• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

for those concerned re wrap

BigDee's now little

There have been a number of people who have expressed some concern regarding the wrap over the last few weeks, so i decided to go and ask snow white (who has lost best part of 10 stone with wrap) a few questions, and here is her reply to me; with her expressed permission I will add.

Of course I don't mind. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was waiting until I could get onto my laptop. First, can I say you are making a great decision having the wrap. Also I don't mind this post being copied and pasted onto the wls forum if you feel it would be helpful to the others.

1 do you ever wish you had gone for the sleeve?
Not for a second! I researched and researched the procedures. I had my surgery with Cosmetic Bliss who put me in touch with other wrap patients. Once I spoke to them and saw the results I was sold. Also I had two year old twins at the time and I was slightly concerned over the activity level I would have in the immediate post op period. I wanted as little down time as possible. As it happens, I really didn't have any. I mostly resumed normal activity (within reason) a week or two out. I returned to work 2 weeks post op. Only because my gp had a minimum amount of time he would sign me off for. He wanted me to take longer as he was used to bypass patients and knew nothing about the wrap. BTW: two nurses from my gp surgery have since had the wrap after seeing how well it worked for me.

2 how much restriction do you have?
I can comfortably manage about the equivalent of a soup ladles worth of quite stodgy foods, more for liquidy foods. I eat anything, just get uncomfortably full if I push it. For example we had a chinese takeaway the other night and I could just barely manage 2 sweet and sour chicken balls and about 1/2 cup of rice. On the odd treat occasion I don't order my own portion as its a total waste.

3 what diet rules did you follow post op?
The basics of the diet given to me by my provider which is similar to that of bypass patients. Liquids to much to solids, etc. After that it's just small portions of good food. You will start looking at quality rather then quantity. So, go for the better cut of meat etc, because the portion is so small the cost is minimal. You need to prioritise protein. But, basically just follow the healthy eating plate on a much smaller plate. With treats when you fancy it.

4 do you think that other peoples lack of weight loss is more down to not sticking to correct diet than the procedure itself?
Unless something went very wrong with the procedure (unlikely) you will have amazing restriction! However, as cliché as it is the op does not fix your brain! But, it gives you a tool to make you pause before trying to eat to much because you just physically can't. You still need to think about your food choices but it makes it so much easier to do. My eating pattern is so polar opposite to what it was before. If you ever watched man versus food, the challenges he does would have been a walk in the park. I craved the food and literally would get the sweats and be in almost pain until I got it. It was like heroin to me. Now the craving is pretty much gone. I get hungry but it's I assume what "normal" people feel. Its biological not psychological now. The weight loss is my addiction and my freedom on my feet is liberating.

5. any advice you can offer me?
My best advice is DO IT! Don't look back, I know it all seems really scary; the surgery, Czech, "appearance of it being untested" But, you can do it and be successful. If someone had told me a year ago I would be running 3 times a week and entering races, wearing a size 12???? I would have asked them how much crack they had just smoked! This life I have now is what I always thought was out of my reach. It's not just the big things that change. Being able to get off the floor without using my hands or sitting at a restaurant without my boobs sitting on the top of the table, a napkin on my lap YES I have a lap!! I suspected it was there...lol
You will not regret your decision. Good luck! Anything you need to ask, please feel free.
x

wobblestokie

I can fully agree with Snow White regarding the 'down time' I was ready for anything after just a few days. I cant comment on the rest yet as I am still on fluids (last week yyeeeyyy)

BTW congrats to snow white for the weight loss....fantastic!

Keep smiling Dee...wot be long now

xx

Snow White

If anyone has any questions or needs to be steadied during a wobble feel free to give me a shout! I love my wrap!!!!

clare12345

Snow White

What are your hunger pains like now, this is my weakness and I know sometimes it is not becasue I am physically hungry. People keep talking about the sleeve and removing the Ghrelin hunger hormone which sounds great lol but it would be nice to hear your view on this.

