• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MJLDPS

Hi everyone, i am going through the process to have the gastric bypass, i talked with my GP and other professionals and carried out lots of research and have been fine with all aspects, i have just been for my 2nd appointment, the one where you see the nurse/dietician/phsycologist and they start you on the LCFD (aka milk diet) and as a result have left terrified!
This is so not me, I have been extremely positive all the way from initial referral some months ago through the 1st appointments right up until todays appointments, its silly things frightning me, I'm ok with the milk diet although worried about hunger, I'm worried about the fact i will no longer be able to have any fizzy drinks ever again, I'm not a big drinker but on a hot day i enjoy a glass of Magners cider, the dietician went on to tell me about dumping if i eat something with too much fat, too much sugar, too much protein, not chewed enough or swallowed too quick, its a minefield, I've started to doubt i will cope and all of a sudden i am struck with panic, i dont have any friends to talk to for support so i've trawled forums researching, did anyone else suffer with these problems or emotions? and if so what happened? it may appear I'm a bit of a wimp! but believe me nothing could be further from the truth, after 18 months in hospital i told a consultant to amputate my leg which he eventually done under a local, i made that decision with none of the feelings i have over this, and that was a limb, thats how bad it is, I am aware that the gastric bypass is a huge decision and a life changing event, i thought i was prepared, why all of a sudden has my resolve collapsed and why at this point? please any help or advice anyone can offer will be greatly recieved.

My Thanks

MJ

Awww, we all go through these feeling hun I dont think theres is one person here who hasnt had horrible thoughts about the future. It just seems like life will never be the same again but if you speak to some of the post oppers their lives do go back to normal, they can still eat out, eat foods they enjoy etc. Not everyone dumps by the way, although a lot of bypasses, myself included, wants to dump as it will help keep them on the straight and narrow.
Welcome to WLS forum and when you have read a few of the diarys etc Im sure you will start to be more positive for the future :D x

Well first, HI and welcome to the site. You've come to the right place for support, tips and encouragement.

Are you due to begin the Milk Diet as a pre-op for your surgery? and if yes, what date are you looking at?

Your post is a long one so I will try to answer as much as I can but I may forget some of the things you asked. Feel free to ask away as often as you need, coz we're all here to help.
I'm Charis, by the way, and I'm just 4 week's post-op, so I'll just give you the early days' perspective.
Firstly, the Milk Diet: yes, it does seem daunting. It's not half as bad as I expected it to be. Some people get headaches but they usually go by Day 3. Most people feel quite full, I certainly did. Milk is surprisingly filling!
The main problem is not having anything to chew. If you're allowed to eat fruit and sugar-free jelly, that does help a bit. I found it not that bad, as I say, because it was a diet with a very clear goal in view. And it was time-limited too.

The Post-op feeling is very different to how you've felt before. I haven't really yet felt hungry, (although food cravings, sometimes called 'head-hunger' can be an issue for some people. It hasn't been bad at all for me. The though the liquids/ mushy stage of the diet post-op (it's not a diet: it's just the stages of re-introducing food to your new pouch) is a bit tedious, it's going quite quickly. Most people are back eating 'normal' food by about 8-12 weeks. I feel very full on very little, which is lovely; as pre-op I was constantly hungry.

I haven't drunk alcohol yet, (well, I tried a mouthful of sparkling wine at a family celebration and felt completely kettled so I haven't done it again) but I do know some people are able to have the occasional drink post-op. It varies so much from individual to individual. Again it's trial and error and following your provider's guidance.

Likewise with the dumping. I dump very easily on sugar, but not everyone dumps AT ALL. I'm gradually trying 'normal' food again and apart from eggs, which seem to upset me a bit, everything has been ok.
I do have to watch out for 'hidden sugars' though, because as I say I do dump on those. It's getting easier to avoid them; I've just become an avid label reader!
I also felt quite poorly last week when I rushed a meal. It passed and I know not to do it again.

It's all trial and error - Learning to live with your bypass is a bit like having a new baby or even a new puppy! Be kind to it/him/her (I've called mine POLLY by the way!) and 'she'll' be kind to you!

