• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First hospital appointment!

Hiya, I was just wondering what the process is at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital. I have received my 1stbappointment for 7th Nov 14. The appointment is with the Bariatric Practitioner foa a Bariatric Group Session approx 2hrs on the back it says 18 week referral to treatment target. Is this what you attended if so what happens. From your 1st group session app to surgery how long did you wait.
Many thanks x

Hiya, I was just wondering what the process is at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital. I have received my 1stbappointment for 7th Nov 14. The appointment is with the Bariatric Practitioner foa a Bariatric Group Session approx 2hrs on the back it says 18 week referral to treatment target. Is this what you attended if so what happens. From your 1st group session app to surgery how long did you wait.
Many thanks x

Hi Janet! My group session was on 04/04 and my op date was 16/09 so waited just over 5 months. The group session is pretty much that, it'll be you and a few more people that have been referred, and they'll go through the different types of op, and you'll be explained about how each op works and the lifestyles changes you'll have to make. They'll take your height and weight (this is not done in front of other people) and if you haven't had a recent blood test, they'll take some blood too. You will then have a one to one meeting usually 4 weeks after with the dieticians, and might need to see them a couple times more, then you'll meet the surgeon. After i met the surgeon i had another dietician appointment then i got my op date.

I hope this info is helpful, if you need anything else, let me know!

X

Hi Janet! My group session was on 04/04 and my op date was 16/09 so waited just over 5 months. The group session is pretty much that, it'll be you and a few more people that have been referred, and they'll go through the different types of op, and you'll be explained about how each op works and the lifestyles changes you'll have to make. They'll take your height and weight (this is not done in front of other people) and if you haven't had a recent blood test, they'll take some blood too. You will then have a one to one meeting usually 4 weeks after with the dieticians, and might need to see them a couple times more, then you'll meet the surgeon. After i met the surgeon i had another dietician appointment then i got my op date.

I hope this info is helpful, if you need anything else, let me know!

X

Thank you for replying so quick! Has helped understand what's going to happen do they ask what op you would prefer and at what stage. Or did your Consultant decide?

Thank you for replying so quick! Has helped understand what's going to happen do they ask what op you would prefer and at what stage. Or did your Consultant decide?

I was asked at the group meeting and then they wrote it down. When I met the consultant he agreed the bypass was the best option for me. They do take what you want into consideration but if they think the op you want its not right, they'll discuss it with you. I hope the process goes quick for you :)

So glad I stumbled on this, got my group session at Bournemouth tomorrow so that's cleared up a pile of my questions :) phew!

Woooohooo!!!! Well done! I'm 9 day's post op now and it was all really straight forward, can't fault Homerton, they're fantastic! At my pre op I had bloods, met the pre surgery team and went through a basic health questionnaire to aide the team on day of surgery - previous ops, allergies etc, had swab in mouth and groin for MRSA, got weighed, went to a group session with the dieticians where we learnt all about pre and post op eating plans etc, met my surgeon and that was it. They say all day but I was there at 10.30am and home by 4pm. Would have been quicker if there wasn't so much waiting! It was a good day. I took my sister to the group session, that was helpful as there is SO MUCH to take in and she picked up different things from me. I'd really advise going to the Thursday evening group session next week at 6.30pm to get support from fellow patients and ask any questions in an informal environment! Well done! X

Hey I'm so sorry to bother you. I'm new and I've messaged a few people with no replies yet and I keep seeing yourself pop up so thought I'd ask you:D how long did you have to wait for the MDT decision?

Back