• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food just doesn't feel right Advice pls

Andrea73

For the past few days things just haven't felt right when eating. I don't know what it is but when I eat i just feel blocked up. I get the feeling about chest level and have also been experiencing windy pains. I used to be able to have a spoonful of ice-cream but now even that is causing me to dump severely. I seem to be super-sensitive to anything sweet just now. It is also time of the month and these have been getting worse since having the bypass 6 months ago as well.

Any advice you experience bypassers can give would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Andrea
I know from past posts that eating to restriction can give you that feeling you describe in your chest but if you are not eating much then that doesn't fit in. Remember some foods that make you dump one day/week might not have the same effect next time around. I too get windy pains now that i didn't have before i'm about 6 weeks in front of you.Thats not really much help but didn't want to read and run. Won't do any harm to give your team a wee call and run it past them. Hope you get it sorted out soon and feel better xx

Thanks Allie, I thought no one was going to reply. Its funny cos I had chilli con carne for tea tonight with no rice. I ate some ok and then afterwards the feelings in my stomach were really weird. Some things felt like I was pregnant and the baby was kicking!!! Do you think this is normal feelings??

Hi Andrea

Allie has already given you some great advice. I too am only about 6 weeks ahead of you, and I have good days and bad days. Some days it feels like my tum has a mind of its own, with bloating and grumbling etc. I think its just something that goes with the territory with our new plumbing.

If when you have pain it feels like wind, try some windeze or similar and see if it helps. If youve managed to eat chilli tonight then it doesnt sound like you have a blockage or anything. Are you still being careful to chew properly before swallowing as I find this can help to reduce the grumbling in my tum.

As always, if in pain or if at all concerned that things are not right - its always best to consult your bariatric team.

A baby kicking is a perfect way to describe it Andrea thats how it feels for me too and i know when i checked that out it was normal. I've seen myself in meetings and praying people will keep talking cause my stomach is making so much noise! As Sam sys all prt and prcel of the journey. Hope you are feeling better today and things have settled down xx

Hi Andrea, are you taking lansoprazole or another PPI? I find if I miss mine for more than a few days my tummy goes a bit mad.

Are you constipated? This also causes me to get a lot of wind as it literally can't go anywhere!

Try eating basic and bland diet for a few days, no carbs, maybe try having soft foods and obviously no sugar if you are dumping a lot.

I am finding a lot of changes still at 8 months out. I have been more tollerant of sugar lately, but I am sure I dumped this morning and it can only be the diabetic jam that I have been every day for months, so our tollerance levels definitely vary, which teaches us not to be complacent I suppose!

And I also find, one day I can eat loads, and the next day if I try the same food my body won't let me have 3 mouthfulls before it tightens that belt around my chest.

My advice would be to listen to your body. If it's giving you pain when you eat it's telling you to stop, so don't push it. I don't know whether it's telling you to stop as it needs a rest, or if there is something wrong, only you and your doctors can tell you that, and if you are worried at all, you should see a doctor.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Rx

Thanks for all the replies. Rose I think you are spot on with what you are saying, I just need to accept that things are going to be different each day. I do take my lansparazole tablet twice daily so it can't be that. I am going to keep a food diary and maybe that will help show a pattern or at least see what foods are triggering pains.

Many thanks

Back