• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling!!!!!

nikki f

Hi guys I has me bypass 18 days ago and I'm now on the second week of purée food (still 2 weeks to go) and I don't think I can take anymore!!!!! I've barely been eating because I just can't face it. I tried pureeing my own meals but that was just awful so I bought baby food and added cheese or yoghurt for extra protein but now they make me feel sick at the sight.
I do t know what to do. I know I'm not getting enough protein in a day or eating enough so the weight is just stuck I just don't know what to do anymore eating has never been such a big issue.
I keep breaking down in tears and feel like I'll never be "normal" again.
I've lost 2 1/2 stone including pre op so I'm really disappointed with myself because I'm doing something wrong, I'm really struggling with food cause I just cannot think of what to eat and it's driving me mad!!!!
Please help!!!!

Nikki, I'm not a bypasser (but you may well be worth posting this in the bypass section so that you can get specific help from fellow bypassers) :)

But, firstly, don't be hard on yourself and don't be disappointed. It is common, if we aren't taking on enough food, calories etc that the body will retain what it is but when we are and do start eating, that it kick starts the losses.

You've lost 2 1/2 stone, thats a GREAT achievement and you only had your surgery 18 days ago.

One thing if you're struggling for protein - are you still able to have things such as protein shakes? Or if not try protein water to help you get that protein on board.

Also, contact your provider, your dietitician and ask for their help and advise, ask for their suggestions in what you can do foodwise. But definitely give them a call, ask for their help and advice.

Also, check out the bypass board, I think there are stickies on that board with menu ideas and what people eat at certain times . . .

One thing I did find when I was on the mashed stage of food that I found that I had to puree it all separately so that I could get different tastes of the individual foods rather than preparing a meal and then pureeing it all together. That way, each individual thing could be tasted in its own right and I found that a lighter and more appetising way to eat it.

I'm sorry you're struggling, but you have done so well already :)

It gets easier every day. Just take it a day at a time and don't put so much pressure on yourself. Your weight loss is great xx

Hi there. I'm a sleever but obviously had to do the 4 week puree stage too! First off, can I ask why you are disappointed with your weight loss? Did you do the standard 2 weeks or pre op diet? 2.5 stone gone is 2.5 stone gone forever this time so don't be so hard on yourself. It's hard in these first weeks to get used to your new insides and you are no doubt still a little tired and ouchy aswell. You're doing fine but you should almost certainly be eating more, but you know that already. x
I found the best things (lest offensive!) to puree were those that were kind of supposed to be soft to start with. Fish pie and cottage pie were a "favourite", especially if you keep the potato and meat etc seperate so they are a bot more as they would normally be. How about porridge? When I literally could not stomach anything savoury but didn't want to just eat yoghurt etc, Porridge was my mainstay. You still have to puree it at this stage but you can use sweetner or whizzed up tinned fruit / banana to sweeen it. Also flaked rice pudding the same. Cheesy mash potato and cauliflower cheese are also surprisingly palatable as puree (I think because they taste the same as when you eat them properly). I also found roast dinners or chicken in gravy (with a pinch of stuffing) in not as awful as other things.
Another way of avoiding the puree is to have milky drinks maybe (although if you did the milk diet pre op you may also be soooo over this too!).
Bottom line is that you do need to get eating something as this will affect your mood and your progress too. I definitely found that the 2-4 week post op stage was very hard food wise but as soon as you are allowed soft food, it's like a revelation.......never before will you have you loved scrambled egg like you do now! lol.
My advice would be to try very hard to stomach frequent, small portions even if they are only milk based / porridge etc and keep this up until you are allowed soft foods. Take that easy and slowly at first as you won't have tried lots of foods in the puree stage. Try not to worry about being "normal" again. Those of us who had to use surgery as a tool weren't textbook "normal" to begin with really so are unlikely to become that post op I guess. You will always have to eat much smaller portions than everyone else and there will no doubt be food which you will have to avoid long term but I'd say you should embrace this and see it as the pathway to a new you......however long it takes! BEST OF LUCK, hope things look up for you really soon. Jo xxx

I felt awful at three weeks out, very emotional. Its normal. Also 2.5 stone sounds great to me, I'm 7 weeks out and have lost just over 3 stone, so its all good. I promise you will feel normal again, it just takes time. I understand the puree stage is quite depressing, it wont last forever. I found pureeing chunky soups and adding a little cheese really helped me.

im 2 weeks out and had bypass loop and i lost 6pound so your weightloss is really good. i havent lost anything last week :( and so far nothing since. try pureeing your food seperate thats what i do, i make a small pan of carrot, turnip parsnip and mash those together they dont take much blending. then i do the same with mash potatoe, then peas and green beans. so when you go to have your meal you can have mash, carrots peas, seperately rather than mixed together... then blend your meat with the gravy so chicken mixed with chicken gravy poured over the top of your little meal. tastes much nicer.. yoghurts, low sugar, low fat custard with stewed apple, low sugar low fat home made rice pudding, semolina, weetabix minis, caulifflower cheese with fish. also i get the tins of spaghetti hoops and spaghetti bolognese. the 200g kids ones making sure sugar is not high and have some of that too. tonight im having pureed parsnip with, mash potato, then tinned steak in gravy all blended on there own so tastes nicer. x

Hi guys I has me bypass 18 days ago and I'm now on the second week of purée food (still 2 weeks to go) and I don't think I can take anymore!!!!! I've barely been eating because I just can't face it. I tried pureeing my own meals but that was just awful so I bought baby food and added cheese or yoghurt for extra protein but now they make me feel sick at the sight.
I do t know what to do. I know I'm not getting enough protein in a day or eating enough so the weight is just stuck I just don't know what to do anymore eating has never been such a big issue.
I've lost 2 1/2 stone including pre op so I'm really disappointed with myself because I'm doing something wrong, I'm really struggling with food cause I just cannot think of what to eat and it's driving me mad!!!!
Please help!!!!
Hi Nikki,

My post op instructions were slightly different in that my soft and puree stage were together and I didn't have to puree anything. It may be worth speaking to your dietician and asking if they will allow that. If not, the suggestions above are really good. Also make sure the food is really flavourful before pureeing. Alternatively, thicken up your soups with things like baby rice.

Please help!!!!

Firstly give yourself a break lady. You're less than three weeks out from major surgery and still healing both physically and mentally. Forget baby foods as they are simply not designed to deliver the nutrients needed by adults, they taste like crap too. There are a number of recipe threads here to get you through this difficult time but I can still remember how difficult it was getting through.

I ate a lot of cottage cheese as its soft and easy to get down. I also ate mashed potato with an oxo cube in a little hot water to give it some taste, but the best meals were things like chili and spagbol that had been blitzed in the blender. If you're really struggling to get enough protein in then try and find a shake that you like or can at least tolerate. The body fortress ones from Holland and Barratt are cheap and cheerful, just don't buy huge tubs.

But just remember why you went through this and take a deep breath. Trust me you will be fine and this time will pass. A few weeks from now when your clothes are falling off you and everyone is telling you how great you look, you'll look back and this and giggle. Good luck with it

Thank you all for your amazing support and advice. I know what the goal is and I know I'm being silly getting in such a state for a 4 week stage it's just soo depressing to eat mush all the time!!!!!
I know the 4 weeks will fly by and I've just gotta pull myself together and deal with but honestly your support means so much and has made me feel so much better thank you all so so much
Xxxxxxx

Back