Try not to be scared. In the long term, most people on here seem to manage to get back to something like normal, although much smaller portions are the order of the day.
As long as you look on your bypass as a tool and find out how to work with it, you will succeed and lose your weight. And your life will be enhanced because of it.

If you read through the posts on here, you'll find pre-op jitters are totally normal. You do have to be realistic and look at what in your life will change, but that's a good thing. I think it's better to be well-informed before hand.

I had all the nerves, felt very apprehensive about what I was 'giving up': but just 4 weeks in, I LOVE it!!!!!!!! It's one of the best things I've ever done!

I hope that helps.

Charis

Last edited:
Hi MJ
i am 7 weeks post op, and to be honest with you, so far i have found it easier than i thought i would.
The dumping isnt pleasant, i have dumped twice in 7 weeks, once was after a blue ribband bar and the other was after some ben & jerrys ice cream. Now i know that i prob wont be able to have chocolate again, but to be honest, the way i am feeling at the moment, i dont give a dam. I am in size 22 clothes from a 28 and that is amazing. Plus i look at it like this, i have spent the last 20 years shovelling whatever i want in to my mouth, without any thought, so i am going to spend the next 20 thinking very carefully about what i put in.
My tipple of choice has always been a lovely diet pepsi, but again, if i really need to have it, then i will have it flat, but so far, i am managing on squash.
The dumping doesnt happen to everyone, and when it does, it varies on what causes it greatly, it really is trial and error, sugar has seemed to cause mine, rather than fat, but no two people are the same
Hope this helps you somewhat
xxx

Its a massive decision but one that will change yr life for the better in so many ways, there maybe a few things that you have to compromise on along the way but to have a better quality of life & get more enjoyment from living thats gotta be good right???

I'm in for my op tomorrow & my pre-op has been a doddle I haven't felt hungry, had more energy & lost 15 lbs in 8 days... you gotta love it!!

Good luck. x

Hello and welcome.

Now time for my tuppence worth... You seem like a person who isn't afraid of much, having an amputation on your decison under general gives me that impression..

Right the milk diet? I didn't do it, i am diabetic and my provider made me do a very low calorie diet, i did it for a week and it was hard....

Chewing/sickness etc? You do need to chew food well else it will cause you some discomfort, some people throw up. I've only been sick a couple of times and not for ages, you learn to realise how much you can eat and (this is something i never thought i'd do) you throw food away off your plate when you've had enough! Wind pain from chewing food too quickly is painful, not as painful as losing a limb though i should imagine....

I think from the quick scanning i gave your post that your biggest fear is you will lose your love of food! Believe me this has never happened to me. I love food as much, if not more, now than before my surgery! I enjoy going out for a meal with my husband and family, okay i have started pinching a bit of their plates rather than buy a meal, but it's saving me money for new clothes :).

Three months (almost) post op and i no longer take medication to control my type 2 diabetes. My energy levels are improving, tonight i've done 3 miles walk and came home feeling on top of the world...

Personally, and i think some people will back me up on this, my surgery is the best thing i've ever done for myself in my life! I'd do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat... And my husband should be having his surgery sometime within the next six months or so......

It is definitely not all doom n gloom post operatively xxx

Thanks for all your comments, and ditzee i wish you well for your surgery tomorrow, i find all the posts encouraging and positive, i have been feeling unwell since my appointments, a sort of nervous feeling, many of you mention dumping but can i ask what the symptoms of dumping are? how quickly do they come on after you eat something? and how long until they pass?
Phatmomma i too am diabetic, it is very poorly controlled and i am insulin resistant regularly i have to take 60-120 units of insulin to drop my sugar from around 26mmol to 10mmol my sugar level has been about 23-28mmol for about the past year, whenever my sugar level drops below around 16mmol i become very ill, they hope to start me on the milk diet in one week from yesterday, i am worried that a sudden drop to normal sugar levels is going to make me ill, can anyone offer any advice on this at all?

