• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WHAT CAN I DRINK WHEN I'M OUT?(bypass)

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi Guys
Don't mean alcoholic it's far too early for that but i went out yesterday and stuck to a water but i hate the stuff, i'm going to Dublin next month and will be having a couple of nights out don't really want to nurse a luke warm water all night but worried about sugar content in fruit juices etc used to drink fizzy soft drinks can you help please x

Hi Allie how bout having a fizzy drink sugar fee but with ice in it so it looses it fizz, soz dont have any other ideas but am sure their will be lots of experienced post bypass peeps along soon.
How r ya hun hope u have a good day xxx

Hi Allie I drink fresh orange with Ice so it waters it down a bit ;), I dont drink alcohol either so its hit & miss realy. Gail
Hi Guys
Don't mean alcoholic it's far too early for that but i went out yesterday and stuck to a water but i hate the stuff, i'm going to Dublin next month and will be having a couple of nights out don't really want to nurse a luke warm water all night but worried about sugar content in fruit juices etc used to drink fizzy soft drinks can you help please x

its a difficult one - you can have juices if they are sugarfree or freshly squeezed - you could try tomato juice, that should be ok. Would stay away from anything carbonated - been told that you shouldnt drink carbonated drinks even if they are flat. Pubs are tricky things. This is going to sound really stupid but maybe take a carton of sugarfree juice along with you? You wont be able to drink in the quantities you could before so it wont be so much of an issue I feel.

:Dyou could always buy water an add your sugar free squash. be careful with juices i had my first experience of dumping on apple juice in the pub not pleasant xxxx

Awww Allie, P.M.S.L could just imagine you of all people being dragged out by your ear & frog marched out.!!!!:8855::8855::8855:
Thanks Guys
Was wondering about taking my sugar free Ribena with me but have visions of being chucked out of the pub lol for bringing in my own drink x

Take your Ribena and have a quiet word with the manager,sure they wont mind.Or buy a few waters to be polite.

It's an interesting question, and one I hope to get an answer for. We are going to Malta for new year with a big group none of which know about my bypass, and i get the feeling it will be alcohol constantly! I can avoid it some by using the spa a lot...but I need to find a drink that that they wont know if im drinking alcohol or not and water kinda gives it away!! so come on bypassers we need better ideas than this lol xxx

It's very hit and misses with drinks from pubs and cafe's etc. I went to a wedding 3 weeks post op and was really nervous about what I would drink as pre op if there was any drinking to be done I'd be at the front of the queue leading the way. I did take some sugar free vimto made up as a precaution. I asked the bar man what sugar free still soft drinks they had, his answer was diet coke!!!!!!! I opted for an orange juice and water as the squash which the bar man tried to reassure me was robinsons special r looked to thick and dark to be that. It's a good job I trusted my own judgement as another member of staff came round to top up the ice and squash and things and it was indeed Sweeps cordials. I would have had a major dump and spoilt the whole night for all my friends.

What about having a coffee/latte?

As for holiday abroad that could be even trickier, can't you tell people you're on medication for something and you can't drink on it. This way it will avoid questions when its other peoples round and more acceptable for you to have coffee or juice or water.

hi i have been on flat diat coke with lots of ice from my getting home.
just have a word with bar person and say you carn't have anything alcoholic or with suger in.im diabetic so i just say if you give me anything with suger you will be ringing for ambulance thay soon try to help cos frightend you migt sue them lol works evry time for me

I have sugar free flavoured still water (robinsons) but depends what the pub sells

Thanks Guys
Was wondering about taking my sugar free Ribena with me but have visions of being chucked out of the pub lol for bringing in my own drink x

I'd be tempted to take my own sugar free drink, have a word with the manager tell him you'll buy his bottled still water but because you've had surgery all of his drinks with flavour will make you severely crappy (sorry didnt wanna put shitty) and he does not want to deal with that... I'm sure as you'll be with others spending money he won't be funny about it...

Or do my nightclubbing trick and have a magic handbag :)

Personally i'd just order a gin and tonic and be done with it ! - if you really want to be good order a slim line tonic ! ;)

Back