• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food- what to i need to buy for just after my op?

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Hiya all

Just wondered if theres anything i need to put on my shopping list for after i come home from hospital.

Yogurts? Cup a soups? Anything in particular?

Help! :confused:

Yoghurts, smooth low sugar ones. The small muller light smooth are good.
Soups, small low fat/sugar ones. The weight watchers range are good. cup a soups not so good. You can go for the fresh ones like covent garden etc but you will need to blitz them smooth in a blender first. Aim for less than 5g sugar and fat per 100g.
Milk - preferably skimmed but semi is ok.
Fruit juice - pure orange is a good source of vits
Sugar free squashes - you'll need to keep your fluids up post op and having a good variety in helps
Sugar free ice lollies - jubblies or the tube ones, the ones you buy off the shelf and freeze yourself.
Low sugar probiotic drinks - good for rebuilding your inner bacteria after the op, will help with your bowels.
Benefibre - the powder of the gods, helps restore bowels

Mostly in the early days its soups, so its good to have a variety of flavours, and get a hand blender or something similar.

HTH

Shel x

innocent smoothies for kids
bovril
lipsyl

when they give you yr eds for discharge ask for sugar free paracetamol syrup rather than the soluable ones. take too long to drink.

Thanks hun, thats a massive help! x

thanks hopeless. Ill ask for that paracetamol. I have other anti depressant tablets that are huge, will i not be able to take them? I dont think they come in any other form, but seeing my nurse on monday so will ask x

right, thanks hun xx

as long as the meds are not time release they can be crushed up and mixed with a little water to take, i did this for 6 weeks rather then 2 last thing i wanted was to get a blockage

I found my tastes changed straight after surgery and things I had bought in to get me through the early stages were not what I wanted and I ended up throwing most of it away....did make some homemade soup, blended it down to mush and froze it..that was delicious...its trial and error in the first few months...xx

tablets are large slow release capsules, so cant be crushed, so ill get that checked out.
Just got some ww soups as they are on 3 for 2 at morrisons.

thanks hopeless. Ill ask for that paracetamol. I have other anti depressant tablets that are huge, will i not be able to take them? I dont think they come in any other form, but seeing my nurse on monday so will ask x

Hi FEDup
i take citalopram and my operation is tomorrow, I went to see my GP last week and he gave them to me in liquid drop form for while I am post surgery.
Hope this helps. I do know that there are a few of the common ones that are syrup based just ask your GP.

xx

I am 3 days post-op (NHS), discharged yesterday with a huge bag of meds including soluble paracetamol and my antidepressants in drop form.

Does anyone know if Venlafaxine comes in drop/syrup form then?

Back