We have been up to Tescos today and i have bought a range of drinks to try some low cal such as diet 7up and Orangina light and also i am retrying the flavoured waters, I have never been a great fan of them but now i need to try various flavours and start to reduce fizzy drinks.
I have a further question, one of my big dislikes is nausea, is there much of this post op or is this down to what you eat also, oh and can anyone tell me what a NASO gastric tube is?
Sorry for all the questions i'm trying not to ask stupid questions but i suspect a few will get through! Once again i thank you all for your comments, tonight they have really helped lift my spirits. I've never been an emotional person but lately its unbelievable, i used to work as a doorman dealing with people that just wanted to batter me every weekend, now I get emotional at the drop of a hat, today i've been angry, restless little things have annoyed me, its all related, i come on here at night and it really helps, and for that i am massively greatful

Hiya, as the others have said, the feelings you are experiencing are very normal. I felt like i was mourning a loss just before my op as there is no way to know what foods you may not tolerate afterwards, so there was fear of the unknown.
I need not have worried, i'm one of the lucky ones that can eat exactly the same foods as before my op, just in smaller quantities. I've never been sick once, but at times if i rush my food or don't chew enough i get a slightly uncomfortable feeling that takes 5-10 minutes to pass.
With regards to sweet things i have learned my limits by being very cautious, and as a result have only had "mini dumps", which mean i feel hot and clammy, i get palpitations and feel nauseous and then feel very tired. This starts about 20 mins after eating and lasts for about half an hour to and hour for me, but everyone is different.
I know many people frown on us eating "naughty foods" but i like the odd treat and have just had two bites of homemade coffee cake with coffee butter icing, as long as i balance this out and monitor my calories i think its okay - i've lost 8 stone so far !
With regard to alcohol have been out with a friend who inadvertantly drank full sugar coke & vodka and she passed out. Thankfully i've never pushed my luck and to avoid what happened to her i drink my vodka with fresh orange in bars.
I've had magners by the way ! Lots of ice swishing round to reduce the fizz, but it went down a treat !!
The nerves are normal and will pass. You will find that life immediately post bypass is a little different due to the food stages diet, but the weight loss makes this all worthwhile and things will soon return to normal.
BTW, a nasogastric tube is used to give liquid feeds via the nose into the stomach.

many of you mention dumping but can i ask what the symptoms of dumping are? how quickly do they come on after you eat something? and how long until they pass?

Dumping: I can only speak from my experience: dizzy, extremely nauseous, felt like I would collapse/faint/hot/ very sleepy. It was quite mild! It came on almost immediately I'd eaten the guilty food (NAS Angel Delight) and passed in about an hour. I know it can be a whole day job with a severe dump.

Phatmomma i too am diabetic, it is very poorly controlled and i am insulin resistant regularly i have to take 60-120 units of insulin to drop my sugar from around 26mmol to 10mmol my sugar level has been about 23-28mmol for about the past year, whenever my sugar level drops below around 16mmol i become very ill, they hope to start me on the milk diet in one week from yesterday, i am worried that a sudden drop to normal sugar levels is going to make me ill, can anyone offer any advice on this at all?

I'm very surprised they're thinking of the milk diet for you: it's almost always (as far as I know) low carb, low fat, high protein. Maybe you need to check on this again? I can't comment other than that as I'm not diabetic.

We have been up to Tescos today and i have bought a range of drinks to try some low cal such as diet 7up and Orangina light and also i am retrying the flavoured waters, I have never been a great fan of them but now i need to try various flavours and start to reduce fizzy drinks.
maybe try some NAS squashes too?

I have a further question, one of my big dislikes is nausea, is there much of this post op or is this down to what you eat also, oh and can anyone tell me what a NASO gastric tube is?
I've had quite a lot of nausea but it's been pretty well controlled with pills and is now easing at 4 weeks post-op.

A naso gastric tube goes up your nose and down into your stomach. Not everyone has one: I didn't. It's used to drain stomach contents.

Sorry for all the questions i'm trying not to ask stupid questions but i suspect a few will get through!
Feel free to ask stupid questions!

