• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My CPAP and I

darkness74

:help2:Wow on night 3 as a hose head and the cpap machine is very hard to adjust to:(, i have a full face mask as i rarley breathe through my nose, and its a gel one but my god its sooooo hard to get comfortable in it, the first 30 or so mins is the worst feels like im fighting the machine to breathe :cry:n the claustrephobia is horedeous:wave_cry: how long will it take to get used to this please????

Try laying on your side. This will help the pressure feel less strong and you won't feel like youre fighting it as much. Also try to read for a bit with the mask on before sleep. It will help you to accustom yourself to it.

It took me a few nights to get used to mine, I used to wake up and find I'd actually taken it off in my sleep! You have to try and relax about the claustrophobic thing, it's only in your head I promise you, you get used to it eventually just try not to panic you will get enough air just trust the machine :) good luck x

Yes i agree with sleeping on side. Have been using it more than 2 n half yrs and cant sleep without it now. First few nights are horrible but once u r comfortable and feel the difference you will love it. But want to know from long term post oppers of they still use it or not.

try to make sure its not too tight, and there should be a knob on the front of the mask, the forehead bit, that can loosen or tighten it. Good luck xxx

I used to put my ipod on and put my head phones on with Paul Mckennas relaxation weigh loss cd, i was always relaxed and snoozing after half an hour when listening without my mask it was the same with it on the more times i listened the less time it took me to drift off, it is quite common to feel claustrophobic the sleep lady told me to try it and if i was really bad take it off then try again the next night until you are more comfy with it, its a funny thing isn't it when you turn over you have to make sure your pipe isnt snagged i have pulled mine off the top several times when i turned over suddenly. Don't ned it now though it went back, don't give up hope there may be light at the end of the tunnelfor you. xx

ty so much for your suggestions x i'm still having an awful time with my cpap machine but only when i first put it on normally, it feels like im fighting to breathe and makes me awfully panicky, i keep telling myself this will pass but tonight i ended up in tears had to take it off n come down stairs got myself in a right state, x

Hi

When I used my CPAP machine before wls I also used my iPod to play soft relaxing music, i still use it now but that because I also have Tinitus so the music also masks out the constant ringing.

Re the face mask, it might be worth trying a small nose mask, I know you said you are a mouth breather but once asleep you might not be. But for any of them to work you do need to relax and stop fighting it and once you do, you will really appreciate the fantastic job they do.

Paul

There's no getting away from the fact that cpap masks are uncomfortable, but you do get used to them. I was told to aim for 4 hours a night over my first month,and once I had got to that level then all night was quite easy. As has already been mentioned, check it's fitting correctly, lie on your side and either read or listen to music to help you relax. Once you are used to it, it will make a huge difference to you so it is worth persevering.

But want to know from long term post oppers of they still use it or not.

I am a year out and was officialy declared free from sleep apnea a couple of months ago so no longer need to use my CPAP and the hospital have got it back.

Jane said:
There's no getting away from the fact that cpap masks are uncomfortable, but you do get used to them. I was told to aim for 4 hours a night over my first month,and once I had got to that level then all night was quite easy. As has already been mentioned, check it's fitting correctly, lie on your side and either read or listen to music to help you relax. Once you are used to it, it will make a huge difference to you so it is worth persevering.

I am a year out and was officialy declared free from sleep apnea a couple of months ago so no longer need to use my CPAP and the hospital have got it back.

Oh thats great news hun. Hope to get my one sorted when i lose all the weight too. This CPAP is killing all the night time romance from last 2 and half years lol.

He's a morning man is he, so you fell for that old trick did you, all men are morning men, it really only happens because he wants a wee not a weehee.:)

Paul.

Did you say morning or moaning? :D

Paul-H said:
He's a morning man is he, so you fell for that old trick did you, all men are morning men, it really only happens because he wants a wee not a weehee.:)

Paul.

Haha i know what i meant.

Back