• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Flying after a bypass

jenny17

Can anyone advise on how long you have to wait after a bypass before you can fly? I am trying to work out blackout dates for my op. Thanks

i would not advise it for at least 3 months as it could hurt your chest and stomach with all the arm flapping its easier to take a plain or jet

sorry i had to say it

djdave said:
i would not advise it for at least 3 months as it could hurt your chest and stomach with all the arm flapping its easier to take a plain or jet

sorry i had to say it

Tee hee!!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using WLSurgery

Had my op 5th July this year flew to Spain on 8th August less than 5wks post-op no problems with pre & post-op weight loss the belt I had struggled to do up in October the year before suddenly had 6inches to spare more on the way back. I brought sugar free diabetic sweets to suck on take off & landing & despite being in the mountains far from the usual tourist hotspots do limited English & our limited Spanish meant a challenge ordering & buying food but we managed with no more problems than I would have expected at 5 wks post-op having rushed to solids with the support of my dietitian.

Thanks, I am due to have my endoscopy next week and I have read on various threads that the waiting list is now less than 3 months at SRH and I have a weeks holiday booked to New York at the beginning of April so am a bit worried I will have to postpone the op, if it is too near.

Let the hospital know & if they can they will fit your op around your holiday. I know some folks on here cancelled holiday rather than delay op bit that's not always feasible from a financial point let alone family point of view. It may be tough if you are away during pre-op diet stage or too soon after surgery. I coped at 4/5wks post op being on more solids than I should have been but I was lucky & it worked & I had no complications but it's up to the individual what is to soon.

Back