Once again i thank you all for your comments, tonight they have really helped lift my spirits. I've never been an emotional person but lately its unbelievable, i used to work as a doorman dealing with people that just wanted to batter me every weekend, now I get emotional at the drop of a hat, today i've been angry, restless little things have annoyed me, its all related, i come on here at night and it really helps, and for that i am massively greatful[/QUOTE]

THat's what we're here for. Glad to help. Sending hugs.

I think your concerns are very normal!
I had lots of thoughts racing through my head before surgery but I knew if I carried on the way I was I was gonna kill myself.
I LOVE MAGNERS CIDER, I also love diet coke.

I have dumped lots of times, but have pinpointed the foods and now avoid these (cause and effect = learn quickly!).

I had 125mls of Magners shortly after my op and was sick. I am not convinced it was the Magners but for now I have stayed away from it. I DO HAVE A SMALL BOTTLE IN THE FRIDGE WITH MY NAME ON IT XX
I have just started drinking diet coke again and I have no problem with it. BUT I have one can left and I am going to stop drinking it again as I know it is not good for me.

There are loads of foods I can no longer tolerate but I have found loads of new foods which are fab to replace those.
I have found new drinks I like too.
DO i HAVE ANY REGRETS? NOPE not one, only that I wish I had never allowed my eating to get out of control in the first place and also I wish I could have done this earlier.

I have lost 5 stone (inlcuding pre-op weight loss). I have gone from 24-26 top to a 16-18 top and a 22 bottoms to a loose 16.
I no longer spend my life thinking what can I eat next.

I think of myself as very lucky I was given a tool to change my future.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOURNEY X
Shells
x

Hi everyone, i am going through the process to have the gastric bypass, i talked with my GP and other professionals and carried out lots of research and have been fine with all aspects, i have just been for my 2nd appointment, the one where you see the nurse/dietician/phsycologist and they start you on the LCFD (aka milk diet) and as a result have left terrified!
This is so not me, I have been extremely positive all the way from initial referral some months ago through the 1st appointments right up until todays appointments, its silly things frightning me, I'm ok with the milk diet although worried about hunger, I'm worried about the fact i will no longer be able to have any fizzy drinks ever again, I'm not a big drinker but on a hot day i enjoy a glass of Magners cider, the dietician went on to tell me about dumping if i eat something with too much fat, too much sugar, too much protein, not chewed enough or swallowed too quick, its a minefield, I've started to doubt i will cope and all of a sudden i am struck with panic, i dont have any friends to talk to for support so i've trawled forums researching, did anyone else suffer with these problems or emotions? and if so what happened? it may appear I'm a bit of a wimp! but believe me nothing could be further from the truth, after 18 months in hospital i told a consultant to amputate my leg which he eventually done under a local, i made that decision with none of the feelings i have over this, and that was a limb, thats how bad it is, I am aware that the gastric bypass is a huge decision and a life changing event, i thought i was prepared, why all of a sudden has my resolve collapsed and why at this point? please any help or advice anyone can offer will be greatly recieved.

My Thanks

MJ

:hug99: Your post comes across as so sad :(

You need a good dose of positive thinking love, you are so brave, you have couragiously decided to tackle your weight problem head on! So weldone you!

I know exactly what you mean with the fizzy pop, sometimes its all that can quench my thirst, but believe me, i aint dying for a glass of fizzy pop!! And i am currently feeling very shaky and nervous and questioning if i am doing the right thing, but all my answers are coming back and telling me that i would be a fooool to walk away now.

