• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Flying with a band

Pinkfluffyemma

Hi all

was hoping that some of you banders would like to share your experience when flying.....Have any of you ever eaten on a flight??? I know the advice says not to but I have a 12.5 hour flight coming up :s

'Hi, I'm not bander but if you have a long flight couldn't you take something like actimel with you for the flight. Victoria x

Hi Victoria yeah I've been told I can have liquid but still 12.5 hours with no food is a long time!!! Thanks for your reply
Emma x

Hello there , I have eaten on a flight without any problems what so ever, I was very cautious though, and what I also did was whilst I was at the airport and had checked in 2 hours prior to my flight time I went into a restaurant at the airport and ate the main meal then( so to speak )that would keep me going for 4/5 hours of the flight time and I knew when I was on-board the ate stuff I knew I would be safe with ( yoghurts, shakes, energy drinks and anything else I bought from the shop prior to boarding), please dont forget we are not allowed to take anything through to passport control, but if your local airport has a boots I found their range really good and enabled me to stop worrying about what I can / cannot eat on board. Also I would suggest finding out from your airline what inflight meals they provide , there could be something off their menu you can find easy to digest. Hope this helps - Julie xx

Last edited:
Thanks so much Julie so what did you eat just the shakes and yoghurts? This has all come as a shock to me as I take at least one long haul flight a year and it was just explained to me today that I should not try and eat anything with lumps! This is actually a business trip and I' m travelling with a colleague who is unaware of my band and we are travelling club class and my provider is saying that basically I need to take my own cup a soup onboard. I am a fairly new bander 5 months post op and still have no restriction with 5.5 ml in a 10ml were you restricted when you travelled? Thanks so much for replying to my post!! Emma x

Some providers suggest a bit of a defill but that I believe depends on how restricted you are. Best to check with your nurse. I was fine flying for eight hours just a few weeks after my band was fitted and I have flown again since with no problems. I ate the plane food which was perfect as it came in teeny portions and was very soft. but it's not a bad idea to maybe take some healthy snacks/ meal substitutes of your own just in case you are affected by the flying, or even if when you are out there there are not always the best food choices for you to make. My handbag was full of bits and bobs, so I knew if I was travelling or there was nowhere to eat every 3-4 hours I would have something I could have. Have you sorted your travel insurance too? :)

There's no issue with insurance for this trip as its covered through work but my next trip is leisure so do I need to inform them? Michelle I spoke to my nurse today and even tho I currently have NO restriction she still said that she wouldn't recommend I try anything even remotely lumpy while flying. I've been in tears most of the day as not only is this process so much slower than I was lead to believe but every time I speak to them there seems o be another BUT that comes out of the woodwork :( so how restricted we're you both when you travelled?

I had 7 or 7.5mils in my 14 mil band, but not sure if that means anything as all our stomachs are different sizes too. I didn't have any feeling of restriction at that level. Could you speak to the airline beforehand and advise them that you have special dietary requirements. I am sure there will be other things available that are suitable rather than just yoghurt and shakes ... Soup/fish/mash/omelette/ice cream .. All things you could mash easily with a fork, without anyone knowing you have your band.

Insurance ... If I am honest, I should have known better. I didn't contact my insurer and update them...but I should have done to make sure I was still covered. Massive Wrap on the knuckles ... I will do though, because I wouldn't want to take the risk of something happening overseas and not being covered then ending up with a hefty medical bill.

Don't let it get you down. It's all to protect you at the end of the day...just need to come up with a plan x

Thank you Michelle! travelling business there is quite an extensive menu! I actually work for the airline so I know there's nothing I can do in advance but I dare say I could have a discrete word with the crew to make sure that I get my first choice from the menu. I feel more positive now and I know they are only protecting themselves but my nurse was basically 'do not let any lumps pass your lips' which had me terrified! I would be starving when I arrived after flying for 12.5 hours on liquid only then arriving In god knows what heat! I would probably faint :s thanks again it's a real help !

If your worried about work colleges etc who don't know about band etc just take some slim fast or the like and say your trying too cut back a bit and your watching what u eat , that's what I say hope this helps and good luck xxxx

Off to Egypt in a few weeks and asked while in for my first fill yesterday about the band and the heat and also eating during the flight. The nurse advised eating before flying and then liquids on the flight. Ok on a short 5 hour flight I know, have a 12 hour one at the end of the year so hopefully will be well practiced eating by then. A little anxious about the effect of the heat though.

The people I am having my band fitted with say that if you have a fill if the flight is longer than 4 hours you need your band unfilled :O Bit of a pain eh?

Bella it is certainly a bit of a pain especially as this all has to be paid for once I'm outside of my 2 years aftercare meaning that all my holidays will be £250 extra due to the defill then the top up! Its at times like this when you realise private medical care is a business at the end of the day and it's not about what's best for you!! David I'm sure you'll be fine on 5 hours it should be fine not eating for that length of time but i'll be fainting after 12 hours, I can't express enough in words how much I HATE slimfast and anything milk based so if I can't eat i'm just gonna get trollied on the free booze and go to sleep:D. I'll update a post on my return to let you all know how it goes! Thanks for all the replies

Back