• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food - puree stage/soups & sauce recipes

phatgirl

I just found that Ragu traditional sauce has less than 2g sugar per serving so it is an option if you can't find Jamie Oliver's tomato sauce, apparently not all sainsbury's carry it:(

Also bought Home Pride's Chicken Deluxe sauce which has very low sugar & fat. I used it pre-surgery but stopped buying it because it wasn't a bargin. It is now with my tiny servings!!!

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
I always use either home made tomato sauce (verrrrrry easy to make) or if pushed for time Bertolli tomato and basil pasta sauce, as it is the most natural one. Not sure about sugar/fat etc but I know when I looked into it it was one of the healthiest on the market :)

phatgirl

Would you post your sauce recipe for us? Lots of people might want to make their own. Thx hun! When you get the chance that is, no rush!:p

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Now, I'm kind of a throw it in and see how it turns out kinds of girl, but it would go a little bit like this -

Tomato & Basil Sauce (add stock to make it soup lol)
1 punnet of tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
Handful of basil, chopped
Squirt of fry light
tsp of splenda granulated

Spray a squirt of fry light in a saucepan and add the chopped tommys and onions. Cook over a medium heat until all soft and mushy. Depending on how juicy your tommys are you may need to add a splash of water, but hold off on that for a few minutes as it's rarely needed.

Once mushy, add the basil and splenda, allow to simmer for a couple of minutes, and blend with a hand blender (or leave chunky for a more rustic sauce).

If you prefer, skin the tommys before chopping by plunging into boiling water then cold water.

Roast Tomato & Veg Sauce

Spray a roasting dish with frylight and allow to heat up for a couple of minutes until spray is clear. Add chopped tomatoes, and any other veg you have looking sorry in the bottom of the fridge, I like courgette, peppers, and onion.

Roast at around 200c for 30-40 minutes, until mushy. Pop into a bowl and blitz with a hand blender, adding a small amount of veg stock at the end if needed.

Both freeze well.

phatgirl

Sounds yum! thanks Shell:)

phatgirl

Made a fish pie last night that was super. I will post a recipe soon but the gist was cod and prawns in parsley sauce blended smooth-ish topped with a little mash & low fat cheese. YUM!!;)

phatgirl

Just made Shel's sauce into a meat sauce to use in my fake-out lasagne and it is sooo good. I browned some lean steak mince with diced onion then drained it really well. I added it to the tomato basil sauce of Shel's (only difference there was I used canned plum toms that were skinned because I had them already). I used the hand blender a couple of times to make sure there were no big lumps of meat or veg and I left it to simmer for a bit. I froze half using the ice cube tray method so I would have small individual portions. I will keep 1/4 in the fridge for use the next couple of days and the remainder is for Mr. PG's tea tonight (he can really murder a pasta dish, that man).

Hehe, I feel so domestic today. Nigella look out...

Thx Shel, that is an easy and yummy recipe.:p

phatgirl

Just thought of a tip that may be a bit of a 'duh':doh: to help those who struggle to get their fluids in (me for sure):

Make your fluids count towards your daily food intake. For example, I have been advised to consume at the puree stage 6 servings of protein, 2 servings fruit, 2 servings veg and 2 servings carb.

If I have a milky tea that = 200-400 mls fluids and counts as a protein

If I have a glass of juice (serving is 100ml), I water it down and I get 200mls of fluid & I can count it towards fruit.

If I have a smoothie I make with milk, yogurt and some fresh fruit I get 300-400 mls of fluid & I can count a protein & fruit.

If I have a glass of tomato juice, I can count the 100mls toward my fluids and count it as a veg. I also can add 200mls of stock (beef or chicken) to it, heat it in the micro and then I have a protein, veg and 200-400 mls of fluid. I use V8 which is kinda spicy so it lends itslef to a soup.

Just thought I would add this in case it did not occur to you already. Hope it helps.;)

phatgirl

Here is a spicy soup for those who want something savoury -

Deebol posted this elsewhere and I snagged it, I hope you don't mind Dee:)!

Ive got a nice soup one.......

chopped onions softened in bit of olive oil
1 heaped tablespoon of curry powder
5 parsnips chopped
2 med potatoes chopped
boil up in stock till soft
liquidise and add single cream if wish

makes a lovely curried parsnip soup i've been living off it.