Have faith in yourself and think about things positivly. We are all here for you :)

I look forward to following your journey xxxxx

You are all really great, and i don't know what i would of done without all your help, i keep re reading all your comments and looking at all your stats, i think one of my main problems is that i have had a huge amount of medical problems, lots of bad luck, as i may of mentioned in 2000 i spent 18 months in hospital in esscence with a broken ankle which led to 12 operations, numerous infections like sceptaceamia and ultimately the loss of a lower limb, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, my consultant even expressed in a referral letter to a senior consultant the opinion that i was the unluckiest patient he had ever met, prior to that in 1990 I had a road traffic accident in which i suffered very badly (multiple compound fractures, where the bones snap and puncture the skin), again everything went wrong and i caught gangrene, and all this was before i became diabetic, in fact it was these reasons i put weight on, (18mths hospital bed rest), i left hospital addicted to painkillers which i have worked to reduce but have been on Morphine slow release for the last 8 years due to severe phantom and stump pain, i am told that these slow release capsules that i take will no longer work post op so the fear of withdrawal and then reoccuring pain worries me. On a plus side i found out last night i passed my Royal Horticultural Society HORT 1 exam, which gave me a huge boost, and all your words of encouragement definately help, once again my thanks.
Oh and Emma i love your Fairy images, i should not really announce this in case any of my ex doorman colleagues read this but i collect fairy ornaments pictures etc love em, i have a little oak door that needs attatching to the skirting board, its to let the fairies in on a night, there i said it, now i can never meet any of you ever!!

MJ

Last edited:
[email protected] little fairy lover :D
Im pleased that we have helped you a bit and with all the bad luck you have had Im not suprised you are terrified!
Good luck on whatever decision you make, we will all be here to support you along the way :D x

Hi MJ, welcome to the site.
You've had lots of great advice already, but I would also question whether the milk diet is the best pre-op for you, as you have said you are an out of control diabetic. I was too, but probably not as bad as you. I did find that I had to monitor my blood sugars during the pre-op diet about 6-8 times a day as the insulin levels required dropped like a stone! I suspect yours will too. Just keep a close eye on them and change your units to cope with the changes.

My current theory is that diabetics tend not to suffer from dumping as much as non-diabetics. That is only a theory and I'm sure someone will argue with it. However, the only dumping I've had is from having too much fatty stuff, like butter, pate, salami etc all together. That really made me quite unwell, but still didn't make me sick.

The chances are you WILL be able to have your favourite foods again, maybe not for a while and not in the same quantities. The REALLY sugary things are obviously out but I'm sure you will find some alternatives.

Good luck with your journey.

I'm with John, check which diet you should have, point out about your diabetes too....

John you are onto something there with diabetics not dumping, i dont think Steph does either :) Well spotted xx

John you are onto something there with diabetics not dumping, i dont think Steph does either :) Well spotted xx

Well it's quite logical really Julie, If your diabetes is that far advanced that you aren't producing insulin or what you are producing isn't much cop (technical term), then the rush of sugar isn't going to trigger much/any "useful" insulin that would bring on the dumping symptoms. Tadaaaaaaaa.
xx

LOL I'm loving that you love fairies, how cute is that? I do too. I also have a small collection of Lladro angels which I adore.......

Listen honey, I'm sorry, my memory doesn't run to all your initials so until you sign with a name, or just one initial you'll have to be 'honey' to me......

You've had a terrible time and no wonder you're feeling scared. With your history, who wouldn't be?
BUT it sounds to me like you're more than due a dose of good luck. I'm going to stand with you and believe that this time will be different and better and have a truly positive outcome.

HUGs, Charis

Wow this site is so incredible....! i really mean that, the positive feelings that come from this site are incredible, if i could just bottle it we would all be millionaires, you are all a credit to this site. I would like to thank you all personally one day, maybe when the fairy confessions blown over and been forgotten about, there are members of my family who are really against me having this surgery, so i have to be careful i dont let my feelings slip that i'm worried or they will pounce on that weakness, my partner is great she is hugely supportive and sometimes we sit and look at the before and after images, yet again my thanks, it seems so little for such great feelings i'm getting in return.

hi there,

I would like to say thank-you firstly for this posting.
I am due to have surgery in over a week,and I can honestly say I am having the same thoughts as you.
I am so worried about how I will cope after the bypass,and I must say that everyone on this site has been a great help to me,and it makes me feel so much better knowing I will be able to come here with any problems,and someone will be able to help!
And for that I thank everyone on this site.
Good luck on your journey xxxx

Back