• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First visit to the surgeon!

Toddshar35

I've just got back from seeing my surgeon Mr Super for the first time well what can I say he's a lovely man and made me feel at ease. He told me there is a 4 month waiting list so to expect my surgery to be July/August time and as I've no medical conditions I should only be in hospital 5/6 hours. I'm having the new gastric band fitted which means I will have 5 years aftercare instead of 2 years. I'm double the size I should be and he's advise me to go on a no carb diet until I've to do the 4 week pre op diet and to walk loads. It feels real now and I can't wait. :)

That's brilliant, best of luck to you :)

Hi Toddshar35, I'm having a band fitted by Dr super 1 week today privately. I will let you know how it goes. He is apparently one of the best so I'm sure we will both be in good hands. Take care ?

Hi Toddshar35, I'm having a band fitted by Dr super 1 week today privately. I will let you know how it goes. He is apparently one of the best so I'm sure we will both be in good hands. Take care ?

Good luck with your op in a weeks time. Are you having the new gastric band fitted?

Hi welcome and good luck Can I ask what the new gastric band is please? Xx

Hi and thank you. The new band is called a A.M.I protector gastric band the only thing that's different from the old one it has a mesh on it. Mr Super said he expecting to fit 200/300 of them and you receive 5 years aftercare xx

Don't think this was what I saw but I will need to ask the question, I've opted for two years cover all I could afford so maybe that's why?! ?

Don't think this was what I saw but I will need to ask the question, I've opted for two years cover all I could afford so maybe that's why?! ?
If I was to have the old band I'd only receive 2 years aftercare but as I'm having the new one I'm receiving 5 years aftercare I had to sign a consent form when I was at my appointment as there trailing it but I still have the option to opt out. Mr Super showed me an information sheet but didn't have a spare one so as soon as I receive that through the post I can tell you more about it in detail. I'm having mine done on the NHS x

Last edited:
Ahh interesting, well it's peace of mind for you having 5 years cover and if there's any issues which I'm sure there won't be they will sort it all out for you! I just can't believe 1 week today my op will be over..... Eeeek!

Ahh interesting, well it's peace of mind for you having 5 years cover and if there's any issues which I'm sure there won't be they will sort it all out for you! I just can't believe 1 week today my op will be over..... Eeeek!

Good luck with your op shaz hopefully the week will fly by for you x

soon to be on the banders bench with us nutters lol am pretty sure Mr Super is not only super by name :) this new band sounds interesting....would love to hear more x x x all the best x x x

soon to be on the banders bench with us nutters lol am pretty sure Mr Super is not only super by name :) this new band sounds interesting....would love to hear more x x x all the best x x x

Thank you Crystal xx

The new band is called a A.M.I protecter band and it has an additional piece of mesh which helps to support the stomach "pouch" after insertion. It is possible that this may help protect against one of the late complications of the gastric band, namely stretching of the pouch. There asking about 200 people to take part in the study which means I'll have 5 years aftercare instead of 2 years x

Best of luck, so exciting..!

Hi Toddshar35, I hope you dont mind me asking (I am a newbie to this site), how long was it since you were referred by your GP until you got to this point of seeing the surgeon? I have a BMI of 51 and I am completely in the dark about the process....my case is being reviewed this week at the hospital to see if they will consider me for surgery...if they do, what would happen next? Would really appreciate any help that you could offer...I am in the Midlands too. Great news on your op, bet you are so excited :) xx

Thank you nyc, I'm so excited about the op I can't wait I just want it over with :) I'm under Solihull my GP referred me to level 2 weight management last year I did 6 months and I asked the dietitian to refer me to surgery and she sent me to another dietitian in level 3 were I also saw a psychologist. I did another 6 months dietitian and psychologist at level 3 then the dietitian referred me end of January this year for surgery. I received a letter confirming I'd been excepted for surgery 3 weeks later and to attend a seminar on 11th March 2 weeks after that I received a phone call to book an appointment with the surgeon which I attended 30th March now I'm at the point of waiting for a date for surgery which my surgeon told me was a 4 month waiting list and would be July/August time. Hope this helps but I think everyone's different x

Thank you Crystal xx

The new band is called a A.M.I protecter band and it has an additional piece of mesh which helps to support the stomach "pouch" after insertion. It is possible that this may help protect against one of the late complications of the gastric band, namely stretching of the pouch. There asking about 200 people to take part in the study which means I'll have 5 years aftercare instead of 2 years x

sounds good hunni :) wishing you all the very best x x x

Back