• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Flying with band

Oasiscalm

I am due to go on holiday this week on a long haul (8hrs) flight and would like to know if anyone has had any experince with flying with a band.

My last fill was approx 6 wks ago.

I did a 2.5 hour followed by a 11 hour and had a latte on the stopover. On the long haul I took a protein shake and they had milk on the plan to mix it with. I had problems on landing, that nothing would go down for 6 hours after landing, and even saliva was getting tricky. But then it cleared and all was ok.

On the way back for the reverse of the long then short, I was fine, could even have a spoon of delicious gourmet airplane food :)eek:). Still took a protein shake and was fine. Had another ridiculously priced Starbucks latte on the stopover on the way back as well.

Even if I couldn't have eaten on the plane, it would only be for a few hours and just keep calm. I think that stressing over it will make things worse. You aren't going to starve in a few hours ;)

I had a fill early march then flew to Florida mid may (had 6.75ml in 10ml band) ate before getting on plane also ate and drank on flight just choose softer option, had no issue with tightening at all x

I fly a lot, mainly long-haul and never had a problem with my band and flying. In fact, it never occurred to me I could have had a problem!! Oops! :)

I have never had any problems with long or short haul flights. Go with what your provider says .... And have a fab time :)

Thanks for the advice my surgeon's secretary has gone on holiday so I had no way of getting in touch with my team. Hopefully it will be fine. My only option at this late stage (flying on Weds) is to go private to get a slight defill.

Very few providers advise or suggest a defill - I am due to fly next week which is why I've not had a fill since June, (not that it makes much difference to me in terms of restriction as I have so very little) Im actually hoping that it will go tighter LOL

Ive been to the canaries and had no problems. I didn't eat at all the first time but after that I did, I try to stick to softer foods and liquids x x

Very few providers advise or suggest a defill - I am due to fly next week which is why I've not had a fill since June, (not that it makes much difference to me in terms of restriction as I have so very little) Im actually hoping that it will go tighter LOL

THG used to advise a slight defill when I got banded originally two years ago, but its more down to the individual nowadays I think :confused: I never had any fluid removed as I was never really tight. For others who are really restricted, they may still suggest a teeny bit is removed to avoid issues ... I would still always suggest having the conversation with a provider, just in case ... And also make sure holiday insurance covers all eventualities ... Don't want to be stuck abroad, unhappy because overtight and not knowing what to do about it.

Hi I flew to Hong Kong last year. I am with THG and I did have a defill before. Was a combined decision between me and them as they were unable to predict how tight i would go and I didn't want to be faced with the prospect of not being able to eat on a 12 hour flight. I ended up flying with 5 ml in a 10ml band and it was fine during the flight and no issues after I landed.

xx

So I decided to turn up at my clinic as I thought I was too tight to fly, in fact I think I was too tight in general as I was experincing acid reflux and was pb'ing a fair bit. Also whenever I fly I tend to become very gassy and am prone to swelling.

My surgeon gave me practically a full defill (4ml of the 6ml), he said he prefer it that way more to avoid any issues whilst away.
Whilst flying I didn't have any issues except for when we were landing my stomach became tight but it stopped once I walked around.

I am due to go on holiday this week on a long haul (8hrs) flight and would like to know if anyone has had any experince with flying with a band.

My last fill was approx 6 wks ago.

Hi,

I fly lots ...

Anyway it's fine flying, the longest flight I've taken with my band is 13hrs (directly followed by a 4 hour flight), I had a small defill, and ate on the plane.

HTHs

So I decided to turn up at my clinic as I thought I was too tight to fly, in fact I think I was too tight in general as I was experincing acid reflux and was pb'ing a fair bit. Also whenever I fly I tend to become very gassy and am prone to swelling.

My surgeon gave me practically a full defill (4ml of the 6ml), he said he prefer it that way more to avoid any issues whilst away.
Whilst flying I didn't have any issues except for when we were landing my stomach became tight but it stopped once I walked around.

Wow, thats a serious defill lol but glad it all went well and hopefully things will improve moving forward when you get back to having your fills :)

I've flown with a filled band several times including long haul 10+ hours to/from the USA. My fill would have been 7ml in a 10ml band last time - no probs. I was able to eat a small amount and drink too. My dietician was confident I could travel without the need for a defill but best to get their advice.

Back