• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food Funerals.....

Mrs Z

Sounds stupid but I'm having food funerals. I'm saying goodbye to things I won't be able to have again (at least not how I used to eat them).

I'm due to start the Liver Diet in 2 weeks and have my bypass 2 weeks after that. I know I can never eat some of these things again. Thinner and healthier wins over food and drink every time in the long run.

Did anyone else do this or am I going mad?

I thought I would but once I'd made my mine up to have surgery I started to thing (rightly or wrongly) of food as the enemy, also I got offered a cancellation at 5pm one evening, and as the date was less than 2 weeks away I needed to start my LSD the very next day, I did fleetingly think of going out for a meal but as I had prepared chicken and veggies for dinner I stuck with that, all I did have was 2 large voddies and diet cokes that evening.

Enjoy your food funerals but maybe its not goodbye forever.........

Good luck xxx

Again, i was going to do this, and then my op was brought forward 3 weeks so i started my LSD that day.

enjoy x

This is something I've done aswell, I've spoke to my biatric team and I know near enough about when about my operation is going to be, because of work and a holiday it's going to be first week of November. So aswell as continuing to lose weight I'm slowly saying bye to all the nawties which I won't be able to have after.

Sounds stupid but I'm having food funerals. I'm saying goodbye to things I won't be able to have again (at least not how I used to eat them). I'm due to start the Liver Diet in 2 weeks and have my bypass 2 weeks after that. I know I can never eat some of these things again. Thinner and healthier wins over food and drink every time in the long run. Did anyone else do this or am I going mad?

I stuck to a strict diet leading up to the op. Then the weekend before I started my pre op diet I had a food funeral, that way I knew I wouldn't put on too much weight if any (as I made sure I also exercised). Ended up not gaining any :) had I have done it for 2 weeks before the pre op I would have probably gained a stone!

I'm not too bothered about sweet things. I'm not a cake, biscuit or chocolate person but I'm really going to miss bread, cheese, pate and wine. I've lost nearly 3 stone since being referred and am not going daft and eating for the sake of it bit I am looking at food differently now I know it's getting closer. I'm glad I'm not the only one. My husband laughed when I said I was having food funerals. Then he bought me a cheese and olive roll in tonight wrapped in a black cloth. It's own little funeral. He is as mad as me.

I'm not too bothered about sweet things. I'm not a cake, biscuit or chocolate person but I'm really going to miss bread, cheese, pate and wine. I've lost nearly 3 stone since being referred and am not going daft and eating for the sake of it bit I am looking at food differently now I know it's getting closer. I'm glad I'm not the only one. My husband laughed when I said I was having food funerals. Then he bought me a cheese and olive roll in tonight wrapped in a black cloth. It's own little funeral. He is as mad as me.

I was the same, I've never had a sweet tooth and actually dislike chocolate, but bread wow that was my major weakness, its been over 9 months since I had any bread and I can honestly say I don't miss it at all :)

I have cut down an awful lot on what I used to scoff. A huge reduction. I'm planning a few more (smaller) funerals.

Got to say a respectful goodbye to bread and olives and pate and steak...........

I'm 3 months post op and regularly nibble on olives, have low fat pate and have managed toast for breakfast a couple of times. I have cheese several times a week and REALLY don't feel like I'm missing out. I have a glass of wine on the weekend's with my girlfriends and don't miss anything because I still eat a varied diet, just much smaller portions.

My point is, there's no need for "food funerals" they're just an excuse to binge and this is the kind of behaviour that has led us all to need weightloss surgery! Don't worry about never having XYZ again because chances are you will have it again or post op it simply won't appeal to you again and you'll be totally off it.

I'm 3 months post op and regularly nibble on olives, have low fat pate and have managed toast for breakfast a couple of times. I have cheese several times a week and REALLY don't feel like I'm missing out. I have a glass of wine on the weekend's with my girlfriends and don't miss anything because I still eat a varied diet, just much smaller portions. My point is, there's no need for "food funerals" they're just an excuse to binge and this is the kind of behaviour that has led us all to need weightloss surgery! Don't worry about never having XYZ again because chances are you will have it again or post op it simply won't appeal to you again and you'll be totally off it.

You are drinking wine already? Someone told me 2 years before I can have alcohol lol and as a 23 year old who likes an evening out with friends and a cocktail I was pretty gutted!! X

I can confirm I have had wine and survived to tell the tale. I know it's not recommended as it's empty calories but I factor them into my allowance and stop at one drink and it's been ok. I've also had a vodka cranberry juice which was also ok. For me this is about a lifestyle change and a new way of living - I have a glass, not a whole bottle as I used to and this is manageable and works out for my new life!

You are drinking wine already? Someone told me 2 years before I can have alcohol lol and as a 23 year old who likes an evening out with friends and a cocktail I was pretty gutted!! X

I was told at least 8-12 months post bypass for alcohol.

I've been on puree for 1 week now, and I had a gin the other night, (just one single gin, in a pint of NAS squash, which i made last me all night). I told my dietician this yesterday and he said it was absolutely fine.

I also told him I am going on holiday in 3 weeks and planned one having a couple then, again he said it's fine.

He just reminded me of the usual a) its empty calories b) nothing fizzy c) remember you wont be able to have as much as before the op.

I'm 5 weeks post op..

I thought i might have a last binge but no not bothered, i was too into losing weight and was in that mindset!!
Stacey im glad you have survived the alcohol and are still with us!!

After losing this much to get the surgery I was never going to binge on anything. I've just been saying goodbye to foods, in much, much smaller portions that I have been told I won't be able to eat for a very long time.

After losing this much to get the surgery I was never going to binge on anything. I've just been saying goodbye to foods, in much, much smaller portions that I have been told I won't be able to eat for a very long time.

I think its ok as long as you dont go crazy about it and overeat.. You are having bypass arent you? So your situation might be abit different from people who have had sleeves. (Dumping and etc.).

dont feel bad or stupid. Just watch the cals and portions and everything will be fine! :) i am sure plenty of people did it maybe didnt quiet call it in this way :)

I had two "funerals". My first payday after I met my surgeon, I had a last payday takeaway (which ended up lasting a few days as leftovers instead of the usual single night, I just naturally ate much smaller portions of it), and the weekend before my surgery, I had a real diet coke fling. I was a diet coke addict, but I'm told never again, not even flat. It is worth it to give up for a healthier and happier life, but I did need to say goodbye :)

I think sometimes you need to do these things, so do whatever's right for you. Wine will be my big goodbye, but I'm cutting back from now! ?

Back