• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Finally someone listened to me.....

Slim Beanie

Hi I'm Claire.
Back in April I saw a consultant at Oxford because of excessive acid reflux, I decided against acid reflux surgery but he suggested that a gastric bypass could really help me. I was shocked because I know im overweight (ok im obese) but I never saw myself as big enough to have WLS.

Well I got reffered to Mr Jain at Luton & Dunstable hospital, I saw him today. TBH I had it in my head that he would take one look at me and say nah go away and try and lose it on your own.....................so when I was accepted I was shocked, speechless, emotional and then i felt guilty (because its via the NHS and its not a cheap operation and the NHS are short on money)

So apparently the first step is this Tier 3 weight program but Mr Jain said the gastric bypass is still avaiable to me at the end of the program if i still wish to proceed with it . I've got to wait for the letter to arrive for my first appointment with tier 3 but i have a few questions.

How long do you think i will be on tier 3? (my bmi is 41)
Do I have to lose a certain amount of weight on tier 3?
Is there anything else I need to know about getting through the Tier 3 program?

Hello and welcome!

We have lots of Luton & Dunstable patients so hopefully they'll be along to advise.

Good luck on your journey :D

I had SHOCKING acid reflux and a bmi of about 45.

I had a plication (private) several years ago now, and have never suffered with reflux since. I probably should have had a bypass..... If they've said it will help with the reflux, Im sure they'll be right..

As it is, I've just had a sleeve (private) to try and complete my journey..

Hi and welcome, I'm also at L and D, with your BMI if you have comorbidities I believe you will be on their 3 for 1 year (as I have been) you will begin with a on a week milk diet, you do have to loose 5% of your body weight to continue on tier 3 and keep it off for the year.
My advice would be to research as much as you can on wls whilst your jumping through all the tier 3 hoops so your 1001% certain you want surgery and you know exactly what to expect
Good luck

Hello, welcome and the very best of luck x

Hi and welcome, I'm also at L and D, with your BMI if you have comorbidities I believe you will be on their 3 for 1 year (as I have been) you will begin with a on a week milk diet, you do have to loose 5% of your body weight to continue on tier 3 and keep it off for the year.
My advice would be to research as much as you can on wls whilst your jumping through all the tier 3 hoops so your 1001% certain you want surgery and you know exactly what to expect
Good luck

Hey thanks Bling.
One thing that stands out is this dumping syndrome, tbh im quite concerned about that aspect.
So have you completed Tier 3? and are you deffo going for the surgical route,? Have you lost much on Tier 3? xx

Hi I'm Claire.
Back in April I saw a consultant at Oxford because of excessive acid reflux, I decided against acid reflux surgery but he suggested that a gastric bypass could really help me. I was shocked because I know im overweight (ok im obese) but I never saw myself as big enough to have WLS.

Well I got reffered to Mr Jain at Luton & Dunstable hospital, I saw him today. TBH I had it in my head that he would take one look at me and say nah go away and try and lose it on your own.....................so when I was accepted I was shocked, speechless, emotional and then i felt guilty (because its via the NHS and its not a cheap operation and the NHS are short on money)

So apparently the first step is this Tier 3 weight program but Mr Jain said the gastric bypass is still avaiable to me at the end of the program if i still wish to proceed with it . I've got to wait for the letter to arrive for my first appointment with tier 3 but i have a few questions.

How long do you think i will be on tier 3? (my bmi is 41)
Do I have to lose a certain amount of weight on tier 3?
Is there anything else I need to know about getting through the Tier 3 program?
Hi and welcome.

Don't get hung up on the cost to the NHS. They have worked out by doing WLS they can save thousands on long term conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and osteoarthritis surgery.

Hey thanks Bling.
One thing that stands out is this dumping syndrome, tbh im quite concerned about that aspect.
So have you completed Tier 3? and are you deffo going for the surgical route,? Have you lost much on Tier 3? xx
Yes it is a worry as dumping seems to be so unpredictable, from what I have read it can happen on any foood not just fat and sugar and you can dump on something at one time but not necessarily another, lots to learn and as it's such an individual thing only so much can be learnt beforehand. I've lost about 2.5 stone on tier 3, I actually had to gain on 2 occasions for appointments as I was below the 35BMI threshold, crazy cray crazy, This is usually about my limit on previous diets and we are off to Mauritius in 9 days so I just know I'm going to gain then, to be honest I'm not even going to think about it as I've lost about 16% and only needed to loose 5%, mind you I have all my clothes taken in so that could be interesting when we are home !! Yes I definitely want to go for the surgery, was told at MDT that by being there means we have been accepted for surgery Barr any illness but I won't believe it until I get a date, have surgeon and anaesthetist appointment on 9th November and I know some people who have come out of that appointment with a date so I'm keeping everything crossed. GOOD LUCK xx

Just want to emphasise that not all gastric bypass patients dump. I was bypassed 5 months ago and have never dumped, not even on high-sugar items like orange juice. So having a bypass doesn't necessarily mean you will have to deal with dumping syndrome.

I think if you do, however, you'll learn fairly quickly where your limits are - and if you have a sweet tooth it can actually be a good help with your weight loss.

Back