Dee xx

Thanks to you Dee!

Deebol

Hiya Nah I dont mind at all, just going to make it in a bit funnily enough. Going to Drayton Manor on Tues and since fill on Weds really struggling with most things getting like indigestion pains after a couple of spoonfulls. So...... going to take my curried parsnip soup in a flask to have on the go plus will keep my cockles warm.

Hope you enjoy it, it really is the best

Dee x

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup

1 onion, chopped
14oz butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 3/4 pints vegetable stock
1 - 2tsps cumin
seasoning to taste
spray oil

In a saucepan, spray the oil and fry the onions gently until transparent.

Add squash and then the cumin. Stir until all squash & onion are coated.

Add stock and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer gently until squash is cooked.

Allow to cool then blend to desired consistency.

Enjoy. :D

phatgirl

Hiya Nah I dont mind at all, just going to make it in a bit funnily enough. Going to Drayton Manor on Tues and since fill on Weds really struggling with most things getting like indigestion pains after a couple of spoonfulls. So...... going to take my curried parsnip soup in a flask to have on the go plus will keep my cockles warm.

Hope you enjoy it, it really is the best

Dee x

Thx chick, it hits the spot for sure. Lovely of you to share it in the 1st place. Hope your fill sorts itself out soon. Have fun on your day out!;)

phatgirl

Spicy Butternut Squash Soup

1 onion, chopped
14oz butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 3/4 pints vegetable stock
1 - 2tsps cumin
seasoning to taste
spray oil

In a saucepan, spray the oil and fry the onions gently until transparent.

Add squash and then the cumin. Stir until all squash & onion are coated.

Add stock and bring to boil. Turn down heat and simmer gently until squash is cooked.

Allow to cool then blend to desired consistency.

Enjoy. :D

I am adding this soup to my to do list this week, sounds divine. Thanks for sharing!

:rolleyes:

phatgirl

MEXICAN BEAN DIP

Ingredients:
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 410g can of Red Kidney Beans rinsed & drained
½ to 1 cup of Chicken stock
¼ teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
125g shredded low-fat cheddar

*Optional to make this a Mexican-American treat: add a small spoon of plain low-fat yogurt topped with a small spoon of spicy tomato salsa to each serving

Instructions:

Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pan, stirring constantly until soft and lightly browned should take about 5-6 minutes. Add in the beans and mash with a potato masher to make a course puree. Stir in enough broth to make it have a creamy consistency. If you are in the early puree stage, a hand blender will help make it chunk-free. Continue to cook until the mixture is hot all the way through. Add the seasonings and the cumin. Remove from heat and add the cilantro & cheese.

Serve warm or at room temp but not cold because it gets too thick.

Serving details:
Serving size – 60-65g or ¼ cup or about 3 heaping tablespoons

Calories: 59, Fat: 2g, Carbs: 8gs (tiny amount of sugar, mostly fibre) Protein: 2.5g

*remember when adding optional toppings, they add a little protein & sugar

fat-girl-slim08

At Goal & Now Maintaining
I just wanted to say Thankyou for these recipes you are so kind and considerate to go out of your way to share with us so Thanks very Much! You are a real Star and a Credit to this forum!!
They all sound Yummy!! X

grom

Slim for 2009
I'm getting ready for my puree stage and can't wait to try some of these! I have two WLS cook books but they are American (no offence PG!) and am struggling to find something I fancy - will have a proper look tonight! I have loads of SW and WW cook books and recipes so I'm sure I can adapt a lot of those recipes to suit. One recipe from the cook books did stick in my mind - it's mashed celeriac! Sounds really nice so am going to try that first! Will keep you posted.

grom

Slim for 2009
MMM YUMMY PUREE FOOD!

Just made pureed sweet potato and colly with 25g low fat grated cheese, pinch of salt and a couple of squirts of spray light butter flavour. Just my sort of comfort food and a portion each of carbs, veg and protein. It's really weird to be able to eat again!!

phatgirl

That is excellent Grom, I really loved getting to puree also. Enjoy!! Oh, also it was smart to mix all three things together. That is the way to get all you nutrients in!

N;):D:p