• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fizzy Drinks

jay_hl

So I am currently 4.5 months post op, and I'm getting sick of being off carbonated drinks (sparkling water, cider, diet soft drinks, pimms!).

Has anyone got any advice to start introducing these back now the stomach staple line has been healing for 4 months? I am aware about the obvious calorie downside, I was more concerned about the gas element.

Jay

I was told fizzy drinks was a no no for ever, because of the gas. Calorie wise there is the obvious diet option. I desperately miss them too, particularly a diet coke if I go to the pub as choice is so limited.

Will be interesting to see if others have tried them.

I was also told never to drink fizzy drinks, I agree about the pub, although I have never been
that bothered about drinking fizz I have left it awhile to go flat not so nice but makes a change from water!

Another one who was told no more fizzy drinks full stop and I loved in diet ones for decades. I also don't drink alcohol (and was told none for at least a year post op) so I tend to have hot or cold tea when out of occasionally fruit juice but I'm wary because of the sugar.
Some people return to drinking fizzy drinks and alcohol at some point and I think it's an individual choice to make. Personally though I don't think they're worth the risk since they're presumably heavily discouraged for a reason.

Hmm, I wasn't told no fizzy drinks but was with my band?!

I 'think' the reason you may have been told not to is that gulping carbonated drinks would not be good. Then there's the empty calories of regular fizzy drinks.

With my band, after a while and with advice on what to do, I introduced diet/zero carbonated drinks with lots of ice and through a straw. Apparently the ice kills some of the bubbles, as does stirring with said straw.

Of course you should always follow the advice of your team but its worth maybe asking them.......

I have recently been reading about research into fizzy drinks. It's now felt that the carbonisation leads us to feel more hungry and that even no calorie fizzy drinks contrbute to weight gain. I am sure this research can be found on the interweb. As with everything it's down to your own personal choice but it good to find out the reasons why we are advised to avoid fizzy drinks. Knowledge is power!!

If it's a nice G&T you miss, try stirring the bubbles out? I know it's not quite the same, but ice and a slice and the lack of bubbles won't be such a thing.
Though I was told no booze for 6 months too, due to the healing in the sleeve
Interesting. I was told no booze for 12 months because of the trauma to the liver!

Plus alcohol is empty calories.

Back