.....that definitely helps me push through. Thanks gals!

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
Why are you eating ice? I've missed something perhaps, I've never been told to do ice.

What stage are you on currently, try eating yogurts or if you are on sloppies mashed potato with gravy will help you feel full (Aunt Bessie does a frozen mash...you can then just pop one in the microwave when you need one)

Main thing right now is to keep up the fluids...if you not having enough it could be thrist rather than hunger

Either way if it continues get hold of your team for a more personal opinion on your case

Hope it sorts itself out soon

KimB

Sarah S.....my dr office said I could eat ice because that is easier than sipping water. I think it also helps with the brain thinking I am eating something.

I got great news from my doc yesterday. I've lost 17.5 lbs since surgery. I am now on full liquids and I am drinking a protein drink. That definitely helped with the hunger.

carberello

Hi Kim,

I had my Gastric bypass on the 24th Jan and my appetite has returned with a vengeance so not only you!

I was interested in the mention of 'head hunger' rather than tummy hunger, I think there is definitely something in that. I find I can stave off pangs by drinking my whey powder protein drink made with milk. I'm a little worried by the amount of 'wet' food I can eat already - I can easily eat a cup of stew made with ground beef peas carrots onions etc and Im a bit worried something has gone wrong!

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I'm eating sugar free jello and sugar free pudding, Popsicles, ........ and eating lots of ice.

Which all contain nothing, zero calories, zero nutrition and a LOT of fake "aspartame" sweetenings which stimulate hunger !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I only just tried sugar free jelly out of interest as I will be going on my official "pre-op" in about two weeks ...... I found immediately it tasts horrible, unfulfilling and very obvious "fake" sugar taste.

There MUST be lots of other things you can have sloppy / mushed that would contain some REAL nutrition and keep you more full !!!

Anon1986

Which all contain nothing, zero calories, zero nutrition and a LOT of fake "aspartame" sweetenings which stimulate hunger !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I only just tried sugar free jelly out of interest as I will be going on my official "pre-op" in about two weeks ...... I found immediately it tasts horrible, unfulfilling and very obvious "fake" sugar taste.

There MUST be lots of other things you can have sloppy / mushed that would contain some REAL nutrition and keep you more full !!!

If you bought the pots of premade jelly I advise you to try again. The premade hartleys taste horrible for some reason, yet the Hartleys powder one you make yourself tastes really nice. Mixes well and can be easier to make than regular jelly. Make sure you make the full pint though as it's tough jelly.

Lemon n Lime one seemed to taste best, the orange and blackcurrant tasted a bit fake.

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Unfortunately it *IS* the Hartleys powdered mix yourself ones that I bought -- I did try Lemon & Lime and Orange -- and really do not like the fake aspartame taste. Sorry.