Tracey12

Weighed in this morning girls and 1lb down. I know its not a lot but I am soo happy with that little pound! Hopefully on the move again :)

Snow White

Because it is a new procedure I understand the wobbles. But, if the surgeon is experienced and confident in their ability everyone should be brilliant. Obviously every surgeon has their own set of stats.

Dr Cierney has done over 300 wraps and never had one "unwrap". I really don't think anyone should be worrying about coming undone. LOL

I don't think anyone should look at this as a "second" best or consolation prize surgery. If they create a 125-150 cc stomach you will lose weight. It gives a huge amount of restriction.

I think to much emphasis is put on the difference in price for this surgery. Nobody should be bargain hunting for something so life changing. I researched obesity surgeries extensively and was on the NHS bypass list. I would have been able to have it done at no charge had I gone that route. I chose a wrap because it made sense.

The procedure was completely my choice based on several months researching different surgeries. Would I do it again? In a second!! The results speak for themselves...

Snow White

Snow White

What are your hunger pains like now, this is my weakness and I know sometimes it is not becasue I am physically hungry. People keep talking about the sleeve and removing the Ghrelin hunger hormone which sounds great lol but it would be nice to hear your view on this.

Compared to what I had before I am not sure I could even call them hunger pangs. I feel what I assume a normal person feels when they are hungry. A bit of a niggle that is easily ignored. Before it was literally a big fat monkey on my back. I felt helpless with food. The control now is miles apart.

angee

I don't think there is reason to be defensive. I think you misunderstand what I meant about price. I know how much I paid and what I got for my money. I have no idea what other providers charge. My comment about price was to do with the fact that it seems like some people are feeling like it is a second rate procedure because it costs less than a bypass. That was the point I was trying to make. Everyone has to do what feels right for them.

Yes i can see what you mean and sorry about that misunderstanding. You have been so helpful to all on here so thank you

nursejojo

Compared to what I had before I am not sure I could even call them hunger pangs. I feel what I assume a normal person feels when they are hungry. A bit of a niggle that is easily ignored. Before it was literally a big fat monkey on my back. I felt helpless with food. The control now is miles apart.

Which clinic did you go to Snow White.

Snow White

Which clinic did you go to Snow White.

I had my procedure at Breclav Hospital with Dr Cierny. Unfortunately, the company that I booked through is no longer in business. However, I am not sure if it's possible to book directly with Dr C through the hospital. He changed my life. He has performed 1000 plus wraps in the last several years. What I would advise if you are shopping around if unable to have it done with him is to ensure the surgeon you book with is an actual bariatric surgeon by training. Good Luck hun xxxx Feel free to ask me anything. I am almost two years post op and can't even express how much my life has changed in every possible way xx:D

sarahloveswelshcobs

Interesting. I think you have a bit more restriction than me as I can easily drink a whole cup of coffee in one go.. and I say I can probably eat about 50% more volume.

Saying that, I dont bother having snacks any more and it's rare for me to eat breakfast.

Other than that, I dont exercise as much as I should (back to swimming tonight) - but overall, mine has also been life changing and progressing in the right direction

Snow White

I do exercise and I think it's made a big difference. I don't think I could have gotten in the 10's without my running.

Snow White

Also I meant to say liquids go in easier. I can definitely drink more volume than solids like meat. Xx

New look

Thank you for your information and I'm sure it will be a big help to many. I was about to take the plunge and sign up to the Wrap with Cosmetic Bliss in 2013, but had to stop because of some health issues. However I am fit again now and was just about to start the ball rolling again only to discover that Cosmetic Bliss has gone bust. This is very sad especially with their glowing report. So it's back to the drawing board for me and plenty more research.

Keep the good work up.

sleevedangel

I think the doctor of this makes a big difference as Snow White explained. I've seen some who've had plication/wrap do very very well and i've seen others who ended up having revision to bypass. I honestly think choosing a doctor who is well trained is the key here and also talking to patients of that doctor with the same procedure and seeing how their results are and if they are happy.