• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fizzy drink

Lisav

I know that fizzy drinks are a no-no for banders due to the bubbles etc, but is it the same for everyone? I dont particularly like fizzy drinks, but sometimes enjoy the odd one, and when and if I ever drink alcohol again it would be easy if I could have some coke as a mixer...!

Who has tried fizzy drinks and what were the effect? What would I likely feel if I did try one? Can some people tolerate it in small amounts? Just interested really!

I've had all the same questions lol I was told its the carbonated water in the pop. So if I fancy some im gonna get a bottle n leave it open to get rid o the fizz xx

^^ thats always an option, or stir it a lot LOL!! I did see that some long term banders like Jo mentioned having a Vodka and diet coke in a can, so I guess that it is a possibility! YAY :)

I am a bypasser and was told at the very beginning if i had to have fizzy pop then stir and stir untill the fizz goes from it then it should be ok. I am 2 and half years post op now and have fizzy pop occasionaly but find it causes pains in my pouch sometimes if it is really gassy. I do like the odd glass though or as a mixer. Not sure about the rules for banders though, hope you get the answer that you are looking for xxx

Hi there,

I am 9 months post sleeve op!

I have a glass of diet coke now and then as a treat to myself, I will put plenty of ice in it in order for it to go flat and take away yhte bubbles, other wise it is too gassy and is uncomfortable!

it takes me ages to drink a can any how.

Im not sure how it will affect banders,but im sure if you stir and add ice you should be ok x

happy losing xx

Someone on here said mix it with a wooden spoon :D

I had my op 4 days ago and Ive been told if I have fizzy drinks it will cause me alot of pain and might also make my band slip so not going to chance it x

The reason we shouldnt have it is for one the trapped wind and also there's a very small chance that the build up of gas can dislodged your band the only time they recommend having it fizzy is if you have something stuck in your band too try and dislodge it , but if you get a spoon and stir it till its flattish then I'm sure it will be ok , hope this helps :) xxxxx

hollywood30 said:
I had my op 4 days ago and Ive been told if I have fizzy drinks it will cause me alot of pain and might also make my band slip so not going to chance it x

Don't blame ya lol. That sounds grim! Xxx

In my experience, it really depends on how tight your band is. If you can burp then its not a big issue because the CO2 will just burp back up again easily. If your band is tight and you find it difficult to burp anyway, then having a build up of gas below your band can be uncomfortable and sore. I've had champagne with no problem! and beer.... but coke was not pleasant. it sort of froths up in your gullet and backs up. Last weekend I had champagne but had to stir it to get rid of a lot of the gas and then it went down a treat! You'll know when you try or IF you try. However, if you can burp its not a huge issue. This is my own personal opinion which has been formed through experience- but you should follow your healthcare providers advice. My providers are quite relaxed.

Yes plenty of ice, stir well and take it slowly..no big gulps! My can of vodka with coke was opened and I shook it a bit to help get some gas out then once it had sat in the sun 10mins it soon lost its energy :) xx

I have the odd glas of bubbles, but probably only 100-150 mils, without ant problems. No stirring needed. But I would say I don't drink regularly or large quantities. Wasted calories, as I prefer my food. Plus my appetite increases massively when under the influence.

I've had a bypass and I was told fizzy drink can stretch the pouch not sure If this is true? Anyone else heard this? :/

Im 3 years post band and have always been able to tolerate fizzy drinks, on the very odd occasion that I drink them. I have lots of ice and stir too.

Its difficult to say what you would feel like, what does your provider advise :confused: some banders really suffer so dont bother with the fizz at all!

I would advise you to be cautious and thats if your provider approves :D

I must the worst person on here as I do drink fizzy drinks quite alot. Doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. No pain or anythin and my doc said if I can tolerate it just make sure I stick to diet! Diet coke is my vice! Love it! (I'm not one that can drink flat coke, fizzy!!!)
I had bypass btw!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back