• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Foods that taste yummy!!!!

Cowgirl

Licks the lid of life!
Hi everyone

I want to hear peoples ideas on getting nice flavours together on an after surgery diet. Passed the liquid stage now and have done well and am now going to the mushy stage. I dont know what would always taste nice and I dont want to waste food.

I'm really missing curry. So tonight, I cooked some basmati rice and mixed it with Korma sauce and made little portions of it for dinners and have frozen it.

Im not a massive fan of tomato based sauces to mix with pasta and was wondering if anyone has some good pasta ideas?

Any receipes would be grate!

I'm trying to curb certain craving which I have managed by mixing a stuffing ball and mashing it in gravy. This was when I was craving sausages!!! it worked a treat as they were sausage meat stuffing balls! great stuff!

Looking forward to your help and ideas!

glad your doing well !! i have a sugestion for the pasta, i cant eat alot of pasta as it fills me up quicky, maybe pasta is a little harsh yet for the mushies stage but we all different. if your not keen on tomato based pastas, you could always try tikka pasta u just cook your pasta as normal then add some low fat curry sauce i use the asda low fat or any of your own choice its nice with added finely chopped mushroom and sweetcorn, just remember to chew the pasta really well as it can block you up.

liz x

Last edited:
oh i forgot to say my fav food on mushy stage is fish pie very band friendly !

Hiya Gina,

Glad your ok, I was going to put a thread very similar for some ideas.

One query though I was told no rice for 3 months as it expands too much in stomach, was you not told that?

Are you completely off liquids now?

Ive got a nice soup one.......

chopped onions softened in bit of olive oil
1 heaped tablespoon of curry powder
5 parsnips chopped
2 med potatoes chopped
boil up in stock till soft
liquidise and add single cream if wish

makes a lovely curried parsnip soup i've been living off it.

Dee xx

PS Great weightloss

Hey, I have some ideas but I am 1) post-op but not to puree & 2) bypasser not band.

With that said, how much cooking do you do? Can you make a simple cheese sauce? I have a lovely one that can be adapted for low fat if you like. Also, soups make a lovely base for pasta so if you have a fav one you can add it to your pasta, be creative with flavours and buy just one can at a time so you won't feel wasteful if you hate it! Another route is low fat yogurt with some herbs you like (italian herbs, dill, rosemary) added into your warm pasta.

I have more ideas for you if you like or just wait for a bander with experience to guide you. Happy eating.:eat:

Okay, just give me a minute to type it up. I make it from memory.

:D

glad your doing well !! i have a sugestion for the pasta, i cant eat alot of pasta as it fills me up quicky, maybe pasta is a little harsh yet for the mushies stage but we all different. if your not keen on tomato based pastas, you could always try tikka pasta u just cook your pasta as normal then add some low fat curry sauce i use the asda low fat or any of your own choice its nice with added finely chopped mushroom and sweetcorn, just remember to chew the pasta really well as it can block you up.

liz x

I'm gonna blend the pasta and add sauce to it, so I'm not going to have big chunks of it! SOunds great to add a sauce like that, thanks Liz!xx

Hiya Gina,

Glad your ok, I was going to put a thread very similar for some ideas.

One query though I was told no rice for 3 months as it expands too much in stomach, was you not told that?

Are you completely off liquids now?

Ive got a nice soup one.......

chopped onions softened in bit of olive oil
1 heaped tablespoon of curry powder
5 parsnips chopped
2 med potatoes chopped
boil up in stock till soft
liquidise and add single cream if wish

makes a lovely curried parsnip soup i've been living off it.

Dee xx

PS Great weightloss

Hi Dee

Yes I finished liquids today and had a little sheppards pie tonight, it was gorgeous!!!! Chewed it thoroughly and had no problems with it at all. No I wasnt told that about the rice. I'm allows to have it blended like I am allowed soft pasta this week. How weird that we all get told different things!

I adapt a delia fat free white sauce for pasta.

Fatless White Sauce from Delia Online

You can add tomato puree for a creamy tomato sauce, add low fat mature cheddar and a tspoon of wholegrain mustard for cheese sauce etc. Use it as is for lasagne, then top with parmesan.

For pasta, a good low fat sauce is low fat condensed soups, like Campbells. Mushroom and chicken are good, and they have recipes on the side of the can ;)

Personally, I find strong flavours really help. When you have to chew something endlessly it helps if it has a really powerful flavour to begin with.

Thanks Shel

yes, I find strong flavours the best too!

I have made the following recipe from memory, but the proportions will have to be adjusted to suit your portion size. This makes sauce for 4 "normal" servings of pasta. Please give me feedback when you use it, this is a whole new cooking world for me too. I am thinking for a WLS person this would be 8-10 servings. This does refrigerate well (3 days) or can be frozen for up to a month.

Simple Low-fat Cheese Sauce

Ingredients:
Low fat cheese of choice
(shredded is best, melts better)
or sharp cheese which is less oily
6 ounces

Flour
6 tablespoons

Low fat margarine spread
2 tablespoons

Semi-skim Milk
(don’t recommend skim, you need a bit of fat)
250-350* mils

English mustard
1-2 teaspoons
to taste

Fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon

Ground nutmeg (optional but gives nice zing)
1/4 teaspoon

Using a medium size sauce pot, turn your hob temp to medium. Add margarine. Once that has begun to melt, add in flour and stir. I find that a large metal spoon works best. Stir for a couple of minutes, allowing the texture to go from dry and clumpy, to wet, then to slightly dry again.

Add a splash of milk, stir until combined. Repeat until you have used all of the milk, then add cheese. Don’t worry if it looks clumpy before or after cheese, it will smooth out. Once the cheese starts to melt, add in the mustard, pepper & nutmeg. As soon as it looks velvety & smooth, remove from heat.

The whole process doesn’t take too long (less than 10 mins) but requires lots of stirring so give it your full attention.

*Don’t be afraid to add a little extra milk as you go if it looks too dry, sometimes weather & hob temp will change the consistency.

When the sauce is room temp, you can spread it on things if desired.

Last edited:
One thing I did was use mash like a jacket spud (no skin worries, melt some cheese onto it and add tuna mooshed up in the lowest fast mayo and had that on top, add a little marg or butter, grind some black pepper and hey presto, tasty jacket spud flavour but band friendly.

Also try a carbonara sauce - that goes down ok, but if you are worried about the little bits of ham, de ham it first. The flavour is there but not the bits.

I was told no pasta or rice until after the first fill, as it swells up more once you eat it.

I had spaghetti bolognese the other night on mash, that was actually really nice.

I can now almost eat everything, went out for my birtday last night and had scallops for a starter and a saddle of venison for the main. (one of those restaurants that present food a la masterchef, small but soooooo tasty) I even cope with celery and leeks.

You just have to try stuff and see how you go...have fun experimenting...:D

Well Guys, Ive beaten the rice and pasta myth!

For lunch today I had blended rice and lamb mince in korma sauce and it was gorgeous!

Its been down for over an hour now and although I couldn't eat a lot of it, I havent got any pains, bloating or anything!

I had a late lunch as Im going to a fireworks doo tonight and will have a jacket potato there. Well, just the mushy inside with a bit of btter and salad cream!

Back