• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food issues that i struggle to control

Cornish Pixie

I'm a general read from afar type but today I had an awful day and wanted to share to see if I am alone.

I had a sleeve at the end of October and have had a fairly uneventful time. I have food issues, I always have and guess I always will. I have read often on here that people have no interest in food, I am the unfortunate opposite. I suffer with 'head hunger' and it showed itself really badly in the supermarket today. I went shopping for eggs, and came out with a huge bag of cheese puffs, feta stuffed peppers of which I ate 50+g of the crisps and some peppers, I have a good partner who chucked them on the fire when I got home to stop me eating more.

I am now moody and unhappy for two reasons 1) the fact I have NO self control and massively struggle to break old habits, to be honest I don't know if I ever will 2) I am so happy to be losing weight but I am clearly setting myself up to fail again as I can't control myself.

I hate having food issues, and the constant battle I am in - am I alone?

Hi. Don't be so hard on yourself. The demons do return in the end. Mine took longer than yours but its a battle!

Try and be kind to yourself and get back to basics.

Like you the demons are still there for me. My aim is to do the best that I can each day. And on a bad day, the best might just be that I didn't manage to eat all the chocolate. But its not every day. We are allowed to have bad days and to be human.

Nope. I lovingly dunked some chocolate in my cuppa earlier tonight. It was fabulous. It was one of the things I thought never possible post bypass but I really really enjoyed it and wont do it again for ages (first time since before the milk diet & time of the month) I had 2/3rds of a naked omlete for dinner, few hours later felt hungry but didnt want a banana, wanted the dairy milk. Ive done it. Mmmm :)
Tomorrow is a new day. No chocolate for me, no crisps for you!
Listen to your body, those voices up top talk nonsense :)

I'm the same Hun, I try to see my new life as not being on a diet, but being healthy and normal. I do include all foods...... Like a normal person! But try to have the healthier options of them, so if I have crisps I always have low fat ones or snack-a-jacks. If I ever want chocolate ill have a freddo or 1 square of something. If I didn't do this I would go back to old ways, it's worked for me so far...... I'm 9st 6lb down in a year! Don't beat yourself up too much, start tomorrow as a new day xx

Hi cornish pixie, I was sleeved in May but still do eat treat foods occasionally. However I have got into bad habits over christmas and there are still some mince pies and biscuits left which I keep scoffing. I haven't put weight on but I am aware how easy it is to get back into old bad habits. I am going to take what's left in to work tomorrow so that i can't eat it and i've bought some grapes to snack on instead. I think the only way is not to have the food in the house until you've regained control. It is difficult to do that if you've got kids but somehow i can separate their stuff from mine and i don't touch it. Hang on in there, you can do it, make sure you have healthy snacks such as fruit, carrot sticks, nuts etc, and keep drinking too!!! Good luck xxxx

I'm almost a year out and nearly where I want to be but I still crave crap and give in to those cravings a few times a week. My surgeon seems to think it's par for the course but that I must work very hard to not allow it to get the better of me and that introducing an maintaining regular exercise is the way to maintain weight loss long term whilst still enjoying a little of what you fancy (little being the operative word) like "normal" people do. Don't beat yourself up. Think positive and do the very best you can to keep on track. I lover the new me but I love that I still enjoy food too. Take care. x

Hi lovely,

of course you are not alone, everyone has their own reasons for their weight but a lot of us have food demons. I for one have very similar issues to you but I have managed to only act out once since having my band fitted and I think that is purely down to the CBT therapy I have been through. It really has helped me to cope and I would highly recommend anyone going to their doctor and getting refered for it, especially after WLS

Not alone at all. My demons are well and truly still with me. They are the proverbial bad and good demon sitting on my shoulders all the time whispering in my ear. I relaxed a little over the new year period and am now struggling to keep on track this week. Fortunately there is nothing "unhealthy" in the house for me to eat as we pre-empted this happening & cleared all goodies out on the 1st/2nd Jan, Yet even though there is nothing there I still go from cupboard to cupboard looking for something to munch ... Quite pathetic really :sigh:

Put me on the list of people whose issues are well and truely still presant. Over the last year I have come to see myself as an addict in recovery, to a certain extent anyway. I still do that, go in to a supermarket and buy stuff I shouldn't, sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't. I did hope that surgery would put pay to the torture of it, but I know now I was naive. But it has dampened it down and it helps me manage it better now. I try to relax and let go of the guilt, it does more harm than good.

My friend left me bag of haggis flavoured crisps when I was away last week which lasted all 7 nights. Pre-op I'd have scoffed the full big bag in 15mins. I reckon ones like skips/cheese puffs etc I'd easily fit a heck of a lot more in because they dissolve.

This week I'm back home so back to protein, veg, small amount of carbs. Put it behind you. If you're going to buy them consider just buying one small bag and eat the feta peppers first so you're protein filled. Damage limitation and also being human. You identified a challenge to weight loss and can look at how best to avoid that. I find cheese and salty crackers hits the crisp craving spot as a savoury as they also make me feel full. My greatest weakness pre-op was crisps, it always has been.

It really is worth looking into some therapy to help dissolve the food demons whilst you have the restriction. It's in my plans too and I'm going to start by rereading and doing the Beck Diet Solution which is basically self-help CBT.

