• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

first band fill

manda1983

hi, ive had my band in for 6 weeks now and im due my first fill at sunderland, can any body tell me what to expect at this appointment? and what happens after this first fill? :confused:

Just had my first fill & to be truthful I didnt really feel it ad they do it through your scar but be careful when they ask you to drink water after as I had a big ish drink which got stuck, so sip only. Good luck x

Hi Manda

I had my first fill almost 2 weeks ago, It was really quick and painless. I had Barium meal and xray. It does feel wierd when they press firmly to get needle in port, but it doesnt hurt at all. Mandy is right, you are asked to take a drink so they can see how quickly or slowly it passes through, so be careful not to gulp. You will be fine hun, let us know how you find it. Good luck xxx

I think the fill process is fascinating. You can see the band and your breast bone etc. on the xray. When you drink the barium you can see it go down and how fast it is going through the band. This lets the radiographer know how much fill you need as they can judge how much restriction you will have.
The actual fill is an unusual feeling but it does not hurt. It is over quickly and then the fun begins! learning to live with the new restriction.
Hope it goes well for you
Jo XX

my first fill isnt via xray! weird

At the hospital group they just feel around for your port and go for it. No xrays.
It doesn't hurt in the slightest. After I sit in reception with a cup of tea and a glass of water to drink. If they go down fine then I'm on my way.
Piece of cake. (low fat of course)!

Last edited:
At the hospital group they just feel around for your port and go for it. No xrays.
It doesn't hurt in the slightest. After I sit in reception with a cup of tea and a glass of water to drink. If they go down fine then I'm on my way.
Piece of cake. (low fat of course)!

You get tea!!! I want your provider :D xxx

karen we get some water and told to jog on

Back