• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No difference after first fill

laurawls

I was banded 4 th feb and had my first 5ml fill last Thursday (I have 11ml band)

I still don't have the full feeling at all and eat what I did before having the band fitted. Is this normal?

yes, its absolutely completely normal. It can take a good number of fills for many people to feel any difference. It seems that lots of providers aren't really advising patients that it can take a while for fills to make a difference and that they shouldn't expect it to.

It isn't about having a full feeling - you shouldn't actually feel full with the band, but the portion sizes that you have to eat should stop you so you no longer feel hungry (there is a very big difference) and in terms of restriction, it isn't about stopping you from eating certain foods, but limiting portion sizes so that you feel satiety from smaller portions and that you don't feel full, just not hungry.

Its placed onto the stomach so that a small amount of food will tell the receptors to tell the brain that you're no longer hungry (hence the need to really slow down your eating and to follow the 20/20/20 or 30/30/20 rule) :)

So yes, what you're feeling is completely normal, but also, regular smaller fills as you approach the average levels of restriction is a good thing to think of too. You just have to remember that just because you can eat the same, you shouldn't be in terms of portion sizes.

Doing so can stretch the pouch and can also lead to difficulties and issues with the band in terms of slippages etc. But stick to the portion sizes, eat slowly and stop after the 20 mins, remembering that you're not eating to feel full (this isn't good with a band) but eating until you are no longer hungry.

But if the fill doesn't seem to have made a difference (it can take a couple of weeks for any difference to be noticed) then contact your provider and get another fill booked in :)

Don't worry, when it starts working after a few more fills, you will know! It takes a while to get there x

Back