Thank you all for your kind words, its so good for me to see that others have similar issues to myself and it kinda makes me not feel so bad and less of an alien to know not I'm not alone. Today is another day, and I have dusted myself down and have fought the demons whilst driving past McDonalds today - I told myself that it wasn't what I needed and for the first time in i dont know how long I drove by. The shopping thing, I have hatched a plan to stop me buying rubbish that I don't need, i am going to take cash with me to the value of the eggs (or whatever it is I am buying) so I can't buy junk to eat, I will repost in a week to see if it worked! I have considered asking for CBT but I am naturally quite sceptical having tried hypnosis which was a complete waste of money, I will speak to my surgeon next week to gauge his reaction. The suggestion of the crackers to fix the crisp hit is brilliant, but in my head i know it wouldn't work. I have lived with alternatives and i would just end up eating both the crackers & the crisps - aarghh, I knew this wasnt a magic fix and I am really going to work hard to get to where I want to be but its so bloomin hard.

My friend left me bag of haggis flavoured crisps when I was away last week which lasted all 7 nights. Pre-op I'd have scoffed the full big bag in 15mins. I reckon ones like skips/cheese puffs etc I'd easily fit a heck of a lot more in because they dissolve.

This week I'm back home so back to protein, veg, small amount of carbs. Put it behind you. If you're going to buy them consider just buying one small bag and eat the feta peppers first so you're protein filled. Damage limitation and also being human. You identified a challenge to weight loss and can look at how best to avoid that. I find cheese and salty crackers hits the crisp craving spot as a savoury as they also make me feel full. My greatest weakness pre-op was crisps, it always has been.

It really is worth looking into some therapy to help dissolve the food demons whilst you have the restriction. It's in my plans too and I'm going to start by rereading and doing the Beck Diet Solution which is basically self-help CBT.

Haggis flavoured crisps? Bleugh!

Thank you so much for your kind words, its so great to discover I'm not alone.

Today has been a better day, as I have excelled myself by driving past McDonalds I have been inspired by people with more willpower that myself - so today ' I don't need to eat mcdonalds ' which is what I was saying to myself whilst speeding past trying not to look at the alluring sign!

Your comments and suggestions have been super for me to read, I am going to speak to my consultant next week about CBT but I am naturally sceptical but I should really be more open minded I guess.

I am going to alter my shopping habits next time I go to shop and will only take the exact money for what I need, I will see if that works :) thank you for letting me know its not unusual to be the way I am - makes me feel better.

I'm having g such trouble replying to you all, I've typed 3 long responses and lost each one, it doesn't display them for some reason aargh - will try again in a bit with a proper response.

I'm having g such trouble replying to you all, I've typed 3 long responses and lost each one, it doesn't display them for some reason aargh - will try again in a bit with a proper response.

Copy it before pressing send in case it goes again.

Firstly thank you so much for all of your responses, its comforting to know others also struggle, knowing that eases my dislike of myself and my behaviour.

I dusted my self off after yesterday and did well today, as I sped past McDonalds, whilst refusing to look at the alluring " come in and eat " sign it did dawn on me that its not what I needed today so was p!eased with myself that I didn't give in as I did in the supermarket.

I have made a plan with regards to the supermarket shop, in that I am only going to take the correct amount of money for whatever it is that I am buying in a bid to not buy any rubbish whilst I am there - I will post in a week how that has gone!

I am due a follow up next week, I will mention to the consultant about CBT, I have considered this before but I am naturally sceptical about it but will try hard not to be, as any help I can get the better. I've read so much on here that they don't address the head stuff as much as they probably should, its so hard to break down old habits isn't it.

The suggestion of the crackers to substitute crisps is brilliant but know it wouldn't work for me. I know what would happen, I would eat the crackers and still carry on longing for the crisps and that wouldn't go away until I had them - I totally know it's all in my head but I truly believe its an addiction and my sensible head tells me to get a grip and stop being so ridiculous, where the winning side of my thoughts does not always win but it does mostly. I will xontine the battle as I am so inspired by the weight loss I see some of you have achieved. I can do this, I know I can but its so hard - so thank you for taking the time to add support for me.

Firstly thank you so much for all of your responses, its comforting to know others also struggle, knowing that eases my dislike of myself and my behaviour.

I dusted my self off after yesterday and did well today, as I sped past McDonalds, whilst refusing to look at the alluring " come in and eat " sign it did dawn on me that its not what I needed today so was p!eased with myself that I didn't give in as I did in the supermarket.

I have made a plan with regards to the supermarket shop, in that I am only going to take the correct amount of money for whatever it is that I am buying in a bid to not buy any rubbish whilst I am there - I will post in a week how that has gone!

I am due a follow up next week, I will mention to the consultant about CBT, I have considered this before but I am naturally sceptical about it but will try hard not to be, as any help I can get the better. I've read so much on here that they don't address the head stuff as much as they probably should, its so hard to break down old habits isn't it.

The suggestion of the crackers to substitute crisps is brilliant but know it wouldn't work for me. I know what would happen, I would eat the crackers and still carry on longing for the crisps and that wouldn't go away until I had them - I totally know it's all in my head but I truly believe its an addiction and my sensible head tells me to get a grip and stop being so ridiculous, where the winning side of my thoughts does not always win but it does mostly. I will xontine the battle as I am so inspired by the weight loss I see some of you have achieved. I can do this, I know I can but its so hard - so thank you for taking the time to add support for me.

Back