• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ferrous fumerate-replacement

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
hi i was sent home from hospital with ferrous fumerate to take twice a day, it really makes me feel sick to the stomach taking it and have been told to take it for at least 3 months, i really cant do this anymore it makes me feel so ill ive have spoken to the surgeons team and they say to take it once a day but i honestley cant even do this, does anyone know of a different iron supplement that i can take?
lisa xxx

Is this the iron supplement in liquid form? I take 4mls a day diluted in water - I knock it back in one swallow and then gargle with fresh water.

yeah thats it i have to take 10mls twice a day, it makes me feel ill for about an hour after i take it! will try it in water today though, thanks.
lisa xxx

Isnt it weird that different hospitals give different instructions - you take 20mls and I take 4 - its foul though and there is no getting away from that! Surprised that they didnt tell you to dilute it - its written in big letters on my bottles

just looked at the bottle and no mention of diluting in water! it is annoying how things differ across the country from medication to diet!
lisa xxx

its just about palatable in water but its foul foul foul - its not for ever though I hope - should be able to go onto an iron tablet post 8 weeks!

I take ferrous fumerate tablets 210mg, 2x per day. I switched from liquid (yuck is all I can say) to the tablets when I went on holiday and haven't ever switched back. My GP has tested my bloods and everything is okay. I am however on iron forever since that is one thing I will never be able to get enough of as a post-op bypasser.

HTH,
Nic;)

p.s. - my liquid dosage was 2/5ml spoonfuls 2x per day so 20mls and my bottle did not suggest dilution, because I so would have diluted that yucky stuff!!!

hi nic, can you get these over the counter?
lisa xxx

I'm not sure i was even given it... i was given folic acid to take twice a week, 20mls at a time... :S - it tastes like crap!

.x.

I don't think you can get the specific one I get OTC, I get mine on prescription. I did a search on Boots & Halland and Barrett and didn't find it.

Nic:p

Mine didn't say to dilute either. I didn't find it that bad. Stopped it before christmas though as my iron levels were too high, and still don't need it, so it's important post op to get your levels checked regularly as sometimes it's not necessary.

My dietitian suggested mixing the drops with a bit of yogurt... not tried it yet as still having problems getting hold of the drops lol long story..good luck will ot be too long till you can take the tablets

My parents take cod live oil in liquid form (WHY!!!!) and they mix it with green ginger wine cos it's foul.

Could you find something strong to drown the taste ............or chew a tyrozet and make yr mouth numb mmmm....probably not such a good idea!

Back