• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY GASTRIC BYPASS - HELP!!!

Hi :)
I'm 8 weeks post op.
Just can't seem to tolerate foods at all.
I'm living on crackers and cheese slices.
Since the bypass, I've been suffering from severe gas and diarrhea. My Surgeon and Dietician both keep saying "It'll get better". I'm feeling so depressed and constantly have an upset stomach and bowels. Starting to really regret this op. Can anybody help me? Suggest food that I should eat? I'm not having any fats or sugars but seem to have dumping syndrome constantly. PLEASE HELP :-(

Hi Princess, sorry you are having such a tough time of it. Have you considered that you might be lactose intolerant? It can happen after a bypass, and doesn't always last for long. I'm only a week out but had one day of real discomfort after drinking a lot of milk - I've since switched to lactose free milk and feel 100% better. It might be the cheese that's giving you wind and diarrhoea - Sainsbury do a lactose free cheese so might be worth trying that too.

What sort of things have you tried eating? From what people say here it seems that if you try something and it doesn't agree with you on day, try again a bit later and it might be better then. The pouch doesn't seem to be very consistant!

And just a suggestion to try and get you out of an awful place, why don't you go back to just fluids for a day or two to let things settle down and then reintroduce the softer foods? It might help. Please don't be depressed - this wont last forever and you will already be reaping the health benefits of this bypass.

Hopefully someone else can come along and give you some other ideas and support.:)

please dont regret it, but if your team say it will get better it probably will just give it time, but i do feel for you xxxxxxxxx

Hi Princess, sorry you are having such a tough time of it. Have you considered that you might be lactose intolerant? It can happen after a bypass, and doesn't always last for long. I'm only a week out but had one day of real discomfort after drinking a lot of milk - I've since switched to lactose free milk and feel 100% better. It might be the cheese that's giving you wind and diarrhoea - Sainsbury do a lactose free cheese so might be worth trying that too.

What sort of things have you tried eating? From what people say here it seems that if you try something and it doesn't agree with you on day, try again a bit later and it might be better then. The pouch doesn't seem to be very consistant!

And just a suggestion to try and get you out of an awful place, why don't you go back to just fluids for a day or two to let things settle down and then
reintroduce the softer foods? It might help. Please don't be depressed - this
wont last forever and you will already be reaping the health benefits of this
bypass.

Hopefully someone else can come along and give you some other ideas and
support.:)

Excellent advice.

I would also add that sometimes our body gets into a vomiting cycle, an anti sickness jab from the doctor can break that cycle.

As suggested I would then avoid lactose, I would also try and eat as dry a food as possible, to try and force your body to hold onto it.

Let us no how you get on

Good luck

Julie

I called my Surgeon's office this morning to talk to him. Great news! He's on an overseas holiday. I want this surgery reversed. I've had 9 weeks of constant diarrhea. This is no way to live. :-(

What did you have done?I dont think a reversal of the RNY is possable as the stomach is cut into a smaller portion you can have a band removed of course.Ask at your hospital to see someone,just cos your surgeon is overseas you still need to see someone.Please list what you try to eat on a daily basis so we can give you a bit of advise.You might be lactose intolerant now,very common post surgery for many people.Ultimately its down to your team to help you.Maz x

I had RNY GASTRIC BYPASS. 9 weeks ago.

RE: Food

Things I've tried...

Boiled egg, Omlette, scrambled, poached
Crackers and low fat cheese slice
Mashed potato and pumpkin
Cottage Cheese
Tinned Spaghetti
Mashed banana
Soft chicken meat
Lean ham
Breakfast Cereal weetbix
Soups
Protein Shakes

I don't drink any milk or have any yoghurt

Most days I'm lucky if I eat 2-3 things

I suffer from shocking diarrhea EVERY-TIME I eat or drink anything it makes no difference what it is

I'm really depressed and sick. All I do is suffer with stomach pains and run to the toilet constantly.

This is not my idea of MY NEW LIFE! :-(

Hello,

What's the team saying? Like most ops, I'm sure they've seen it before and can help.

How much weight have you lost?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

The so-called TEAM just keep fobbing me off to the surgeon who is having an overseas holiday. Prior to now, he just kept saying "it will get better"...

I can't go out the house, I'm sick in the stomach or sitting on the loo squirting bright orange diarrhea everywhere. This is insane!

I want this surgery REVERSED! :-(

Then go to the A&E department if it's that bad. I'd not think twice about it, if it's as bad as you say and the surgical team aren't helping.

Can I ask how old you?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

The poo you describe sounds like the oily poo you get with Orlistat,does it kind of float and look greasy?If so cut all fats for a short period,You say your not having dairy but you are eating cheeses and cereal with milk or yoghurt I presume?Cut ALL dairy and see how it goes.Do you have a patient scheme where you can complain about the way you are being treated by your team?Maz x

I had RNY GASTRIC BYPASS. 9 weeks ago.

RE: Food

Things I've tried...

Boiled egg, Omlette, scrambled, poached
Crackers and low fat cheese slice
Mashed potato and pumpkin
Cottage Cheese
Tinned Spaghetti
Mashed banana
Soft chicken meat
Lean ham
Breakfast Cereal weetbix
Soups
Protein Shakes

I don't drink any milk or have any yoghurt

Most days I'm lucky if I eat 2-3 things

I suffer from shocking diarrhea EVERY-TIME I eat or drink anything it makes no difference what it is

I'm really depressed and sick. All I do is suffer with stomach pains and run to the toilet constantly.

This is not my idea of MY NEW LIFE! :-(

get rid of the tinned spagetti, cottage cheese, and the soups..... try it by elimination and see how you get on.. the soups and tinned spag will or might be high in fat and it seems you are having fatty type stools, sorry simone i was trying to email you back on facebook, hope you feel better soon xx

I am with Maz, your cottage cheese is dairy as will the milk on your cereal. I'm guessing you drink tea/coffee? Is it black or white?

Don't immediately think lactose intolerance = milk drinking. Dairy products such as yoghurts, cheese etc. What do you put in your scrambled eggs? Cos i put a dash of milk in mine and my omelettes... Slimfast shakes also didn't help my lactose intolerance at all

Read your ingredients carefully and get to the team that did your surgery, i'm darn sure there is more than one person there you can speak too xx

Back