• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to buy.....uk websites? (worried)

Carolined

So after 2 years I finally have been accepted for bypass. It has been a long and stressful 2 years. Now I am just waiting for a call to give me my date.
Should be looking at August if all goes well!

I would like to get cracking with the shopping! What did you buy?
Anything that helped the pre op diet would be welcome.

also i am TERRIFIED of hair loss......

know of any sites i can buy supplements made for bariatric surgery patients?

ive googled but cant be doing a very good job as they are all American sites, which means very costly postage....

thanks ladies and gents xxx

Hi,
I know your terrified of loosing your hair but I'm afraid it's going to happen..regardless of ANY supplements you might buy.
The trick is to make sure you keep your protein levels good...either by food/dried milk(marvel) or a protein shake.
The hair is made up of proteins,and also keeping the protein right aid in healing.
When I had the bypass done I was given zinc and selenium and bought the perfectil from boots...also tryed adding biotin,then the hairloss shampoo(the one advertised on tv)..and nothing stopped the hairloss.
But don't worry to much I've got really fine hair,and I was ok,just a little shredding.
It's a small price to pay to getting your body Smaller..and it stopped for me about 15 months out I think.
My little tip..is buy a tangle teezer brush,these are far more gentle on the hair when it's under stress.
Hope this helps x

Do you know what pre-op diet you are doing?
As for hair loss I'm almost 7 months out and not had any yet not sure when it starts I think its different for each person, as for supplements I'm not sure there is anything that really works, good luck with it all xx

If its going to happen its going to happen hun. Its all part of the process as the body tries to conserve its energy. As far as the body is concerned the hair is expendable. I had really thick hair and at the height of my hair loss it was really frightening even my hairdresser freaked. However it was never really noticable to anybody else and after a couple of months it stopped falling out and a few months later started growing thicker again. Yesterday my hairdresser told me that she thinks my hair is now the best its been in years. So try not to worry hun ;)

Ditto. Hair came out in handfuls around 6 months. No one could see it apart from me thankfully and it grew back in ok. As everyone else says, it's really a tiny trade off and not worth worrying about.

You really don't need to go out shopping yet. Put some pennies away. Clothes shopping turns into an expensive hobby but is such great fun !

what pre op diet are you doing ??

hair loss i have always lost mines anyways so i dont notice any difference but mine is so thick anyway i prob wont notice but i do see it as a small price to pay for the new me

I remember you hon :) So pleased its finally come around. My top tip for hair loss is to ensure that you take your calcium twice a day, split your dose so its properly absorbed.

hi there! Its lovely to know i've been remembered. Yup I finally have a date =D 1st August 2014, I start my pre op diet this Sunday. I will be on 3 slimfast shakes a day for 3 weeks.

I know I am going to struggle, trying to find things to do but i'm struggling with ideas.

I'm so thankful for being part of this group x

I haven't had a problem with hair loss - or else I haven't noticed!! - but follow Yves advice as she is the 'bible' of the forum :)

Definitely yes to save up for clothes shopping. Also research your local charity shops. Some are better (ie cheaper!!) than others. Also eBay postings by insomniacs. My best bargains have been bought in the middle of the night!!

hi there! Its lovely to know i've been remembered. Yup I finally have a date =D 1st August 2014, I start my pre op diet this Sunday. I will be on 3 slimfast shakes a day for 3 weeks. I know I am going to struggle, trying to find things to do but i'm struggling with ideas. I'm so thankful for being part of this group x

Congrats.

It's not that bad on Slimfast. The first few days were hardest then it becomes routine. The headaches subsided after about four days and after a week I didn't excuse myself when other people were eating.

I'm now on day 15 of pre-op and my sleeping is normal, no headaches and I even went out to a pub today and ordered three pints of tap water. Cheap day!

I am worried about alopecia but at the same time realise having short hair is in my favour. I guess I'll live with it. If it's too obvious I might go slaphead style.

Back